Use of Fillers (paper / plastic etc) to help zero in -airgun

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Use of Fillers (paper / plastic etc) to help zero in -airgun

Post by snIPer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:17 pm

I dont know if this is the right place to post this - if it is not then please shift to the appropriate place.

I have noticed that gunsmiths and others likewise use paper or any other packaging material especially in airguns between the wood and the metal of the gun (near stock screws) and at the back of the gun behind the 2 pins below the cap to help sight in the weapon.

For eg the paper at the back helps the gun shoot lower (provided that sights have already been used and proved futile) and the packaging on the sides helps move the shots to the sides - i dont know how accurate this info is and would like to know more about it - is this true or is this just a bluff.

Regards,
Susheel.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:21 pm

:? :? :?
What is the connection of zeroin & paper packing????
If the stock is too loose,broken,chipped off,then these desi alternatives can be used.
It is advisble to make it permanent ,,paper packing wont last longer.Ask him to mix the wood powder(burada)with fevicol and fill it in the cracks./gaps.this will work better. i hope

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:36 pm

That is exactly what my question is :-)
well there are no cracks etc - but what i want to know is if these adjustments to the sides and back actually effect the line / angle of fire or is that only the work of the fore and rear sights
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:21 pm

The use of "shims" I think is not unusual to fit stocks to actions and for scope mounts without filing the more expensive stock/receiver/mount/scope and possibly ruining the value of the item. If it was, then gun accessory stores wd'nt sell shim kits like this one....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... aspx?p=914

Beretta, Benelli and some other shotguns also come with stock shims to customize fit.

mehulkamdar

Re: Use of Fillers (paper / plastic etc) to help zero in -ai

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Sharief,

Agree with you 100% about using plastic shims in a rimfire or centrefire rifle stock. But how are you going to work with, for example, an underlever airgun with the cut in the stock for the barrel to break open? And with paper?

Susheel,

If your air rifle has adjustable sights, then the best thing would be to adjust the sights and then leave them as they are for a particular pellet type. If a gunsmith tries to sell you an air rifle with paper bedding, don't buy it. Look for another air rifle instead. Paper absorbs moisture and dust and in time it would swell and shrink and twist the stock even more. If a dealer tries selling you an air rifle that has been "modified" with paper, just go to a different dealer instead.

Cheers!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Use of Fillers (paper / plastic etc) to help zero in -ai

Post by snIPer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks for that - so bottom line is - Packaging is of no use :-)