Asif gets caught by a sox.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Asif gets caught by a sox.

Post by dev » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 pm

It was the morn of Diwali and not a mouse was stirring...till the Nokia phone alarm went off at six a.m. I rush to my TKD class, all right stagger bleary eyed with sips of mitation coffee as Cafe Coffee Day is still outa my regular blend.

And then I pull my right hamstring muscle for forgetting I wasn't 18 while doing some double kicks. My ever sympathetic Sensei as usual soothes me with his...bound to happen when you try to go that high...your right is pulled continue with your left. The blasted shaolin reject was at it again.;-)

Anyway I call the good Doc and make lame excuse no pun intended. But he says sure...take your time and so with Dad in tow, we head to Asif's castle. I let Dad be a surprise as I knew with his usual unflappable demeanor Asif would just chug along. Dad's favourite read had been 'old man and the sea' and so he didn't hate these wild escapades.

So we reach Hindon after reaching Asif's place at 11.00 and a lot of,"sure take your time." But Asif's grinding mandibles(chainsaw on wood sound) gave him away the last time. The good Doc now wants to use his nose for a good fishing spot. Naw he hasn't mutated into an X man but he's trying to stay away from the toxic stench.

Since we couldn't see any of the regulars we headed to the place which had green water and where the locals had always shooed us off. This is the nursery they would say...go there them catfish just leap into your arms etc. etc. So we start with our killer bait of atta. The fish jump around it, follow it, but bite naah. Dad comes up with a great reason," Its the month of Ramzan, naturally the fish won't bite." Very good Dad now get into the shade before we hook your nose.

Then Asif starts to use his tackle box and hooks two of the locals they go oooh and aaaah and the Doctor slowly hypnotises them. In his spell one hands me some earthworms...arrrgh...the feeling of the earthworm trying to burrow through your fingers like mother earth...like your first sip of green tea...you never folget. But I digress, the second guy then slips the earthworm onto to my hook, the earthworm has the same concistency as river prawn on the hook.

So I cast in a place near a sluice gate. The locals say that the cats are all hiding aligned to the wall. And so I cast away but no go...and then the line goes taunt...I reel for a while but fear that the monster in the deep may break my six pound line. So a local slowly holds the line and raises it...gawd what a large plastc bag. The sox game is on: Dev 1 Asif 0. Now I decide to shift to where the good Dr was now experimenting with different hooks and all.

On the spur of the moment he decides to teach me, from the casting tutorials he's had from Mack The Knife. So I do a few the way he shows me and then quietly shift back to my old ways. Nothing like perfecting a mistake I says. But now Dad is getting his hungry and tired look and he's ready to call it quits, its more fun reading the stuff than doing it. Asif comments ," no spectator sport this."

I cast again, its a good twenty or so yard one. I am mighty pleased and Asif nods like Yoda...soon you will fishing jedi be...but then my line feels taunt again. I immediately hit the high notes like Barry Gibbs Aseeeef...Aseeeef what should I do? So Asif replies in his pulling bullets out of a local U.P. thug manner...Reel it in Dev...reel it in. But this time i wanna play so I give it some slack...the thing on the end takes it...hmmm this be some new sox me thinks...and I reel a bit...it comes closer and it keeps coming closer...now I can see some small bubbles as my line comes closer. Oh me gawd what do I do? I quickly ask local expert for help...he gets me to guide the fish closer to the bank and then he whips the fish out by holding the line with his hand.

Yikes thats one big magur...about 12-14 inches long. So old man breaks into a smile and the good Dr. takes the shots with his phone camera. This time he had left the digi cam behind as he had all the trophy socks that he needed ;-). Asif like them Texans at Wasi proposes release but I had plans for fish with mustard sauce and all.

Realising that we didn't have the rightbait till now, Asif loads up with an earthworm and in seconds he has something at the end of his line. Its a juvernile with an appetite for trouble and so Asif lets it go with a stern lecture.

Even though news of fish now extends my parole from SWAMBO we decide to move on home. I must be shell shocked cause I turn down the good Drs offer of lunch and beer. I show fish to six year old nephew after dunking it in a bucket... he looks at it as if its some video game and returns to his cartoons. But the next morning my fish has started behaving like a pet and thoughts of mustard sauce shatter like a bullet through a coke bottle.

I take the bucket in the trusty Bolero and drive to the yamuna. Then I dump the cat back. Enligtenment dawns as I watch it swish away...to catch and release is more fun than catch and curry. ;-).

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Asif gets caught by a sox.

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 am

Enligtenment dawns as I watch it swish away...to catch and release is more fun than catch and curry.
Hehehe...

Nice read, Dev. Thanks.

Incidentally, we don't release catfish as they have grown to pest proportions.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Mack The Knife,
This was caught from a Cat 'nursery' these cats are grown here , for the market.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:33 pm

I don't know which one you caught but there is a cat species called "Singhara". It makes the best "Macchi ke pakore" closely followed by "Mulhee".

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am

eljefe";p="5571 wrote:Mack The Knife,
This was caught from a Cat 'nursery' these cats are grown here , for the market.
Fair enough. Incidentally, do they mind if anglers take a few for the pot for a nominal fee?

May be coming up this December during the Christmas hols and would like to do a day's fishing if possible.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 pm

ho Man, you made my christmas!
Will scout around and see if there are better waters we can take you to-Toxic greens is NOT for the pot-NOT for the visiting firemen!
you may be glowing green the morning after the toxic green cat pakoras!
Inder-as you see, we did not even consider them worthwhile for the table-this was just a foray to check out the available fishing areas-found this one by accident...
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Hey Guys,

You can go to Dadupur in december, its just 200KM (Just 4 hour drive) from delhi near Yamuna Nagar and a nice place to fish in. you can get more information on fishing licenses etc here http://harfish.gov.in/adventure-sport.htm.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 am

Will scout around and see if there are better waters we can take you to-Toxic greens is NOT for the pot-NOT for the visiting firemen!
you may be glowing green the morning after the toxic green cat pakoras!
And yet they permit such fish to be sold in the market? Ridiculous! Or is it that by the time the fish's digestive system has done it's job they are safe to eat?

BTW, where is the pic of Dev and his fish?

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 am

Inder,

That link isn't working.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:47 am

Here you go. just forgot to remove the .

http://harfish.gov.in/adventure-sport.htm

Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:43 am

Thanks! That looks workable.

Asif, Dev or anyone else for that matter, want to spend a weekend there?

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:41 pm

What dates?
If I survive the international emergency medicine conference I'm hosting and co-chairing here on 17-19 Nov, will give it my best shot Mack The Knife.
being the unfriendly PC type, I am yet to try the cable connect to download.Will try in a nearby digital photo shop, sat or sun and then post.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm

Cant open the site, anything else u forgot Inder? ;)
Axx

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:52 pm

I hope not :( working fine for me, something wrong at your side..

Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 pm

What dates?
Christmas vacation. Not confirmed yet but if we do decide to go up north we may fly in on the 22nd or 23rd. Spend a week in Delhi and then go to Sat's place for a few days and then return directly to Bangalore - assuming Jet does Jaipur-Bangalore flights.

Mack The Knife