Diana Model 35, the old classic

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
shahid

Diana Model 35, the old classic

Post by shahid » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 am

Model 35 DIANA Air Rifle, chambered in .22 calibre is an all time favourite in India. The preferred Air Rifle that has achieved cult status.

I had always been an admirer of this particular Air Rifle and thus when I walked into the local dealers store today, accompanying a friend from India who was there to shop for some accesories and sundry, I lay my hand upon this classic rifle.

The balance and feel was good. It remains very much the same from what was introduced in late 60s except that now it comes with fibre optic sights ( optional ), adjustable front sights, a scope rail and safety catch. The new Model 31 in Kevlar stock was also an option, but I decided to stay with the trusted Model 35. Inspite of owning other Air Rifles, I somehow always wanted to try this model as well and bought it for Dhs. 750 or Indian Rs. 9,375. I believe in India even a second hand weapon is exchanged at prices like Rs. 35,000 or above. Such is the demand and popularity.

A very neat finish in shining black metal and Beechwood stocks, of a lower profile than other newer DIANA models.

At the moment a DIANA 4 x 20 mm scope sits on it but obviously a better optics scope will be ordered right away.

This weekend I plan to test it at the Sharjah Shooting club's range, first with H & N Diablo flat wadcutter pellets and then with GAMO hunter, followed by a field test in my desert camp where a shooting range has been built for Air Rifles.

I am sure the classic DIANA will be a delightful possession for many years.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Diana Model 35, the old classic

Post by Hunter » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi Shahid,

Like u mentioned above a friend of mine has just brought down the Diana-Panther 31 in .22 and .177(a pair!)Some guys have all the luck.He picked them up from Al-Sayad in Diera.He wants INR 30000 a piece.Can u please find out what the actual cost of these are in Dubai! I checked out the Diana website and the models 35/36/38/68/45/ and 31 are basically the same powerplant and dimensions save ofcourse a few cosmetic changes and stocks. The website also states 290 m/s for .i77 and 210 m/s for .22 which I would swallow with a pinch of salt anyway! But the gun comes to the shoulder very well and the recoil if I may term it that is very gentle nudge to the shoulder,partly as they are a bit nose heavy! The optic sights are a help though!

Many Thanks

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:48 pm

2 Air rifles in one go.Lots of vitamin M involved for sure.Does he do this as a business.I don't think that he would be able to make this sort of profit on anything else
It's these sort of people who were responsible for the ban on the import of firearms and now they are doing the same with the import of air rifles/pistols :evil:After 1947 the import of firearms by dealers was stopped however their import was open to individuals.The reasoning was that individuals would import firearms for their own personal needs.Firearms imported into the country were heavily taxed during the British times and so were already expensive.The ban on the import of firearms by dealers meant that the price went up further.Now a person had to either travell abroad(this was a time when air travel was expensive ) to get a firearm or have relatives abroad who could send him a firearm through post.The import through post was stopped by making ammendments in the Arms Rules.As the price of firearms steadily increased some of the dealers started sending men abroad whose sole purpose was to get a firearm for sale at a later stage at a hefty profit.To counter this,the period for which an imported firearm could not be sold was increased steadily till the period was extended to 10 years.As this,despite all efforts of the govt.,seemed to spiral out of control,the govt. finally banned the import of firearms altogether. The firearms that had been imported into the country after the import had been banned,on the NOC of Indian embassies not aware of the ban and had been confiscated,were handed over to the people who had imported them on the condition that they could not be sold for the duration of the persons life.What ever be the reason given by the govt. for banning the import,it's very clear that the major objective was to stop this trade and to prevent people from making a killing by bringing firearms into the country. This is also the reason that the firearms that have been brought into the country on TR are not allowed to be sold for his(the importers) life time.
Now don't try to crucify me by saying that this is stupid reasoning.It's not I who has made the rules.

I know of one fellow in Delhi who gets air rifles/pistols from Dubai and sells them at a hefty profit.Was told about him in 1999.This was much before the import of air rifles/pistols was allowed.I dont think that anybody needs to give into the greed of these fellows now.The fact that some of the members were able to import air arms through courier should give confidence to others who want to get a air arm, to do the same.Much cheaper this way and as time passes, would be easier also.
Shahid,
For the benefit of the members of this forum,why don't you post the contact details of the dealers in Dubai.Also, if they would export to India.
Abhijeet,

Any possibility of a section for international gun dealers?

penpusher

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:31 am

AL Sayad Hunting Equipment, Diera , Dubai, Opposite City Centre Mall is the UAE dealer for Diana. He also stocks Gamo and Combata ( Spanish ) brands and the Chinese stuff. Excellent accesories for all kinds of firearms, camping equipment, clothing are also availabe.

Price for Model 35 was Dhs. 750 as mentioned above which I bought after bargaining for Dhs. 700 finally.

This model 31 for Dhs. 990 he would have given it for Dhs. 875. It had Kevlar Stock and the new Fiber optic sights. In Indian Rupees it will be 11,250 for model 31.

The guys there speak Persian, Arabic or Malyalam, but from what I could gather, 2 to 3 Air Rifles are sold daily to tourists from India, which is dismantled - main screw of spring is opened up for transporting in a suitcase. In Dubai customs no problem. In India one has to pay some duty I guess. Danish took a Diana 36 through Lucknow, Ireckon he did not pay any custom duty.

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:34 am

Hunter from one of your posts I gather, you too live in Dubai is it ?

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Shahid,
I lived there for a short while,but still do come every now and then as my job requires me to do so. I visit Al Sayad whenever I get the time and they people out there are very friendly. They had informed me that" tourist" from India were the biggest buyers of airguns specially the HW brand. Please do keep us posted when the new Diana 460 magnum hits their gun rack as it looks like one hell of a air rifle closely styled on the HW77 standard!

Hi penpusher,
My opinion on the high prices we pay,all boils down to the risk these "carriers" take to get the stuff across to India.And with the rate of airguns being sold to Indians as this dealer in Dubai claims...must say that there are quite a few coming into the country! Talk about having a porous customs net!
The only way to bring the prices down is to open up imports...solves all problems.

Warm regds

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Hunter,
Risk..what risk.These fellows would not risk bringing in anything if there was even a remote possibility of their goods being confiscated.They do this after building contacts with the Customs and Airline staff.I am very sure the ammount to be paid is fixed,the percentages worked out before the guns are brought in.By the way,if I am not mistaken,the import of air rifles/guns/pistols is allowed to dealers.There are dealers who have been getting consignments of air rifles/pistols from abroad.

It's the potential harassment that somebody else may face,that stops people from getting an air rifle/pistol from abroad.If you are persistent,it's no deterence at all.Import through courier appears to be the easiest, though not the cheapest route.
penpusher

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi penpusher,
I disagree with your statement of "Airline staff" being involved in the loop.
Ammunition upto a limit of 5 kgs n weight is legally allowed to be carried onboard an aircraft as per IATA rules.U can also carry upto 2 firearms-unloaded of course in a secured hardcase.This ofcourse has to be brought to the attention of the concerned airline at least 4 working days b4 travel. Remember we are talking about stuff being brought into India from abroad,not vice versa.
Dubai being the market driven economy that it is,you will be sold anything that is remotely legal. Also I know that the customs do not control the outflow of goods from the airport,the police do! The police are aware that Air-guns are not illegal,hence they do not care how many u carry as long as u have a sale invoice for the same!
To sum it up I dont think any airline staff are involved,as if the stuff is within the weight and dimensions allowed,it will checked in as baggage. So if the cops not raise an alarm, no one is going to take notice.

The Customs in India ,well yes they are another story!

Best regards.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:23 pm

penpusher";p="12039 wrote:
2 Air rifles in one go.Lots of vitamin M involved for sure.Does he do this as a business.I don't think that he would be able to make this sort of profit on anything else
It's these sort of people who were responsible for the ban on the import of firearms and now they are doing the same with the import of air rifles/pistols :evil:After 1947 the import of firearms by dealers was stopped however their import was open to individuals.The reasoning was that individuals would import firearms for their own personal needs.Firearms imported into the country were heavily taxed during the British times and so were already expensive.The ban on the import of firearms by dealers meant that the price went up further.Now a person had to either travell abroad(this was a time when air travel was expensive ) to get a firearm or have relatives abroad who could send him a firearm through post.The import through post was stopped by making ammendments in the Arms Rules.As the price of firearms steadily increased some of the dealers started sending men abroad whose sole purpose was to get a firearm for sale at a later stage at a hefty profit.To counter this,the period for which an imported firearm could not be sold was increased steadily till the period was extended to 10 years.As this,despite all efforts of the govt.,seemed to spiral out of control,the govt. finally banned the import of firearms altogether. The firearms that had been imported into the country after the import had been banned,on the NOC of Indian embassies not aware of the ban and had been confiscated,were handed over to the people who had imported them on the condition that they could not be sold for the duration of the persons life.What ever be the reason given by the govt. for banning the import,it's very clear that the major objective was to stop this trade and to prevent people from making a killing by bringing firearms into the country. This is also the reason that the firearms that have been brought into the country on TR are not allowed to be sold for his(the importers) life time.
Now don't try to crucify me by saying that this is stupid reasoning.It's not I who has made the rules.

I know of one fellow in Delhi who gets air rifles/pistols from Dubai and sells them at a hefty profit.Was told about him in 1999.This was much before the import of air rifles/pistols was allowed.I dont think that anybody needs to give into the greed of these fellows now.The fact that some of the members were able to import air arms through courier should give confidence to others who want to get a air arm, to do the same.Much cheaper this way and as time passes, would be easier also.
Shahid,
For the benefit of the members of this forum,why don't you post the contact details of the dealers in Dubai.Also, if they would export to India.
Abhijeet,

Any possibility of a section for international gun dealers?

penpusher
If individuals were allowed import on some reasoning ( reasoning from authorities being the usual BS), what reason was given for dealers being not allowed to import ?

Rather than any person being responsible for effecting any ban, it is the other way round. I do not think any Vitamin M is involved anywhere for individuals bringing airguns ; one or two.

There are no separate rules for dealers in respect of airguns. Only clubs and individuals are allowed. Merely getting consignment does not necessarily indicate the existence of any such law.

Occassionally, govt depts , Navy etc ask for tenders from importers in India for bulk import of airguns. I have come across such a tender from Navy.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Hunter,

Thanks for the clarification and the information.I am a bit confused about certain things that you have said.
Also I know that the customs do not control the outflow of goods from the airport,the police do! The police are aware that Air-guns are not illegal,hence they do not care how many u carry as long as u have a sale invoice for the same!
Are you talking about India or Dubai.If you are talking about India,then I am even more confused.As far as I know,any thing coming into the country has to be as per the Exim policy.This is implemented by the Customs Dept.The police is there to maintain law and order and to assist the Customs dept and the Airport authorities.Air arms are allowed to be imported into the country,but for the personal use of the people bringing them in.A person carrying in two would be hard put to justify them as being for his own use.The way things are brought in is with the conivance of the ground staff and the personnel deployed for security.The goods are slipped in throught the back channels and without any duty being paid.

penpusher

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:35 pm

My apologies penpusher,
I was refering to Dubai and their exit policies at the international airport. This info was gleened from a few friends who work at the airport out there.

Brgds

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 am

I brought one Diana Mod 36 cal .22 from dubai but i did'nt paid any duty cause there was a duty of 30% if ur goods exceeds 12000 INR. and i had the bill of my diana which costs me approx 8500 INR. So i was too lucky for getting out easily from the coustom clerence. They did'nt questioned me much cause they knew that this is an airgun and its allowed to import by an individual.

Danish

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Danish21,Hunter,

Thanks for the information.I hope it proves usefull to other members thinking of getting an air rifle/pistol from abroad.

penpusher