One more shot for the already dead sport called Hunting :(

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

One more shot for the already dead sport called Hunting :(

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:45 pm

Here we go once more..

I think this article is a bit OTT but If everything written in this article is true then these ******* should be hanged. Why the hell somebody want to hunt Leopard's cubs (where the hell is the pic of dead cubs BTW).

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20061108/main7.htm

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:16 am

This is one of the few reported instances of the rampant poaching/hunting that goes on in the jungles of India. Mostly with the connivance of forest staff ,police & netas, this thing going on. This, along with systemised destruction of flora, would be the leading causes that would cost us whatever precious resources we have left.
Hope the media becomes more proactive with issues concerning wildlife because we have seen that the fourth estate is a potent weapon in fighting many ills that face us.
I sincerely hope that that the three brothers are punished for their deeds, but knowning how the law works here in Northern India, that's just asking for too much.
Thanks.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 am

One thing we should do is, to report should we know anyone indulging in poaching.As for the louts in question, hope all of them get what they deserve.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Re: One more shot for the already dead sport called Hunting

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 am

I knew Gurnihal Singh Pirzada when he was collector of Kodaikanal as we owned one of the largest properties there from the early 1980s to the mid 1990s. He is a colourful character who has gotten away without as much as a slap on the wrist on more than one occasion. One of his brothers was wanted by the Punjab police during the problem in that state and Gurnihal actually hid him in his IAS officer's quarters until the Indian Express (then under Arun Shourie) raised cain after learning about this. Gurnihal asked his brother to surrender and he was subsequently transferred from Kodaikanal but nothing happened to him. He must have had connections in Delhi because getting away with hiding a suspected terrorist could easily have cost him his job, even if the suspect happened to be his own brother.

And, now we hear this. I do not want to jump and make any judgements - as Inder rightly asks, where are the pictures of the shot animals? But the fact is that within the deeply flawed Indian system, there still are people who can get away possibly with the murder of human beings. There will always be bullshit posted by cretins who have no idea of hunting and conservation programmes, by those who are so utterly ignorant of the destruction of habitat which is the primary cause of the loss of wildlife in India that they jump up and down hysterically along with the menopausal old bags who are featured on the CNN-IBN video. But, knowing Gurnihal personally and his brother by reputation, I would not be surprised if this were true.

Yes, if they were poaching, they deserve to have the book thrown at them.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Mehul

I am not condoning Pirzada actions but there is more to what meets the eye here. Perpetrators of such acts are normally very well connected and journos also want some cut for reporting such a story and then witness has to face repercussions. Seems like This family had a fallout with powerful people in Punjab,. Its not cheap to indulge in hunting sport, only well off or those who have access can flaunt rules.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040227/main9.htm http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040307/edit.htm#2

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 pm

Navdeep,

It is a known fact that Amarinder Singh is a bully - his own partymen have complained against him to the Congress high command several times - but the Pirzadas are no saints. It just happens that we have one powerful bully in office who is out to settle scores for some reason or the other with someone else who is also of dubious background.

If only the Akalis had not made such a mess of their own campaign, all of this would not have happened.

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:02 am

Mehul

Akali and Congress head honchos and families are in bed together and even related through marriages. Its a very incestuous relationship..Its not worth the bandwidth here

Leaving the politics aside my point is Punjab, HP and Haryana DFO know which areas are prone to poaching put up Nakas or check points arrest one and all, keep the process going.
This news was neither here nor there and no legal action could be taken against any one. Why couldnt Tribune stalk or stakeout these guys if they have their schedule? There is one set of law for so called "privileged' and other for general public. We have discussed and buried this issue one too many times. Fourth estate the media is equally responsible for all this, very few cub reporters who have guts to take these issues up or editors who can stand up to pressure. You know that best

BTW there is a Bajwa honorary warden In Gurdaspur and he has even caught and reported SDM poaching and the said officer is facing charges. Guess what these guys have still not been offered any permanent job?

Rgds

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:45 am

Mehul,

You seem to be well informed about Punjab politics.The 'bully' also had once got caught for poaching in Hoshiarpur district. The 'bully' seem's to have a family tradition of not eating the animals that they have shot. Almost all the members of the Punjab Wildlife Board are known poachers.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:40 am

penpusher,

This may be OT but I forget the name of the lady minister in Punjab who went to Sonia Gandhi with a list of corruption and other allegations against the bully but was forced to back down by Sonia. Not surprising at all considering which party it is!

I am not at all surprised that our neta-babus have been up to no good. It proves the old adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:53 pm

I know the reporter personally and she is tiny, feisty tornado-took me up on an air call and was on the tarmac at 3 am-did a very good story.She would have counterchechecked her facts perfectly and there's no need to doubt the veracity.
Knowing how things work, especially with the dubious backgrounds of the involved people, I guess it will be swept under the carpet.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 pm

eljefe";p="6235 wrote: I know the reporter personally and she is tiny, feisty tornado-took me up on an air call and was on the tarmac at 3 am-did a very good story.She would have counterchechecked her facts perfectly and there's no need to doubt the veracity.
Knowing how things work, especially with the dubious backgrounds of the involved people, I guess it will be swept under the carpet.
Axx
But still i think i am going to ask her for pics of hunted Leopard cubs :evil: :evil:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...