Weihrauch HW 45

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Horrid thing to have happened. Was there any trace of threadlock on the screws?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: my new prize possession HW 45

Post by Crete » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:15 am

Mack The Knife,

Yes. Sticky, brownish and nasty. I find it difficult to remove. It may be some thread-locking substance. The screws sometimes come off easily and sometimes one gets stuck, like now.

The HW 45's barrel doesn't really need that much securing. The barrel(s) have a deep detent that coupled with its fixing slate stay put without fuss. Those hex screws don't need to be so tight. It's overkill!!!

I've been shooting all afternoon with one of these hex bolts on. I removed the other and kept the "stuck" one, until i get a Dremel tomorrow. It shoots fine with one bolt.

Because of the pistol's design, the slate that holds the barrel, upon closing the top part after cockind-and-loading, rests firmly on top of the compression chamber thus holding everything in place firmly.

If I had designed it I would have done away with hex screws and would have used securing clips, like the ones used to secure the motordrive on my Nikon F4E. Easy on -- easy off.

Ahhh, if only the Japs were designing the HW 45, bbl swapping would have been easier...

N._

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 am

If you have such a problem next time heat the screw. Use the tip of a red hot nail to transfer the heat to the screw. That usually breaks the threadlock bond.

Mack The Knife

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

All's Well That Ends Well!

Post by Crete » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Mack The Knife,

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, of course. I have a cook's (kitchen) torch for making creme brulee and peeling tomatos and aubergines, which I use around the house for odd jobs.

My new DREMEL Stylus (the one w/the ergonomic handle) was used this morning to cut a fine horizontal groove into the SOFT (if I knew how soft it is I could have done it w/a toothpick, turned around my finger-and-thumb :roll: ), hex screw hed (the one I bugled/stripped).

The torch was applied for a little bit.

Then with an appropriate flat head screwdriver I tried to undo it.

Nope! It didn't move.

I put the cutter drill deeper.

Some more torching.

Screwdriver.

Nope.

Still there...

Desperate to remove the hex screw, I took out the conical cutter and cut off the screw's head in half!

More torching and screwdriver AND...the rest is History.

That last bit did it.

I was then able to remove the, now looking like a rare iron butterfly, ****** screw.

I smoothed out everything and after gave a good degreasing to the iron butterfly, I swapped the .177 with the .22 cal. spare.

Uppon reassembly I used only the iron butterfly screw, not the first intact one I had removed yesterday. The pistol shoots great with that bugled up IB screw, as I have saved the other one as a reference in my quest for spare ones.

Accuracy in .22 cal. is up there with the best. Best pellets, in order of weight, not performance as they are equally accurate out to 20-25 meters (the .22 HW 45's max range):

1. Dynamic Sn2 13.0 grains
2. Benjamin Sheridan 14.3 grains
3. LOGUN Penetrator 16.0 grains

I must also stress the fact that when you buy the dual-power .177 version of the HW45, these two power levels are retained when you swap bbls.

When you buy the .20 or .22 HW 45 version you only get one power setting. One click upon cocking, not two.

Now, let me tell you: shooting the .22 cal. bbl at the LOW setting is a BLAST! You can see the pellet proding along on its way to the target...it is a savoury experience :D

Best,
N._

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Monkey see, monkey do...

Post by Crete » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:16 pm

Back on track [after the recent site crash], with a pic taken with my F4E and a loooong telephoto (it may not look like a tiger but I bet it has a tiger's heart).

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Diff between HW45 and the P1

Post by archer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:03 am

guys,
the specs of the HW45 and the P1 look similar ..... but the p1 cost almost a 100 dollars more ....so other than the company is there anything diff ....

regards

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Diff between HW45 and the P1

Post by biking3819 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:34 am

the hw 45 is made in germany,and the p1 is the same pistol imported by beeman in the usa from weihrauch ,and so the additional cost,but thats for americans,
u may buy the hw45 and enjoy the original price .
cheers sanjiv