A weekend at Bheemeshwari.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: A weekend at Bheemeshwari.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Asif / Abhihjeet,

Now-a-days coracles have a skin of empty cement bags (cheaper than buffalo hide) which are then given a layer of bitumen.

Very basic looking but excellent for rivers with a lot of rocks.

Rowing them is an art form and one I haven't tried more than once but it's doable, even for a novice.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Managing an outdoors weekend deserves kudos itself and Mack The Knife has been doing it consistently since.....

I envy Mack The Knife :D ; for to me all outdoor activity accessible as an adult does not even require venturing outside the city limits.

The pictures are particularly nice ; really makes one forget the city and the horrible traffic.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:11 pm

Sujay";p="3485 wrote:Managing an outdoors weekend deserves kudos itself and Mack The Knife has been doing it consistently since.....
Since you like it why don't you try it. If it feels intimidating at first, go to an outdoor resort the first few times. This way you will get a fait idea of what you need and then branch out on your own.

A safe bet would be a couple of days at a friend's farm near a water body. Don't stay at the farm house and see if you can do without using it at all. In an emergency it is always there. Alternatively, you could take guided trips into the sticks as well.

Once this gets into your bones you wont like staying at home on weekends.

This coming weekend I am taking Asif out for a bit of fishing. Now that should be fun. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm

This coming weekend I am taking Asif out for a bit of fishing. Now that should be fun.
Don't forget to post a detailed report with pictures.Have fun, M'ludd. :D

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Count on it. Asif may have a different report to make though. :wink: :mrgreen:

The bigee will be the one with Terry in Feb - 11 straight days in the sticks. Probably take a week before we loose the stink.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for the Gr888 Pics Mack The Knife,

As Sujay said, I ENVY YOU :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder :)
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:29 pm

kanwar76";p="3611 wrote:As Sujay said, I ENVY YOU :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Good! :mrgreen:

Nothing stops you doing the same.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 pm

Yep Mack The Knife,

Hope to acquire something which moves on four wheels and a membership of WASI after coming back. What happened to your plans for a new vehicle? Did you find a good one?

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:10 pm

Don't you know it's against the rules to keep overseas jaunts a secret? Wishlist coming up and as a punishment you can pay for the items as well. Hmpff!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:01 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="3628 wrote:Don't you know it's against the rules to keep overseas jaunts a secret? Wishlist coming up and as a punishment you can pay for the items as well. Hmpff!

Who said overseas I am going back home :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:33 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="3413 wrote:Know what you mean, Mehul.

Some years ago I had taken the family to Coonoor. On the way back I thought I would show the wife and kids the bungalow (Sedgemore) I used to stay in when I was a child. It was a beautiful bungalow with a lovely rose garden, putting green, etc. I made a U-turn before I reached it because I just couldn't take the change anymore. The thickly wooded slopes were now a mass of slums. They had removed all the trees and god alone knows how old those conifers must have been. We Indians have a talent for destroying our environment.

Mack The Knife
Mack The Knife,

Speaking of Coonoor, we used to know a Col E D Avari and his cousin Ms Beth Cooper. Lovely old Parsi family. The Col's son, Minu used to live in Kodaikanal. Wonder if you knew them or if you have any news about them now.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:46 am

Mehul,

I am afraid I don't know the people you mention.

As you know, I had gone to Wellington last year with a friend to pick up his Brno .22lr. Being a military station that is still spick and span but god forbid if you should look in the direction of Coonoor. Still better than Ooty though.

Mack The Knife

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:36 am

Found a home video on Google Videos of some folks hanging out at this resort. Although not much fishing in the video, you can see what the place has to offer.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 84387411&q

pwm
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pwm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 am

india have a very big potential for tourism and its a shame for your goverment that it comes not more in its rigth but dont forget: tourist will not see how modern or not india is today, the secret is to sell the dreams of india in this peoples mind.