Buying my first air gun - ISW, DAW, Hunter or IHP

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Buying my first air gun - ISW, DAW, Hunter or IHP

Post by Peace Lover » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been very passionate about guns & target shooting from my childhood but have never owned a gun as such, except plastic or toy guns. I want to own a gun now that I'm self-sufficient and can set aside a little time to pursue my hobby.

I'm currently residing in Delhi and after reading thru the various posts in this forum I zeroed in on a few dealers in Chandni Chowk and and Kashmere Gate areas. Yesterday, being a Sunday I found all the dealers in Kashmere Gate closed (I knew this arlier,but wanted to take a chance). Coming to Chandni Chowk, I was easily able to locate a shop called Pt. Narsingh Dass & Sons near the Gurudwara. The owner, a very soft-spoken gentle old man, showed me the following brands which he had amongst air guns:

1. ISW Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 60m / Accurate Range 24m - Prices Rs 3500/-, 3800/-

2. DAW Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 70m - 80m - Prices Rs 3200/-, 3500/-, 4500, 4700, 5000 (0.177 cal)

3. Hunter Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 60 - 70m - Price Rs. 3500

4. Diana (Indian make) - 0.22 / Max range 80m / Price 6000/-

All the above brands are from Kolkata, he said. According to him, the best one for target practice would be the ISW, of which he as around 6 pcs in stock and I'd be able to choose one to my liking.

I asked him about IHP 35 and he said it is out of production. My question is what are your opinions on the above brands? Are these trustworthy OR have you even heard of these? Only ISW is providing a 6 months warranty on a card that also mentions its specs. DAW is heavier but the trigger is not smooth. ISW has a really smooth trigger. I believe elsewhere in this forum, someone recommends 0.177 as the choice for target shooting. But in this shop I found the 0.177 guns to be comparatively expensive - Rs 5000 and above. Can you also recommend that for a first gun, should I go for one of the above brands or buy an IHP?

Thank you in advance.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ramtiger
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Buying my first air gun - ISW, DAW, Hunter or IHP

Post by ramtiger » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Welcome to IFG

my suggestion is IHP 35

Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Peace Lover » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 am

Thanks ramtiger for your prompt response. Even I was thinking about IHP, just needed a go ahead from an experienced guy like you. Because the brands that I mentioned are so less known so I couldn't possibly expect a response on the experiences of others on these products.

Shall be posting the pics of my new gun soon.

mrast1981
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mrast1981 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am

hello sir i have recently purchase an air gun ESA .22 300M....can u give me detailed information abt this mode..i have attched the pic of my gun with this post..... as i am new in this field & dont have much knowledge about the air guns...but since childhood guns have fascinated me now i want to seriously pursue my facination & i want to practice target shooting on a regular basis...thanx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ramtiger
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ramtiger » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 pm

congrats mrast1981
Happy shooting

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello,

Do you want an air rifle for target shooting ? If yes, then none of those you mention will be suitable.
For target shooting only .177 caliber is allowed in air rifle and air pistol.
Also what is the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend. Please respond....

M.

Peace Lover wrote:Hello Everybody,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been very passionate about guns & target shooting from my childhood but have never owned a gun as such, except plastic or toy guns. I want to own a gun now that I'm self-sufficient and can set aside a little time to pursue my hobby.

I'm currently residing in Delhi and after reading thru the various posts in this forum I zeroed in on a few dealers in Chandni Chowk and and Kashmere Gate areas. Yesterday, being a Sunday I found all the dealers in Kashmere Gate closed (I knew this arlier,but wanted to take a chance). Coming to Chandni Chowk, I was easily able to locate a shop called Pt. Narsingh Dass & Sons near the Gurudwara. The owner, a very soft-spoken gentle old man, showed me the following brands which he had amongst air guns:

1. ISW Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 60m / Accurate Range 24m - Prices Rs 3500/-, 3800/-

2. DAW Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 70m - 80m - Prices Rs 3200/-, 3500/-, 4500, 4700, 5000 (0.177 cal)

3. Hunter Air Gun - 0.22 cal / Max Range 60 - 70m - Price Rs. 3500

4. Diana (Indian make) - 0.22 / Max range 80m / Price 6000/-

All the above brands are from Kolkata, he said. According to him, the best one for target practice would be the ISW, of which he as around 6 pcs in stock and I'd be able to choose one to my liking.

I asked him about IHP 35 and he said it is out of production. My question is what are your opinions on the above brands? Are these trustworthy OR have you even heard of these? Only ISW is providing a 6 months warranty on a card that also mentions its specs. DAW is heavier but the trigger is not smooth. ISW has a really smooth trigger. I believe elsewhere in this forum, someone recommends 0.177 as the choice for target shooting. But in this shop I found the 0.177 guns to be comparatively expensive - Rs 5000 and above. Can you also recommend that for a first gun, should I go for one of the above brands or buy an IHP?

Thank you in advance.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Peace Lover » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:15 pm

fantumfan2003 wrote:Hello,

Do you want an air rifle for target shooting ? If yes, then none of those you mention will be suitable.
For target shooting only .177 caliber is allowed in air rifle and air pistol.
Also what is the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend. Please respond....

M.
Hi fantumfan2003,

I want it primarily for target shooting, but for me it really doesn't matter whether it is 0.177 or 0.22 because I don't think I'll ever be practicing formally at a shooting range. As I'm a first timer I wasn't sure if I had to consider things like recoil, velocity, trigger smoothness, accurate range etc. between 0.177 and 0.22 to determine which one is better - hence I asked whether I should go for a 0.177 or 0.22. My budget is around Rs 5000.

Thanks

u_vaste
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by u_vaste » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi fantumfan2003,

I want it primarily for target shooting, but for me it really doesn't matter whether it is 0.177 or 0.22 because I don't think I'll ever be practicing formally at a shooting range. As I'm a first timer I wasn't sure if I had to consider things like recoil, velocity, trigger smoothness, accurate range etc. between 0.177 and 0.22 to determine which one is better - hence I asked whether I should go for a 0.177 or 0.22. My budget is around Rs 5000.

Thanks
Hi PL,
let me share my experience, I am also not sure that I will get chance to participate officially in near future, so want to keep this hobby low profile as possible and presently happy with pinking with airgun(IHP 35 .22cal) but I found out as you practice shooting, hunger to shoot ten X can be very addictive then all these things starts to creep on your mind at times accuracy due to pallets if not gun also frustrate you, it gets heavier than pure enjoyment of shooting. believe me I am already thinking of getting another descent air rifle for me. I got this just few months back.

so search more on forum ,listen to experience people here and decide on which gun to purchase.in my opinion go for IHP 35 .177 cal , at list more .177 imported pallets available than .22cal and its just considering your budget. :cheers:

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I have handled them pretty much all and in my opinion both of you wait some more and go for the Precihole SX100 in any flavour that suits you. Until the this new one showed up, your best bet was an IHP.

The Precihole is miles ahead of anything made in India. Super Accurate and Great Ergonomics. It will serve your casual needs today and help you grow if you decide to get serious.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Peace Lover » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks u_vaste and fantumfan2003 for your suggestions.

I never gave a thought that pellets are linked to accuracy. So it looks like imported pellets provide a better accuracy?

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

If your budget is 5K then IHP is the only *decent* option. While you might want to only link, it would be wise going to the range at some point or the other - hence I would go for .177. Air weapon target shooting restricts to 10m only - hence IHP N25 ought to do. Among the Indian pellets, I have found gsmith and Mastershot to be better than others from IHP. Good Luck and Happy Shooting. :cheers:

Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Peace Lover » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks airgun_novice, good info.

Do you know what is the velocity (FPS) of the current makes of IHPs in 0.177 and 0.22 calibers?

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 am

.177 is 600 to 625 & .22 is 450 FPS out of Box with out any tunning

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am

Do you know what is the velocity (FPS) of the current makes of IHPs in 0.177 and 0.22 calibers?
.177 is 600 to 625 & .22 is 450 FPS out of Box with out any tunning
I have given the reading of IHP

Peace Lover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Peace Lover » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks Pratik. Looks like the 0.22's velocity at 450 fps is pretty low. Just browsing casually on the net took me to this gun at PyramydAir which seems to be very accurate and its 0.22 version fires at 800 fps plus its just $99. Sadly we can't import it or even if we could add to it the customs duty + the trouble. We can only wait and see if Co.s like Precihole can make our wishes come true.

The gun I was talking about: (have a look at the attached image) - http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_10 ... Black/2673

I will probably settle for an IHP 35 at 0.177 cal for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.