Weihrauch HW 45

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: my new prize possession HW 45

Post by Crete » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:09 pm

TC,

Just go ahead and get the HW 45 in .177 cal. (4.5mm) and later acquire the .20 cal. (5.0mm) and .22 ca. (5.5mm) spare barrels.

There is no way of tuning-down the HW 45. They come out as a single power output item. Even the US-destined Beeman P1 is just like the HW 45. Both are equally powerful. There is no weak HW 45 around as the pistol in .177 cal. has two power settings (the .20 and .22 have only one), only the first scale cocking is weak, but who needs it right?

My opinion is that you start with a basic .177 cal. HW 45 before moving on the caliber scale. In the States and Britain the .177 cal. HW 45's command a premium in the second-hand market, if that sort of thing interest you. In other words, the resale price of a .177 is higher than the price paid for it in factory-new condition! In fact they are becoming scarce. The .22 cal. are the most common HW 45s around and then the .20 cal. which command the highest price in both as a new basic pistol and as an accessory spare bbl.

Good luck!

Mack The Knife,

Count me in the IFG Team! :D

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Mack The Knife, thanks a ton. Stopping over at KL wont be a bad idea. Havent seen the place. Can you please ask your friend to find out the location of good stores. I will manage the rest.

I am getting more confused now. A brother figure who procured some Umarex Co2 pistols from Hong Kong said (quite authoritatively) that the limit is 2 joules (not 20 as I heard yesterday). Dont worry. Will keep checking till I buy the tickets.

Nicos, according to my knowledge any spring piston weapon can be detuned or even be put on steroids by playing with the spring.
But I will go by what you are say. I never think much about resale value of my babies but will try to get the .22 barrel if this thing works out. I dont think getting a .20 will be of any use to me. Pellets are not available here.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Thanks again

TC

PS : BOTTOMLINE : I WANT TO BE IN THE TEAM TOO !!!!!!!!!

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:21 pm

TC,

Of course, all spring-powered airguns can be detuned. My point is that the appeal of the HW 45 is its power matched with accuracy, two aspects that are rarely seen nowdays. If a HW 45 gets de-tuned it would render the first cocking slot useless. The .177 cal. version has a dual power, LOW and HIGH. The user can choose which one to use. Cock the pistol to the vertical 45 degrees and you get the LOW power setting. Continue the cocking movement until the upper part moves further away (like Mack The Knife showed in his pics) and you get the HIGH setting. At the HIGH setting the HW 45 is as powerful as a HW 30 or Beeman R7 air RIFLE! It's power will astonish you (in .177 cal.).

Nobody will pay US$380 for a detuned HW 45. It just won't happen, as taking it apart and putting it back together (for an eventual upgrade or supposedly down one) is a pig! Not recommended for the faint-hearted, or for the weekend gunsmith. This is not a DIY air pistol. Believe me.

The rewards, apart from extreme power AND precision, include a long-long life of enjoyment without loss of power and zero maintenance, which is great.

Most HW 45s over the years shoot at factory specs. Their piston seal is indestructible. There are known examples bought in the 1980s that shoot today as they did back then!

Trust me, after breaking-in, cocking becomes easier (!) and power goes UP ! I've seen it in many HW 45s.

You'll be talking about it to your grandchildren... :D

Best,
N

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:18 pm

TC,

You are most welcome. The e-mail has been sent and I hope to get an early reply.

Regarding the calibre for the 45, I suggest you opt for .177" as it will be easier for you to get reasonable match quality ammo via WBRA, etc.

Mack The Knife

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 am

Hey Guys,

I need to go and check the HW 45 again very soon..The last time, somehow I liked the HW 75 more than the HW 45...But as Mack The Knife has told me when I had visited him and if you can get both.,,

TC,

If i would, I would get a HW 45 in .177 model, for reasons, as Mack The Knife has suggested

1) pellets are cheaper and (easier in india) to get..
2) with limited power (even at high) the pistol would do about 175 m/s with a .177 caliber..(most magnum air rifles do about 300 m/s) ..with a .177 caliber, you don't have to hold off with the flatter trajectory.., unless you are like Mack The Knife- who says lazy people shoot .177 because they are too lazy to do elevation hold offs:)

Now this is your choice...

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks Mack The Knife. Yes I plan to get the .177 HW. Thats my choice for two reasons. Availability of good fodder and two, except the W&S my whole collection is in .177.

Will wait for your feedback.

Cheers

TC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:29 pm

with a .177 caliber, you don't have to hold off with the flatter trajectory.., unless you are like Mack The Knife- who says lazy people shoot .177 because they are too lazy to do elevation hold offs:)
Hehehe... that is true to some extent but was also a bit tongue in cheek.

However, it has been observed that a higher power air-rifle (not air-pistol) in .177" calibre tends to zip through certain Schedule 5 critters (vermin) at upto 20/25 yards, thereby not dropping the critter fast enough. This means one should only aim at taking brain or CNS shots, which also means that the range is determined not by the air-rifles power but by your ability to consistently place the pellet in the right spot.

The above does not mean that one can afford to be a sloppy shooter if using a FAC rated .22" calibre air-rifle.

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

The IDEAL air pellet caiber is .20 (5.0mm)

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:20 pm

It appears that the best hunting, or power-dumping caliber at the target, is the .20 (5.0mm).

The Huge advantage of the HW 45 is that it represents a "system" air pistol, as it allows the use of three interchangable barrels.

The .177 is the fastest in velocity but the lowest in energy (by a small margin, of course). Yet, the best compromize caliber for the HW 45 is the .20, hands down.

Pellet-availability, however is still bogging down this wonderful air pellet size. In France I have to order them in Britain! None is locally available. In Greece, they are available in the big cities but not in small towns, where even .25 cal. air pellets (and .177 and .22) are widely available, as more hunters go for the BIGGY!

I just don't understand why there aren't more .20 cal. air pistols/rifles around.

The .20 cal. pellet flies as flat as a .177 and delivers as much energy as a .22 cal., keeping all parameters equal (pellet weight, distance, wind conditions etc.).

Just my 0.2 Drachmas... 8)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Pellet-availability, however is still bogging down this wonderful air pellet size. In France I have to order them in Britain!
Nikos, is it legal to order any calibre pellet, other than .177" calibre, into France without any paper work? Would the same hold true for a foreign national visiting France?

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Mack The Knife,

Yes, it is. Within the EU (European Union), and particularly the Shengen Treaty signatory countries, there is no more "importing", just "transfering", through international borders.

As far as Britain, Shengen and air pellets are concerned (or air rifles and air pistols, as well), all "transfers" are legal.

Between the EU and India, or the EU and the US, then, yes that sort of transaction may require some paperwork, not always, but nothing major.

I have received air rifles from Britain and the US, both in France and Greece without a hinch.

N.-

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Nicos, you are right about the .20. Reviews say the same. Point is in India we just cant get out of .177 and .22. Darn Luck !!!!

Thread is getting intersting.

Cheers

TC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks, Nikos. Would it be just as easy for an Indian ordering pellets into France?

Mack The Knife

P.S.: TC, I don't think I have even seen a .20 calibre pellet, ever!
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm

TC,

Allow me to suggest that you go here http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts ... at=Pellets

and order whatever you like.

I'm sure it's not cheap, but if you can affort it, there is a way, usually.

Cheers,
N._

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Nikos,

We are not permitted to import pellets into India via post or courier. It is only permitted as part of one's checked-in luggage.

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

I knew I was going to need a Dremel, one day

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Mack The Knife,

While attempting to swap bbls, just now, I managed to strip one of the two screws :oops:

Ok, now I don't need an excuse to go out and buy a Dremel :D

Those hex screws are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soft.

I will buy some screws, as well. The Allen key #2 works for a couple of bbl changes, but after that one needs new #2 hex screws for sure.

I will let you know as events develop...