Weihrauch rifle for field/ plinking use

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Weihrauch rifle for field/ plinking use

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Am thinking of ordering one of the Weihrauch air-rifles from www.airgunbuyer.com . I would like a full power air-rifle, with iron sights but a provision to add a scope later (may never do this, but who knows...).

Any opinions between the HW77 / HW95 / HW57? Power, accuracy etc. Intended use is field shooting/ plinking etc...

The calibre choice of course is restricted to .177, due to import regulations.

Do these guns work well with the yellow tin RWS "meisterkugeln" match pellets that the NRAI sells? No one seems to have much of an opinion of any of the Indian pellet brands... this is the only other easy choice that I can get my hands on...

Any other accessories, that I should think of purchasing along with this.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Weihrauch rifle for field/ plinking use

Post by penpusher » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:19 pm

From what I can see HW 95 has no iron sights.So the choice would be bet. the other two.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Abhijeet,

Get the Weihrauch HW77K. Second choice would be a HW95K. Please note the K. They stand for Karbine or Kurz. Please don't buy the standard length barrel versions.

No point getting a HW80K as the extra power will be a waste. I will tell you why over the phone. Let me know what time you will be free.

I would also recommend ordering the V-Mach (Venom) DIY FAC or non-FAC kit. It's a bit pricey at 65 quid but still worth it.

The pellets you describe sound like RWS Meisterkugeln. They have worked well in a friend's a 77k. Another sure bet (almost always) are the H&N Field & Target Trophy pellets.

You will need a scope that is rated for FAC spring-piston use. Two good examples of which are scopes from the Simmons Pro-Air series and the Bushnell Legend series. If you decdide on a scope with a 1" scope tube, buy the Sportsmatch OP25C or Pro-Mount equivalent.

If you can buy the scopes from the U.S., that would be best as you would save a substantial amount.

If you want to put a sling on your rifle, then you will need a sling plus sling swivels. I use the Uncle Mike QD swivels.

I would also suggest you talk to Lloyd about a good rifle case. However, their packing is usually top notch.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Remind Lloyd to deduct the 17.5% VAT.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:44 pm

penpusher did not realise that the HW95 had no iron sights, left out the HW97 for precisely that reason, thank you for pointing out my omission :)
Mack The Knife Bana";p="9890 wrote: I would also recommend ordering the V-Mach (Venom) DIY FAC or non-FAC kit. It's a bit pricey at 65 quid but still worth it.
Mack The Knife, what is the difference between a FAC and non-FAC kit? I take it FAC here refers to Firearms Acquisition Certificate? So I imagine a non-FAC kit should have less power than a FAC kit? Am I correct in my assumption?
The pellets you describe sound like RWS Meisterkugeln. They have worked well in a friend's a 77k. Another sure bet (almost always) are the H&N Field & Target Trophy pellets.
Spot on! The very ones! Recalled the name after I had made the post and edited the post accordingly... but it seems you beat me to the draw ;) LOL

For the H&N Field & Target, (or any others) I would be dependant on overseas visitors and/ or as and when I make a trip myself. Have already got a wish list ready for other things after the discussion You, Asif and I had the other day (regarding dolling up one of my other possessions) ;)

So a local source of pellets that work well with whichever airgun I order is an important consideration. So, it's good to hear that the RWS' work well...

I think you have a fair idea of my intended use(s), and your recommendation for a gun case and sling/ sling swivels makes sense. The scope I think I'll leave for later...

Thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed post... sound advice as always :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - Still at work, will call you once I get out of office.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi Abhijeet,

FAC stands for Fire Arms Certificate and is the equivalent of our Firearms Licence. Besides firearms (not including restricted shotguns which need a SGC - Shot Gun Certificate), a FAC is also required for those air-rifles whose muzzle energy is in excess of 12 ft.lbs..

A standard non-FAC HW77K will give you a M.E. just short of 12 ft.lbs., whilst a FAC .177" version is good upto 15.5 ft.lbs. max. You can take it a bit higher but it is not recommended.

Just got an e-mail from Lloyd pertaining to another subject and he says that Simmons U.K. have discontinued the Pro-Air series. If your eye-sight is good then try open sights for a time and see how you get on with them. The rifle balances very well without a scope and mount and Weihrauchs open sights are the best in the production airgun business - barring target airguns, ofcourse.

Don't worry about pellets. Let me know when the rifle is on it's way and I will send you a small selection to see what works best. Only hitch being sending it across. Courier wont take them any more and the post office can also be fussy. However, we will come to that at a later date.

Call me whenever it is convenient.

I am glad you are going in for an air-rifle and a quality one at that.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Remember to buy atleast one main-spring and piston washer for your nephews Diana. I forget the exact model but let Lloyd know along with the calibre. The breech seal looked fine but a spare wouldn't go amiss.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:30 pm

Welcome to the fraternity , Abhijeet !

An incredible but great decision !
Last edited by Sujay on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Abhijeet and Sujay, Guess it is becoming a cult of sorts. Imagine, Rusty, the head priest, sacrificing virgin ------- on No moon night, we all dancing around the fires brandishing our Weihrauchs. Wicked. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I confess to be guilty of the crime of contemplating to buy a HW77K.With iron sights.If I could get an engraved,walnut stocked,oil finished,venom improved, oh heaven. :D

best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Vikram";p="9899 wrote:Abhijeet and Sujay, Guess it is becoming a cult of sorts. Imagine, Rusty, the head priest, sacrificing virgin ------- on No moon night, we all dancing around the fires brandishing our Weihrauchs. Wicked. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I confess to be guilty of the crime of contemplating to buy a HW77K.With iron sights.If I could get an engraved,walnut stocked,oil finished,venom improved, oh heaven. :D

best-
Vikram
Vikram,

As the date of your return draws closer I am gradually loosing my sense of my discretion ( and sleep) :twisted: . Coupled with these naughty posts and your hidden login :shock:

At least please keep me informed. I do not insist for engraving etc and tuning can be taken care afterwards also.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Sujay";p="9895 wrote: Welcome to the fraternity , Abhijeet !

An incredible but great decision !
:) These days I am teaching my nephew how to shoot and handling his airgun brought back some pleasant childhood memories... so thought for a birthday gift I'd buy myself an adult air-rifle :mrgreen:

Am quite looking forward to it... Just need to figure a couple of details, before I take the plunge! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="9894 wrote:FAC stands for Fire Arms Certificate and is the equivalent of our Firearms Licence. Besides firearms (not including restricted shotguns which need a SGC - Shot Gun Certificate), a FAC is also required for those air-rifles whose muzzle energy is in excess of 12 ft.lbs..
Thanks for clearing that up :)
A standard non-FAC HW77K will give you a M.E. just short of 12 ft.lbs., whilst a FAC .177" version is good upto 15.5 ft.lbs. max. You can take it a bit higher but it is not recommended.
Well, it would seem that a FAC kit is quite the ticket then. Is there a downside as well?
If your eye-sight is good then try open sights for a time and see how you get on with them.
My eyesight is perfect as of now... though long hours on the computer will eventually take there toll, I'm sure :(
Don't worry about pellets. Let me know when the rifle is on it's way and I will send you a small selection to see what works best. Only hitch being sending it across. Courier wont take them any more and the post office can also be fussy. However, we will come to that at a later date.
That is a generous offer indeed! From what I have read on the airguns section, it seems each gun can be rather unique in it's preference for a particular type of pellet, or is it simply that these preferences reflect across the entire model+make range?
I am glad you are going in for an air-rifle and a quality one at that.
Inspired in no small measure, by the discussions on this board! :)
P.S.: Remember to buy atleast one main-spring and piston washer for your nephews Diana. I forget the exact model but let Lloyd know along with the calibre. The breech seal looked fine but a spare wouldn't go amiss.
My nephews paternal uncle will be in UK for a fortnight later this month, will do the research and and give him the list or I'll order to have the parts delivered to wherever he is staying. This may work out better/ faster/ cheaper. Will also ask him to get .22 pellets for my nephew... imported .22 pellets seem to be a scarce commodity around here :P Will also be experimenting with the pellet lube mixes being discussed on the other thread... as you know the ones he is currently using are at least 20 years old and maybe that's part of the problem...

Once again, thanks for the detailed post. It's been very helpful :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:35 am

Well, it would seem that a FAC kit is quite the ticket then. Is there a downside as well?
I am afraid there is but wouldn't like to talk about that here.

From what I have read on the airguns section, it seems each gun can be rather unique in it's preference for a particular type of pellet, or is it simply that these preferences reflect across the entire model+make range?
Consecutive serial numbers of the same model have been known to have a preference for different pellets. So one must try as many pellets as possible before arriving at the best pellet for that particular airgun. However, there are usually some pellet brands that almost always work well for some airguns.
Once again, thanks for the detailed post. It's been very helpful.
My pleasure. The bill will be in the post today. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Oye what's wrong with my Sino-American alliance the QB 78 ? ;-) Imagine me there too...pretty please.
Vikram";p="9899 wrote:Dev
Abhijeet and Sujay, Guess it is becoming a cult of sorts. Imagine, Rusty, the head priest, sacrificing virgin ------- on No moon night, we all dancing around the fires brandishing our Weihrauchs. Wicked. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I confess to be guilty of the crime of contemplating to buy a HW77K.With iron sights.If I could get an engraved,walnut stocked,oil finished,venom improved, oh heaven. :D

best-
Vikram
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Only if you sell the Bolero, buy a Weihrauch and wear Lederhosen.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I better take the NVD out of mothballs to film you guys at it-Sino american lederhosen initiation-no latex , guys?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Und was ist diese NVD, Herr Doktor?