Weihrauch HW 45

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: HW 45 .177 cal. preferences and shooting technique (long

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Crete";p="9711 wrote:As for the hold:

Keep the thumb away from the grip.
Thanks, Nikos.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Well it could have been 19 years even after my heroic efforts. ;-). Anyway congratulations on a really powerful beastie, I hate to think how my IZH would feel. Stop cribbing about accuracy already...go ahead thwack some of your metal crows and enjoy the .45 feel.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="9595 wrote:
monty3006";p="9588 wrote:rusty banana waits 21 years for an air pistol..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Headlines in my newspaper for sure.
:) :)
You better believe it!

First came across a highly Venomised one in the 1986 Annual issue of Guns & Ammo and always had my eyes on one since then.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Advance notice!

Post by Crete » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Mack The Knife,

Thanks. Yes, that's probable.

Fact is I am planning a trip to Bangalore sometime this year. I have a long standing proposal to stay with a friend I met at the Andaman Islands last year.

We haven't fixed anything yet, but September ('07) is a possibility. Is it very hot in Sept. in Bangalore? The idea is to continue afterwards to northern India. It suits me in September because friends can stay in our home and take care of the cats (a common practice around here)! :D

EDIT: Email received. Many thanks.

Kind regards,
Nikos
Last edited by Crete on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Here she is - HW45 in .22" calibre.

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Stop cribbing about accuracy already
I did not spare your shoddy groups, so don't see why I should spare my attempt.

See, at least I'm an even handed bloke. :mrgreen:

Did not understand that bit the 19 years.

You have a PM.

Take care.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: You missed a heck of a day out. Have the doc tell you about it. Like he'd need prompting. :roll: The jammy git!
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Asif,

Decided to see if I could use the cb-625 to chrono the 45 and managed to do so. Glad I did because the velocities just aren't consistent - at least not the pellets I have at hand.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Incidentally, this is the article that first brought the HW45 and Venom Arms to my attention. It'sthe 1987 annual issue of G&A and not 1996 as mentioned earlier.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi Nikos,

Even a few years back September was a good time of year for Bangalore but not any longer. The entire city and weather have gone to pot.

I will e-mail you my contact details.

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Thank you Mack The Knife.

Which month of the year is suitable to travel to Bangalore?

Regarding a scope on the HW 45, it is an excellent idea. I have a Red Dot that I put on and off. A scope will be great. Yet, the pistol is accurate even wth open sights. I will simply tell you that I get roughly the same results at 10m with the HW 45 as I do with a friend's Steyr LP10 PCP pistol! Maybe because I know my HW 45 better...

Best,
Nikos

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Nikos,

Late December would be the best time of year.

Not sure if I will go for a scope but I may mount a red dot in the future.

Having owned an LP10, I find it difficult to believe that the 45 can produce the same result. Then again, the fact remains that the vast majority is not capable of making the most of the inherent accuracy of a modern airgun.

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Mack The Knife,

Thank you. It depends on many factors. December is tricky to be away, as we have to be w/family. We shall see.

Well, the thing with a Target PCP pistol like the LP10 is that you have to shoot that one. Learn it well and stay put. Use the same ammo etc.

Switch to a Walther PCP pistol and you have to start all over again. That's my personal take on this.

The point with the HW 45 is that although not a Target pistol, it can be shot accurately with plenty of practice. It needs to be broken-in (even second hand), in your own hand. No two shooters can shoot the same pistol as accurately. One athlete will be better at it than the other, even if the air pistol remains the same.

It is one of those things that are hard to grasp.

Take pellets for instance.

They stabilize at different distances in different airguns.

One needs to build his/her own "history" with a particular model.

This takes us a long-long way, it seems. Truth is: most shooters plink.

It's entertainment more than anything. I read somewhere (a few years ago), that those serious enough to care about accuracy, or are active in competitive air pistol disciplines, account for less than 10% of the total air pistol shooting public in the States (the only country where they bother to count beans like these)...

Cheers,
Nikos

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Rustom..

CHecked with my bro in Dubai, though he is not a techincal gun freak but keeps a fair knwoledge of the legalities there and stated that Rifles / Guns aint banned but not allowed to minors ( but ofcourse)..although states like Al Ain, Ras Khaimah and Fujeirah did call for a ban in 2005.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Jumy,

Gun ownership is NOT banned in the UAE or in any other GCC country. Hunting of the indigenous wildlife is as many of the native species are close to extinction. What I understand is that foreigners can also own arms if they are given an NOC by the Ministry of Defence. Some other GCC countries like Saudi Arabia even offer carry permits to US and UK citizens after the attacks on them some years ago inside that country. ALso the ownership of full automatic firearms is permitted to citizens. I am not sure if foreigners are allowed this.

Saeed Al Maktoum from Dubai owns the world's largest shooting and hunting forum www.accuratereloading.com and anyone who has questions about the UAE could post there and ask for advice.

Incidentally, I was offered a sponsorship to set up a shop to sell fine guns in Kuwait by some friends in the ruling family there some years ago. I did not as I moved to the USA instead. The proposal still exists on paper and I may take it up in the future if I decide to.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks, Jumq.

Mack The Knife

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Thanks Mehul for the Info .. :)

From what i recollect on reading once in Khaleej Times ( a local news paper of UAE ) , Sheikh Mohd Bin Rashid Al Maktoum , Sheikh Humiad Al Nauami ( current Ruler of Ajman ) and Ahmed Al Tayer are the best collectors of supreme weapons along with their interests in equines .. Thats only how far as my knowledge goes .. rest of the details is just word to mouth ..

Jumy.

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi Guys ,
Airguns are not banned in the UAE.I have lived here for the last 13 years and havent seen any such thing.
BTW Mack The Knife your HW45 in .22 sure will be good compition for mine in .177. I have fitted mine out with a Pachmyer(hope i spelt that right!) rubber grip.And it also has the dual power level.Say noticed that yours has the velocity lowered F insignia on it.Wont deliver the best performance!