Maneating leopards in Jammu

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
huntergill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Maneating leopards in Jammu

Post by huntergill » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:10 am

Hi all,
I read in todays tribune that at present two maneating leopards are operating in Poonch and Rajouri districts of j & K.Army is being send after them.My thoughts on this one is why army? Why not qualified sportsmen.Indian beauracracy has funny way of doing things anyway.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Maneating leopards in Jammu

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:28 am

Here's the full story: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20061119/j&k.htm#1

If you do a search with the word "Leopard" on tribune site, all you will find is stories of leopard attacks, straying etc. One of my uncles works for ACC near kullu and according to him leopards use to be regular visitors at their housing complex few years ago.

"The wildlife department had earlier authorised the police to shoot the man-eater leopards, but now with an increase in the attacks on human beings, the Army has been asked to kill the two leopards."

So what next If army fails they going to call fighters and choppers :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:12 am

My thoughts on this one is why army? Why not qualified sportsmen?
Perhaps because it happens to be J&K and they don't want to end up with a hostage situation.

In my part of Karnataka, when all else fails, they turn to a certain Bangalore gent who is well in with the Forest Department and a certain political biggie to get the job done.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6146 wrote: Perhaps because it happens to be J&K and they don't want to end up with a hostage situation.Mack The Knife
+1
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 am

huntergill";p="6131 wrote:Hi all,
My thoughts on this one is why army? Why not qualified sportsmen.Indian beauracracy has funny way of doing things anyway.
Chiefly because the present quality of sportsmen does not qualify them to track down and eliminate a man eating leopard in an alien terrain; provided somebody agrees to venture out there in the first place. Nothing abnormal considering how this sports is looked down ...leading to rust in skills.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:14 am

Sujay";p="6194 wrote:Chiefly because the present quality of sportsmen does not qualify them to track down and eliminate a man eating leopard in an alien terrain.
Ummm....true to a large extent but there are still a few good 'uns left. Some closer to you than you might imagine. ;)

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Tracking is usually left to a local shikari and many of them are still quite capable. However, in a case like this the leopard will more often than not be shot over bait. The main problem is time.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6195 wrote:true to a large extent but there are still a few good 'uns left. Some closer to you than you might imagine. ;)

Mack The Knife
Naughty Mack The Knife has got a PM !!
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:45 pm

LOL :mrgreen: