Any new News on this?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Any new News on this?

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:44 pm

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/200604 ... chal.htm#7

Anyone know what is the current status in Himachal? Are they talking about vermin hunting where village Sarpanch should be involved or are they talking about trophy hunting where anyone from outside can go and hunt after paying hunting license fee :?

Inder
PS: this news is April this year.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Any new News on this?

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 am

Ban on killing of wild boar to go
Tribune News Service

Shimla, April 29
The government will consider lifting ban on hunting of wild boar as a number of complaints of wild animals destroying crops were being received.

This was stated by Mr Virbhadra Singh, Chief Minister, while presiding over the district Shimla grievances committee here today. The Chief Minister said the number of wild animals had increased substantially as a result of ban on their hunting in the past over 10 years.

He said the government had examined all aspects and after consultation with the experts in the field the ban would be lifted on selected species of wild life. He added that initially the ban would be for one year and extended after review.

Mr Virbhadra Singh said the monkey menace was also on the increase in the state and farmers were suffering heavy losses. He said in consultation with experts the government would soon be coming up with four pilot projects under which laser sterilisation of monkeys would be carried out to check their population.

He said that feeding of monkeys on the roads had already been declared illegal and warning hoardings had been put up at different places in the state so that people were discouraged from feeding monkeys. He directed the forest authorities to plant saplings which had been the traditional feed for monkeys in forests all over the state.

Nice find, Inder.

I think they mean a free for all. If that is so, I think it's the wrong decision because prolific breeders though they are, I know of one place where they were completely wiped out.

I hope they introduce a quota system.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 am

I don't know what the Himachal govt. proposes to do,but generally in such cases the removal of the ban on the hunting of certain anomals (wild boar or Nilgai) is to enable farmers to protect their crop.Permits to shoot wild animals, on which the ban has been removed, are issued only to farmers (proof of this is provided in form of copies of the Revenue records)and after they apply in writting to the wildlife dept. for it ,on account of such animals damaging their crops.It might also entail an inspection by the wildlife dept. official to verify the claim/s of the farmer/s.Also the animal can only be shot by the farmer in his own fields.

The vast majority of farmers in Himachal with an Arms license would be armed with old muzzleloader's.This coupled with the limited experience that the vast majority would have in handling their guns makes for not a very happy scenario.Lots of injured animals.

penpusher

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:07 pm

penpusher";p="5638 wrote: I don't know what the Himachal govt. proposes to do,but generally in such cases the removal of the ban on the hunting of certain anomals (wild boar or Nilgai) is to enable farmers to protect their crop.Permits to shoot wild animals, on which the ban has been removed, are issued only to farmers (proof of this is provided in form of copies of the Revenue records)and after they apply in writting to the wildlife dept. for it ,on account of such animals damaging their crops.It might also entail an inspection by the wildlife dept. official to verify the claim/s of the farmer/s.Also the animal can only be shot by the farmer in his own fields.

penpusher
I thought that type of vermin hunting law was already in affect and this is something new. Don't know I may be wrong also. I've already mailed chief of forest and some other people regarding this. Let’s hope they reply. I don't know how bad is situation right now but I met somebody two years ago who nearly lost his leg because of an unprovoked attack from a Wild boar.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Got reply from forest deptt of Himachal.

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:57 pm

I got reply from forest department of Himachal:

Dear Mr Inderjeet Singh,

this has ref to your message to the Forest Secretary, Mr Ashok Thakur about the current situation concerning
hunting of wild boar. Please be informed that hunting of wild boar is allowed by seeking a permit from a divisional
forest officer if the latter is convinced that the aggrieved party indeed has a problem. However, there being a general
ban on hunting in HP, anybody just cannot go and shoot a wild boar.

Recently, the wildlife wing has taken up, with the approval of the state government, a scheme to build local capacity
led by the forest department to identify problematic populations of wild boar and then to cull them selectively so
as to mitigate / minimise the problem. A reason for this approach is that because the wild boar meat is highly
sought after and is also commands a high price, the rules require that each wild boar killed has to be destroyed
by cremeation in the presence of an authorised officer. In working out a strategy for such action, the aggrieved
villages and panchayats will be consulted and selected persons from amongst them involved in each operation.
We hope that this will become a quick response and practical way involving local concerns to address this
recurrent problem.

If you have any questions, please do ask. suggestions are welcome,

vinay tandon
Chief Wildlife Warden, HP

All i can think after reading this mail. What a waste of good meat. He has asked for suggestions and questions. I will write him a mail explaning advantages of hunting. Any suggestions guys? If you want to write to him then here is the email ID: [email protected]

Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks for posting that.

Unfortunately, he is merely following orders but do write to him all the same.

Don't worry about the meat being wasted - it almost never is. Let's just leave it at that.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Ask him where you stand if the concerned farmer asks you to cull the pigs?