A peek into the English countryside

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

A peek into the English countryside

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:44 am

An opportunity to break the groundhog dayish existence, of working and working on finding work, through my friend Manas, popularly known as Meanass and rightly pronounced as “Man Ass” by our English friends, getting an interview for the position of a quality control Engineer in an aerospace components making firm tucked in the olde-worlde dales of a small town called South Molton in Devon county. Luke was to drive the Renault Laguna while Vishal, another friend, and I were to pester and generally distract Manas from the interview tension. Luka took us to South Molton, covering 200+ miles in no time.

The small town itself was quite save for the bustle in the once in a week Thursday market. Many see to know each other and selling mouth watering goodies. Most cars had dogs in the rear. For such a smallish town, there were many eateries all offering traditional delicacies. The place we stepped in served us delectably toothsome pippin hot food in great heaps, beans, sausages, eggs, bacon, hash browns, buttered peas, toast and tea, all for the grand sum of £ 3.00. The young girl who brought us the food never allowed the bright sunshine of her smile to fade for a second.

I stepped into the sporting goods shop and chatted up with the very friendly lady who runs it. She tells me that there was lots of fishing and shooting available. I enquired of the deer signs that frequently marked the roadside and she tells me that there were plenty on the moor. She only sells shotgun shells and not guns. Lots of fishing rods, clothing, air rifles, though. Then she tells me that her husband is an Indian and he was away on business who otherwise would have loved to talk to me in Hindustani. We dropped Meanass at the interview venue and left to look see around the place.

Serene and green with woodlands dotting the picture,it’s a beautiful country, rolling hills and winding roads, green pastures and quietly flowing streams, cows and sheep grazing unhurriedly and unmindful of anything else etc. On a hilltop we see this gentleman immersed in a book with his canine companion keeping a vigil on the road. The moment he opened the door, the dog jumped out, probably waiting for an opportunity looking at his eagerness, and started searching for something right earnestly. The laughing gentleman tells us that he was searching for a stick to play with. Right opposite to him is a pasture with assorted cows loading their faces.

There were pheasants every where and I found disconcertingly numerous road killed cock- pheasants, not a single hen among the killed.

We spent some time in a nearby town called Barnstaple.

On our way back, Luka took us to see the Bristol Bridge. We could not spend much time in Bristol as Luka was to leave next day early in the morning to fly to his young son and wife.

The cherry on the icing came yesterday with the news that the firm made the colossal mistake of their history,which will not be long henceforth, with the decision to hire Meanass. The aerospace company's future will be firmly grounded soon. :lol:

Hope you enjoyed this.Thanks for stopping by to read.

Best-
Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:48 pm

Vikram,

Please re-size those pics otherwise one has to scroll down to scroll right and left for EACH line!

I know it will be a good piece but don't want to end up with a headache trying to read it. ;)

Thanks and all the very best with the job hunt.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Mack The Knife, this time I did resize all the pics and on my screen they look neatly lined with the text readable as in the normal posts. Thanks.

Best-
Vikram

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Mack The Knife, you are probably viewing it on a lower resolution monitor like 800x600 which is causing the scroll bar issue.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: A peek into the English countryside

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm

I am not sure how one checks the screen resolution but it's a 17" screen and I would have thought this to be sufficiently large.

Anyway, I like Vikram's photo essays so copy-pasted the text into Word and read it. Some cracking pics there.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Well if you are using Windoze... err I mean Windows :mrgreen: Then minimise all open applications and right click on your desktop, select properties and click on it. A Window will open, on its top right hand side their will be a tab labelled "Settings", click on this tab.

Now on the lower left hand side you will see a slider with the heading "Screen resolution". Move the slider to the right for a higher resolution and to the left for lower. The current resolution set on your system will be displayed just below the slider. Once done, click on the "Apply" button on the bottom right hand side.

That should do it...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:51 pm

mundaire";p="6050 wrote:Well if you are using Windoze... err I mean Windows :mrgreen: Then minimise all open applications and right click on your desktop, select properties and click on it. A Window will open, on its top right hand side their will be a tab labelled "Settings", click on this tab.
No 'Settings' to be seen.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:09 pm

My settings are 1024*768 still scrollbar is coming. I think some pics are large like the one with water body. Anyway really nice pics. Which camera you used Vikram?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:21 pm

My screen is on maximum resolution and I have the same problem as Mack The Knife.
So, Vikram, there you are pleading that you are working all hours when in fact you are swanning off to glorious Devon !
You could have popped in for a cup of tea on your way back to Bristol - would have required a diversion off the M5 though. Did you notice the giant wicker man in a field near Bridgwater ? Ugly so-and-so. We`re about 20 miles East of him ..... as the Crow flies.
The bridge is Brunells` Clifton Suspension Bridge - there is a `Bristol Bridge` but it`s in the city centre......and isn`t at all interesting.
That river is the River Mole by the way........not the one under the Suspension Bridge which is the Avon but the little one down in South Molton.
Pheasants are stupid. The hens tend to charge for the banks when you drive up to them but the cock birds often prefer to run straight up the road in front of the car - and then suddenly veer sideways.....often under the front wheels of the car !

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 am

Vikram,

Lovely pics. But, why, like always, are you never in any of them? :o

Sorry I couldn't chat with you longer today. It has been a crazy day and I even forgot that I was to meet Amit and Inder for a few rounds of trap in the evening. :cry: That should tell you how utterly crazy it was!

BTW if your US trip could be confirmed so that you're here before Dec 14th then you could join for the IFG USA pheasant shoot. Otherwise we'll just find something whenever you come here.

Cheers!

Mehul

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 am

I have the resolution the same as Inder's and can view without scrollbar.

But I also face the same problem everytime with Internetgun Club site. Till date could not figure out why ??
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

paky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Say goodbye to Windoze....

Post by paky » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:04 am

the picture & this thread appears perfect even in my older ibook 12" (1024 x 768 pixel resolution).

Say goodbye to Windoze.... :lol:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks for the good words everyone.Gee, I couldn't imagine the pics would cause such a problem.My laptop's screen resolution is set at max.I see the pics neatly lined up and the text easily readable.

Inder the camera is Panasonic Lumix FZ-20.It's capable of taking fantastic pictures without my bungling hands.

It's alright,Mehul.Some other time. The pictures are better vied without me blotting the land scape.Next time....

Frankly,Grumpy, I didn't know you lived so close or I would have paid you a visit. That was ten days ago.Thanks for the invite and the edification on the local geography. How lucky are you to live in such a beautiful place!

Best-
Vikram