Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Post by Amit357 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi HVJ1,thanks for your support.My email id is [email protected] will PM you with the details

For Advertising mail webmaster
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 pm

karizman wrote:
It is also great to know that it will soon become Tiger reserve. I hope it remains reserved forest & does not become picnik spot with new year parties & hotels & resorts spread across periphery just like Yeoor hills & Borivali National park.

I have read about Jim Corbett, Dr. Jane Goodall & Dr. Salim Ali & many more wild life conservators from around the world. They never tried to acquire any land to develop any kind of resorts in or around forest. As per their observations, humans should maintain healthy distance from nature to allow maximum proliferation & wellbeing of natural flora & fauna.

I have great respect for above mentioned people & I hope all the nature lovers behave like them to let remain our jungles as natural as they are for so long. Just care for them, stop poachers, avoid use of synthetic products, practice organic farming, try to maintain healthy distance between human settlements & forest & nature will take care of it self.

We being nature lover we get suffocated in urban surroundings & run to forests, villages to find some peace, solace in such places but don't like to stay in a hut or without air conditioned rooms with finest urban goodies. This infrastructure making & maintaining process spoils the whole life cycle being maintained in these serene places by nature for centuries.

The very purpose of being in this kind place should be a person like native who does not disturb landscape by de-foresting & planting lush green lawns, who is ready to drink water from streams & not the one carrying a load of mineral water plastic bottles to be spilled around the jungle floor, who must be interested to leave back his 4wheel drive at home & reach there by best possible public transport to minimize pollution.

I am not against development but I have seen many places being changed beyond repair due to this very nature of nature lovers & could not stop myself from commenting, nothing personal about your proposed venture. I wish all the best to your proposed venture but just give a thought to all above mentioned suggestions also or we may end up with another Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala, Matheran, with all the bungalows & no forest.
Great post Karizman! Agree 100 %
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

angraj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by angraj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi HVJ1,

Please let me know if i can help you in this project. During my college days we have been there for most of the times. Basically,i am from Kolhapur ( Right now Staying in Mumbai ) i know few people from Shahuwadi taluka who can help us for this project.

Thanks,

Samir

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:43 pm

angraj wrote:Hi HVJ1,

Please let me know if i can help you in this project. During my college days we have been there for most of the times. Basically,i am from Kolhapur ( Right now Staying in Mumbai ) i know few people from Shahuwadi taluka who can help us for this project.

Thanks,

Samir
Hello Angraj,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I am vey happy to know that you are from Kolhapur and have good contacts in Shahuwadi Taluka. Your contacts will prove invaluable to us in the long run. You are welcome to join the NGO on your own terms. In fact I am replying to you from Satara (my hometown), just come back from the forest (Kaas).
Regards

ashraf
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ashraf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm

dear hvj1,
hats off to you for the wonderful work there !!!
count me in with you sir, though my place of business is in the far Andaman islands, i come home to Bangalore
every two months, will visit you when i come over this time.
do not speak unless you can improve the silence......

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks Ashraf
Happy to have you on board, though I must confess, that I have only just started out. I know next to nothing about conservation, when compared to the experts on this site, but I am learning every day. I hear that the Andamans is a very beautiful place too, I believe that the authorities there are going to hold a exhibition or live show on Veer Savarkar.
Looking to hear from you and your visit to these parts.
Best Regards

angraj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by angraj » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi HVJ1,

Can you please PM me your contact details.

Thanks,

Samir

garyleo85
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by garyleo85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi..

I have been to Chandoli National Park. Its a beautiful park not well known to tourist. The entry of the park is from Varnavati village where the Warna dam has been build. I am also a hardcore nature lover and i think Chandoli National Park must be develop as how Bhandhavgarh and Kanha has been develop. Its will be a great new if it gets develop so that tourist from Mumbai and Pune can visit such place. Only the moto behind this should be to save the tigers and not to convert the forest in barren land.

Regards.
Gaurav.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:37 am

hvj1

good luck great endeavor hopefully local population could some how get involved and benefit from it and keep the poachers at bay.

Cheers

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 am

well done, a noble concept form a noble man and for all lover of wildlife. perhaps getting local rich schools kids involved. i e they become members (like a club) with a minimum fee and they can come and visit anytime etc may get younger people support and will help them in understanding of nature first hand.

all the best in the noble endeavor.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Dear Ngrewal and Nagarifle,
Thanks for the support and yes you are right in getting the support of the local population as well as the local rich kids, trying to broaden the horizon by getting the rich kids and other wildlife lovers from Pune & Kolhapur, both almost equidistant from Satara.
Almost every weekend I am spending there in Satara, talking to locals, etc. One thing that is of immense interest to all of you wild life lovers out there is as follows;
1. In Maharashtra, the Forest Dept. is extremely strict and from what I am hearing on the ground is that they are surprisingly very diligent. There is a very strict rule, that you can visit the wildlife area, but you cannot stay the night (to prevent forest fires). Last week, 5 idiots thought they could hoodwink the Dept. decided to stay overnight, now if anyone wishes to do so, they have to crossover into the forest using launches. The launch operators immediately informed the Local Range Officer and a posse of Dept. officials descended on the group and kicked them out of the forest. I was very heartened to hear about this (was in the local papers too).
2. The density of Leopard population is so high, that 5/10 times you drive into the forest trail and you will spot the leopard.
3. Previously, I was told that there is only one tiger left, in this visit, I learnt that in the vicinity of an old fort (Vasota) there are no less than 8-9 tigers. Nevertheless, I will believe them when I see them, and that is easier said than done.
Finally, my group will shortly be investing in a Bolero and I will be investing in a safari camera (bloody expensive), this will take at least one month. Then I plan to go on Night Safari and go shooting leopards ............... (with a camera) :D . Anybody interested?

angraj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by angraj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Dear Sir,

Please count me in.

Thanks,

Samir

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:04 pm

count me out for the time being :lol: you lucky :D man
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ravi.sharma
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by ravi.sharma » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi HVJ,

My Bags and Shooting equipment is ready................ (My safari Camera :lol: ). Let me know when are we leaving.

:cheers:
Ravi.
Believing Everybody is Dangerous; Believing Nobody is Very Dangerous..........

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Right Ho guys, will keep all of you informed.
Regards