A truly noble fish...

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: A truly noble fish...

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Good grief Dodger. Showing the fish my ugly mug will have them screaming downstream and you won`t even catch one of Asifs socks!
That's not what I meant but it does raise possibilities...what if I showed your pic to the mahseer after they were hooked? That would make dashed good sport, what? :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:26 am

That is a great write-up,Mack The Knife, and fantastic pictures.
loved them. I would surely try to come over when I am home.Thanks for sharing.

penpusher's post makes me think that a good many of our IFG fraternity are on the healthier side,I am probably the healthiest :wink: ,. :lol: .

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:20 am

There is no question of trying. You jolly well will come - along with all the fishing tackle I am going to saddle you with. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I am going to be up north from 22nd December to 2nd Jan. Hope you don't land up then.

penpusher may be healthy but I am positively obese (5'9" and 100 kilos) and I better do something about it before the back goes from bad to worse.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:14 am

Psst, shut up Dodger - I`m heavier than you !

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:20 pm

In my case,it's because of a heavy bone structure :lol:

penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 pm

I put mine down to heavy fat ! :wink: :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Grumpy";p="6151 wrote:Psst, shut up Dodger - I`m heavier than you !
I'll zip up but your knee might not.... ;)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:14 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="6147 wrote:Incidentally, I am going to be up north from 22nd December to 2nd Jan. Hope you don't land up then.
If you're going to be in Delhi, look me up - Asif has my number.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:48 am

So Mack The Knife what do you need to take on this 'Arnie' of the fish world. Know as much about fishing as I do about swimming.What is required to get started.I hope fishing rods are not as scarce as 416 Rigby's.Have still not found one.

penpusher

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:03 am

Mack The Knife

Congrats and a great write up.

penpusher

Mack The Knife, Asif , others can guide on fishing accessories. But there is a gentleman from Panchkula, who posts on indianangler forum. Go for it would recommend catch and release policy due to clean rivers and canals of Punjab

All the best

Rgds

Navdeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:39 am

If you're going to be in Delhi, look me up - Asif has my number.
Thanks Abhijeet, I was meaning to look you up in anycase.

22nd to 27th Dec.: With Sat in Rajasthan.

27th Dec. to 2nd Jan.: With the dragon-in-law in NOIDA.

Rather than just meeting up at a bar, is there any chance we (Asif, you, me, etc.) could go outdoors instead? 30th is a Saturday. Guess you chaps need to be at home on the 31st - evening at least.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:11 am

So Mack The Knife what do you need to take on this 'Arnie' of the fish world. Know as much about fishing as I do about swimming.What is required to get started.I hope fishing rods are not as scarce as 416 Rigby's.Have still not found one.
penpusher,

We all need to start somewhere and sometime. If you have a friend who angles, request him to mentor you as it beats bookish knowledge handsdown, though I will be sending you a book for beginners. PM me your postal address.

If you can find out what sort of fish are found in your area, I may be able to suggest the appropriate tackle. In the south the tackle is heavier as the mahseer tend to be appreciably bigger. I will have another look on Indian Angler to see what the north Indians recommend and then post the link/s here. I have a rough idea but better to play it safe.

Good tackle is hard to find in India and most of us import. I have done it in the past and there hasn't been any problem. The duty is 17.5%

Initially it may seem like a drudge, which is why I would recommend you go ut with someone who can teach you.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:14 am

But there is a gentleman from Panchkula, who posts on indianangler forum.
Navdeep,

Who is that and does he live close to penpusher? If so, I could request him to teach penpusher.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:16 pm

Now I am no longer scared. I am an inch taller and about two kilos paunchier anyway to avoid taking chances with you...Asif has vanished from the radar and is making noises about a lot of work...no sleep. Just not dedicated I say ;-), I just hope that he won't accidentally hook my thumb while casting and insist on doing a surgery without knock out drops.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="6147 wrote: There is no question of trying. You jolly well will come - along with all the fishing tackle I am going to saddle you with. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I am going to be up north from 22nd December to 2nd Jan. Hope you don't land up then.

penpusher may be healthy but I am positively obese (5'9" and 100 kilos) and I better do something about it before the back goes from bad to worse.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:27 pm

Mack The Knife,

I will be out of town from the 30th of Dec to the 2nd of Jan. Rest of December I am very much in town and we could plan something.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein