Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:40 am

Background:
A tiger reserve project, the fourth in the state, will be developed at Chandoli National Park, about 200 km south of Pune. A notification for the project was issued on 8th January 2010. The state government issued the notification after the Centre approved the project in principle.
The proposed tiger reserve project will be spread over an area of 714.22 square km including 317.67 square km of Chandoli National Park and 423.55 square km of Koyna Wildlife Reserve.
The Chandoli National Park is located at the junction of Sangli District, Kolhapur District, Satara District and Ratnagiri District. It lies between the Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary and Radhanagri Wildlife Sanctuary and is part of the Sahyadri Tiger Reserve. Location: Chandoli Dam, Sangli, Maharashtra, India

The Koyna Wild life Reserve is located in Satara District in Western Maharashtra covering an area of 423.55-sq-km. Koyana wildlife sanctuary includes Eastern and Western catchments of Koyana dam. This dam is a major hydroelectric project centre in the Western Maharashtra.

Flora:
The santuary also hosts threatened and rare tree species such as Garambi and Ran-Jaiphal. Some other species, which are not found anywhere and highly threatened, are Dhup, Eupohoria Longan, and Elecoarpus Tectorium. Tree giants like Harpullia Arborea & Turpunita Malbarica, which are endemic to Western Ghats are also found in the protected area.
Fauna:
Animals found in this sanctuary are Tigers, Panthers, Gaurs, Sloth Bears, Sambars, Barking Deer, Mouse Deer, Dholes, Giant Squirrels, Otters, Common Langoors, Pythons, and Cobras. Among the birds are Heart Spotted, Rufous and Brown Capped Woodpeckers, Goshawk, Long Tailed Nightjar and Fairy Bluebird. These are found very rarely in other parts of Western Ghats. It also shelters a unique species Bufo Koyanansis, which is habitat in this protected area.
New Mahabaleshwar Project:
In early 2000, MTDC informed that it was planning to invest around Rs 1,000 crore for the development of the new project, which is spread across 6000 hectares of land. The new project will extend its current base (Mahabaleshwar) to Koyna Dam.
According General Manager, MTDC, “Existing Mahabaleshwar is no more a summer destination, but is becoming a round the year destination. It is most popular among the travelers in Maharashtra and is one of the preferred hill stations for short haul markets like Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Nashik, etc.
The reason behind the development of new site is due to over saturation of the current site. During the peak season (March – June), the demand for hotel rooms are much higher than supply. The new site will open new destinations for frequent travelers and will open new avenues for suppliers. It is a huge project and will take a minimum of five to eight years to be completed”.

Objectives:
Primary:

1.To set up an NGO dedicated to ‘Conservation’ of the Tiger and the other fauna together with the flora mentioned above.
Secondary:
2.To develop ‘Wild Life Tourism’ within the above mentioned area. The proceeds of which would finance the Tiger Conservation activities.
Legal Entities:
1.The ‘Conservation’ activities will be under a NGO, floated specifically for achieving its objectives.
2.Whereas, a private business entity, would cover the ‘Wild Life Tourism’ activities.
Both entities will have a symbiotic relation.
Infrastructure: (land)
In order to achieve above mentioned dual objectives, 6.25 acres of land in an incredibly scenic location was negotiated on the 24th of January 2010. This site has the main road connecting Satara to New Mahabaleshwar, passing through it.
Due to its scenic beauty and strategic location (30 kms from Satara and 18 kms from Old Mahabaleshwar), by road it also connects Bamnoli village, which is on the fringe of the Tiger Reserve.
Therefore the above mentioned site would be extremely suitable for HQ of the NGO as well as Wild Life Lodges for tourism.
Another 22 acres was scouted and the negotiations will be held on the 7th of this month. This site is located near Bamnoli village and is a waterfront property having its own scenic appeal.
Background of the Promoter:1.An animal lover to the core, preferring the wild life and jungle to the concrete and mankind. The forest and specifically the Tiger will always be very close to my heart.
2.This is my opportunity to do my humble bit, while confessing that I need to learn a lot from wild life professionals.
3.Qualifications and experience namely- Market Research, Project Management, Finance, Sports, Author, Real Estate businessman.

What I am looking for:

1.I am looking towards individuals who share my enthusiasm and passion for wild life conservation.
2.Wild Life Professionals, who will come forward to be part of the project on their own terms.
3. All IFG members enthusiastic and wish to be part of the project are welcome.

IFG Members who have extended their valuable support:
1.Shooter
2.M24
3.NK007

For Advertising mail webmaster
karizman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Koyna-Chandoli Tiger Reserve- Starting an NGO.

Post by karizman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Dear hvj,

That is a great place to be. My native place is nearby & I have been there many a times. I have even stayed many times inside that great jungle for 7-8 days at a stretch. It is one of the much less traveled place & does give us total isolation from this concrete jungle.

It is also great to know that it will soon become Tiger reserve. I hope it remains reserved forest & does not become picnik spot with new year parties & hotels & resorts spread across periphery just like Yeoor hills & Borivali National park.

I have read about Jim Corbett, Dr. Jane Goodall & Dr. Salim Ali & many more wild life conservators from around the world. They never tried to acquire any land to develop any kind of resorts in or around forest. As per their observations, humans should maintain healthy distance from nature to allow maximum proliferation & wellbeing of natural flora & fauna.

I have great respect for above mentioned people & I hope all the nature lovers behave like them to let remain our jungles as natural as they are for so long. Just care for them, stop poachers, avoid use of synthetic products, practice organic farming, try to maintain healthy distance between human settlements & forest & nature will take care of it self.

We being nature lover we get suffocated in urban surroundings & run to forests, villages to find some peace, solace in such places but don't like to stay in a hut or without air conditioned rooms with finest urban goodies. This infrastructure making & maintaining process spoils the whole life cycle being maintained in these serene places by nature for centuries.

The very purpose of being in this kind place should be a person like native who does not disturb landscape by de-foresting & planting lush green lawns, who is ready to drink water from streams & not the one carrying a load of mineral water plastic bottles to be spilled around the jungle floor, who must be interested to leave back his 4wheel drive at home & reach there by best possible public transport to minimize pollution.

I am not against development but I have seen many places being changed beyond repair due to this very nature of nature lovers & could not stop myself from commenting, nothing personal about your proposed venture. I wish all the best to your proposed venture but just give a thought to all above mentioned suggestions also or we may end up with another Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala, Matheran, with all the bungalows & no forest.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 pm

hvj1,
Kudos to you for undertaking this project.
I wish you the very best in your endeavor.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm

XL_Target
Thanks but do get involved, even if it is from a distance. Any contribution by way of experience, contacts and information would be welcome.
Karizman,
Perfectly in tune with your thinking, hence the sites mentioned are not within the reserve but on the periphery. Do get involved your experience and enthusiasm will be highly appreciated.
Regards

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:05 am

HVJ1 please please remember regular patrolling watching is needed to prevent villagers from lopping wood for fuel. any conservation effort today cant be without the education of the locals and studying the ramifications of the human-animal conflict.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 am

Shooter
Yes this is the biggest problem. I spoke to one of the District Forest Officers about it, do you know, what he had to say about this? Cut all the trees, then we will have no problem of villagers felling trees! I said to myself, then why have you b@@tards in the first place? That is why I am a very strong advocate of the concept - Army take charge of these forests. Believe me the attitude of the Forest Dept. is the pits!
Furthermore only the presence of the army, with its manpower can manage to patrol the forests, no mai ka lal villager dares take pangas withe army. Believe me they are only afraid of the danda, nothing else works.
Regards

dilip
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dilip » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am

wow gr8 ,
chandoli has many wildlife spieces as it is very close means about 16 to 18 kms from my village in Ratnagiri district .and this project i think will go amazing for flora fauna .
good job

Sid
Powale Arms Repaires and Dealer Mumbai

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey Sid
Great to know, you stay close to chandoli, please do join in we need all the help we can.
Regards

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 pm

HydNawab has just thrown his weight behind the project, I welcome him.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:32 pm

Congratulations and all the best for the new venture.

ravi.sharma
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by ravi.sharma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi HVJ,

Thats a great Idea. Their are a lot of people, who love the idea of camping in wild and enjoy the nature, leaving their cell phones and busy hectic life behind.

Would like to join in for any help.

:cheers:
Ravi.
Believing Everybody is Dangerous; Believing Nobody is Very Dangerous..........

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Ravi,
Thanks and looking forward to your valubale support.
Regards

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

HVJ1,

I sincerely thank you for your efforts and wish you all the best in your endeavours. I hope you help make a tangible positive impact and it makes you a happy man.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi hvj1,i saw your post today,Boss am in, though a little far from you but anything i can do gimme a buzz.Love the jungles man,i am winding up a part of my business to shift to the interiors of Himachal so anything i can do just mail me.Grat idea you have got :D :cheers:

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Amit357
Wnding up part of your business to move to Himachal! What a brave decision and a courageous one. Very few people have the courage to take such decisions in life, very few people really know what makes them happy and are willing to take such decisions. You are most welcome, what I need here is any form of support barring financial. We have set up a google group on which I will be inviting all members interested in OUR project. This group should be able to put you in the loop, regarding our progress.
Once again , great decision and welcome on board.
Regards

-- Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm --

Thanks Prashant & Vikram
You are invited to be part of the group, just be in touch with the project and contribute with your advice.
Regards