Airgun Import - renowned shooter or club membership?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sandeepyadavggn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Airgun Import - renowned shooter or club membership?

Post by sandeepyadavggn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 am

As per my knowledge , now only renowned shooters can import airguns.please visit http://www.ieport.com/2011-2012/notific ... not-95.htm.
I was going to be a member of State Rifle Association and planning to import from pyramidair but my bad luck .
Anyone there who recently imported air gun with any rifle association membership but not a renowned shooter. Please reply......

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Airgun Import - renowned shooter or club membership?

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2779.
kindly go thro'' this post .
regards
dr.jk

sandeepyadavggn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sandeepyadavggn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks.

Till now , what I understand , is only renowned shooters can import a air rifle now. Rifle Association membership is not enough to import unless you are a renowned shooter.

Humrahi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Humrahi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Regarding Airgun Import. The link above provided by Sandeep , refers to " import of Arms & Ammunition against a license " that comes under Arms act of 1959. Air guns or Air rifles/or Air Pistols do not belong in this category.
I never heard of a "renowned shot " belong in this category.

Also, how weird is this DGFT policy : You can buy an Indian made air rifle in .22 cal in India but cannot import the same cal air rifle ! Any protest by members of shooting fraternity with Director General of Foreign Trade ? Don't you guys think it is time to be logical about this issue ? Please count me in this battle against non-sense policies that are a joke to other citizens of the world !

No wonder they call it the 3rd world country policy.
Last edited by Humrahi on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandeepyadavggn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sandeepyadavggn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Humrahi. I think u cleared my doubt.But it needs more elaboration from our shooter bros. Anyone there to clear it?
As per amended rule,
3. After amendment the Import Licensing Note (1) would read as below:
“Import of arms (including parts thereof) & ammunition is permitted freely to the following sports persons/sports bodies:
Renowned shooters (as defined in Import Licensing Note 3) on the recommendation of National Rifle Association of India (NRAI); National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for its own use and for transfer to its State/district affiliates by due certification by Sports Authority of India; Sports Authority of India (SAI) or State Sport Authorities of concerned State by self certification and Services Sports Control Board (SSCB), Ministry of Defence. Respective recommending or certifying Bodies will maintain the required records. “

It does not show airgun anywhere. Humrahi may be right. If it is correct , then u saved me. Thanks Humrahi....

Humrahi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Humrahi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm

You are welcome Sandeep ! What is not written also counts !

mjagtiani
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mjagtiani » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:05 am

Hello All.

I know this post is old, but I had called a customs clearing agent today to help me before I ordered a .177 airgun. He has told me that it will get cleared at Mumbai only if you are a renowned shot.

I imported a Steyr LP10E last year thru their dealer in India and the dealer managed the customs clearance. This time I was planning a Benjamin Marauder or something of that caregory. But this new information has dampened my spirits. Does anybody have the latest information on this topic. Seems that the 2012 notification has confused the customs guys and left it for them to interpret the law. Maybe another city customs are clearing airguns for members who are not renowned shots. Maybe an RTI to DGFT may help.

Flip side to this adversity is that I can make it a goal to take part in competitions this year with my Steyr and become a renowned shot before importing the next airgun. Frankly I was not going for matches because of my work and family commitments. Maybe its time to buck up and show them!!!