A truly noble fish...

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

A truly noble fish...

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:07 am

...is the mahseer.

It has been a little over a year since I started fishing but it was only on the 14th and 15th, on my second attempt, that I actually caught a mahseer - four of them as a matter of fact. Well, the fourth is debateable but we will come to that later.

I don't recall being on a jolly during a weekday but speaking to my friends who were at camp and hearing the crickets over the phone had me yearning for the water - very badly. So arrangements were made and I was off on 14th afternoon. The highway was clear and the old 800 was pushed to its highest ever of 130 kmph. :twisted: Could have gone faster but visions of an engine bursting into flames had me slow down a bit.

Anyway, I reach 45 minutes before schedule, which gave me adequate time to tackle up for the evening session.

Despite prayers to the angling gods there was no action to speak off. Probably due to the overcast sky.

After a couple of hours or so of this fruitless sitting around, Prathap and I decided to try our luck at Forbes Sagar to which we duly drove and got into the coracle as night fell over the water.

Finally the gods smiled on me. I felt a few bites and was ready to strike when Prathap asked me to raise the rod. Bit of an odd request thought I but I have enough respect for his experience to follow it. The rod was duly lifted and then it happened - the line went taut, the reel sang and the rod bowed down to its worthy adversary. At long last I had a mahseer on the other end of the line and the feeling was pure joy.

The fish was estimated at 1.5 kgs but even then I was not prepared for the power that a small runt like this could put out.

After some time we moved over to the opposite bank and cast out from there and once again I was rewarded with a mahseer estimated at just under a kilo.

We kept at it until 10:30 p.m. but the action had tapered off. So we clambered upto the bank for our packed dinner of chicken curry, daal and chapatis and probably a few creepy crawlies that got scooped up in the dark.

Back to the coracle and as Prathap had predicted the action started on the dot of 1 a.m. and he caught a small mahseer.

We were now getting a few bites but nothing came of that.

The next day we were at Forbes again by 9:45 a.m. and within 30ish minutes I was on my third mahseer of the trip.

However, the sky was still overcast and the fish weren't in an obliging mood. We decided on some murral action and Prathap must have caught something like ten or a dozen of the blighters, whilst I got my regulation one murral. All were released. We also saw some large schools of Tilapia.

It was back to the cottage for a very late lunch and just in time for the 4 p.m. ground baiting session. Contrary to past experiences nothing seemed to be biting - again, probably due to the overcast conditions.

I reeled in so that I could have my tea and dream rather than concentrate on rod tip and line but then realised I had a Baitrunner reel and that I should try this feature. The bait was chucked in, the rod rested and I was sitting back enjoying my cuppa when the rod was violently pulled to the left and the reel screamed. The bank sticks almost gave way because they could not be driven in too deep. I snatched the rod and struck. BIG MISTAKE! I had forgotten to disengage the baitrunner and ended up with a birdsnest. I untangled the nest as fast as I could in the hope that the fish was still at the business end of the line but alas it wasn't.

Anyway, I bait up and chuck it in again. 20 or 30 minutes later the very same thing happens. This time I do it right and the fish is on. I bring it to the edge of the bank and it's the biggest mahseer I have caught - Prathap estimated the weight at 2 kgs. Now whilst I was in the process of giving Prathap the camera, I decided to give the fish a little slack so that its head could stay submerged. Second BIG MISTAKE. I did not check to see if it was well hooked and was left holding a limp line. :roll:

After this there was absolutely no action for almost two hours, so I packed up, had my dinner and left for Bangalore.....at a very sedate pace.

The tackle used: SureCatch 8' 2-piece heavy rod, Shimano 6500 A Baitrunner, 25 lb. mono and alternated between size 2/0 and 5/0 hooks.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: A truly noble fish...

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:50 am

thats a nice read and some awesome pics Mack The Knife, Looking good there. Really happy for you.

Keep them coming....

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:06 pm

Mack The Knife,

Absolutely stunning pics! Thanks for posting and I do think you need to do a story on angling for a magazine - let me know if you want me to pull a few strings to push this through. I have recently made some contacts in the US who may help. :wink:

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 pm

Inder: Have you been fishing yet? If I recall correctly, Amit angles, so get on with it! It's probably the wrong time of year there, though.

Mehul: LOL. I am just a newbie but if it brings in some pocket money why not. No need to pull strings though.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:19 pm

bana baba,
I have a feeling u r gonna get me hooked onto fishing with all these wonderful pictures that u keep posting

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:56 pm

I have a feeling u r gonna get me hooked onto fishing with all these wonderful pictures that u keep posting

Me too. Just need to learn how to swim.If a 1.5 kg fish can cause trouble for Mack The Knife I am very sure I will be pulled into the river .I weigh a measly 91kg and am 6ft (low weight and high centre of gravity). Have no plans of becoming fish food.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Mera Motu Monty :mrgreen:

My only regret is that I did not take it up when I was living at Landsend and surrounded by sea on three sides. Try it, you will love it.

Ab yeh buta, is bar air-pistol me pass whoa yah nahi?

Post a report in the ISSF section - it needs a shot in the arm.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:08 pm

penpusher,

You don't have to be Mark Spitz (showing my age now) to feel safe taking up fishing. You can learn the basics in a day and like cycling it's something you never forget.

The fish did not cause that much trouble! :mrgreen: However, it's far stronger than the far larger murral I am used to catching.

The big one's will be a revelation for sure and I hope I have many of them. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:29 pm

They might not be big fish by Mahseer standards but my, aren`t they beautiful !
Lovely story Dodger - I really enjoyed reading about your expedition.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:30 pm

The pictures are getting better by the day ( and so is your smile ) :wink:

It may interest you that the Uttaranchal Govt permits fishing in the Ramganga river ( yes, Corbett's favourite !) which according to a report in India Today contains some really " sporty" masheers.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6099 wrote:Inder: Have you been fishing yet? If I recall correctly, Amit angles, so get on with it. Though it's probably the wrong time of year there.Mack The Knife
No Mack The Knife, I brought all my tackle from INDIA but weather is playing spoil sport... :( May be next time...
Sujay";p="6111 wrote: The pictures are getting better by the day ( and so is your smile ) :wink:
Yep Man he is grinning like a kid... :D.. must be an awesome feeling..

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks, Grumpy. It was probably your good wishes that latched me on to four of the little fellas. Kindly send me your mug shot so that I may burn incence and perform prayers before the next outing - 9th and 10th December. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:07 pm

Good grief Dodger. Showing the fish my ugly mug will have them screaming downstream and you won`t even catch one of Asifs socks !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 pm

The pictures are getting better by the day ( and so is your smile )
I'd much rather Prathap had left my ugly mug out and told me I wasn't presenting the fish to the camera too well. It is difficult to do this in pitch dark though.

What's more, he could atleast have said "CHEESE", so that I could put on my best plastic smile. ;) :mrgreen:

I did read about the fishing on the Ramganga on Indian Angler but as I recall it isn't as good as India Today is making it out to be or perhaps I am mistaken.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:12 pm

No Mack The Knife, I brought all my tackle from INDIA but weather is playing spoil sport... May be next time...
Don't give up at the drop of a hat. Surely there is some sort of fishing to be had. How about ice fishing or are you too much of a city slick to go out into the cold?

Do something for God's sake!

Mack The Knife