Coyote/fox hunting

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Coyote/fox hunting

Post by axp817 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:24 am

I have been having some issues lately, with logging on to IFG from work, I get this weird message saying that I am banned, so I have to wait till I get home before I can do any posting. Abhijeet is helping me with this, and I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.

I thought that you intended to use your .223 rifle but maybe NH is shotgun only ? I don`t like the use of shotguns on Foxes as you have to call them in very close but if you have no choice in the matter...........
Over the years I suppose that I`ve shot two or three Foxes with a shotgun - I doubt if it`s any more.
Only the county I'm in is 'shotgun only'. If I were to travel 20 miles, I would be in an area that allows .223 also. I plan on using shotguns to start with, since I plan on staying in my county (its just easy since its so close) for the first couple of times that I go hunting.

The most effective call that I`ve used with Foxes is a Rabbit `Squealer` which simulates the sound of a Rabbit squealing in pain. If you are patient - and still/quiet - you can bring them in very close. I was once sat on a stump using the call when I heard a `snuffling` to my left and just behind - it was a Fox that was no more than 4-5 feet away. Didn`t even get a shot at him as he lit off as I turned.
I did see an electronic call at the store the other day, wasn't cheap though. I think they do make cheaper, non electronic calls that mimic rabbit squeals, I'll get one of those.
If you are going lamping at night - make sure that is legal where you are as I know that in many US States night hunting isn`t allowed - you`ll find that the Coyote/Fox will often `freeze` as the beam hits it. That`s the best time to shoot. Sometimes they`ll then promptly leg it but other times they`ll move off at a normal pace and will often stop to look at the beam. You need to keep tracking them as - like Mark says - they will run off at top speed if they see you. Using the call as you track the animal in the beam will usually stop it in its` tracks - Foxes are opportunist and curious.
Once I get used to the area, I will start going at night (NH allows night hunting with some restrictions), but for now, will stay with daytime hunting. The plan is to go before the sun rises, very early in the morning.

Nearly all the rifles that I`ve used for Fox shooting have been fitted with moderators - `Silencers` in other words. Very useful and really allows you to keep hunting when otherwise every Fox for a mile in all directions disappears as soon as they hear a shot. I even have a T8 moderator on my new 6.5x55 Deer rifle. Obviously they can`t suppress the supersonic `crack` of the bullet but 30dB reduction of the noise from the rifle makes a dramatic difference. Unfortunately you aren`t allowed sound moderators in the US.
Suppressors, are in fact, allowed in the U.S., you just have to file some federal paperwork and you are all set. The process isn't too difficult, I'm told, just takes some time (2 months I think).
By the way, a load of No 4 shot from a tightly choked barrel is likely to make a mess of a pelt.......be more like a furry strainer !
heh, thats alright. I don't really care for the pelt that much, at this stage. If I get any good at this, I'll start worrying about pelts.

Just curious, what do you/fox hunters do with the carcass after its skinned? With animals like foxes, which are not taken to the butcher's for meat.
Having never hunted anything before, I was thinking of tossing it in the dumpster, but wanted to make sure it was okay/common practice to do so.

thanks,
Naren

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Shite! Sorry about that Grumpy. I must have edited your post - without realising it.

Thanks for spelling it out Naren, otherwise I would still be scratching my head.

Pass me the dunce cap please. :roll:

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Don`t worry about it Mack The Knife - I thought it was really funny.......especially as you didn`t cotton on to what I was referring to. I wasn`t going to help any more than I did.........I could see you scratching your head wondering what the dickens I was talking about !

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:52 pm

I carry a collapsible spade and dig a quick hole at the side - not in - the field I`m shooting over to dispose of the carcase. If you`re hunting in woodland there`s often not enough soil to dig deeply enough so you just have to find somewhere suitable. Putting a carcase in a dumpster is likely to cause complaints especially in the summer. There`s always the risk that someone will investigate the smell and decide that someone has shot a domestic dog - much more of a problem with Coyotes than Fox. Just leaving the carcase where it was shot is not an option.
I have a couple of Fox calls. One hand operated and the other is blown. The advantage of the blown call is that it leaves your hands free - and is louder than the hand operated call.
Thanks for letting me know the situation re silencers.....I was told that quite recently but had obviously managed to immediately forget. My memory isn`t what it was........What was I saying ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:47 pm

axp817";p="2769 wrote:Suppressors, are in fact, allowed in the U.S., you just have to file some federal paperwork and you are all set. The process isn't too difficult, I'm told, just takes some time (2 months I think).
And $200.00 if I am not mistaken. Doesn't the BATF handle such requests?

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Grumpy";p="2809 wrote:I wasn`t going to help any more than I did.........I could see you scratching your head wondering what the dickens I was talking about !
You are all heart aren't you? :roll:

:wink: :mrgreen:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:03 am

Naren,

If you bowhunt or if you buy a muzzleloader, it would be a good option to try either in a shotgun hunting area. I bought a Knight muzzleloader after shooting some of Mark's guns and have been completely smitten by them. They are great fun to shoot, would not damage pelts like a shotgun and are legal in shotgun for deer areas. MLs are cheap - count on spending about $ 100 to 150 on one, can be ordered by mail, and the bullets and powder and primers are also much cheaper than shooting any centrefire rifle, almost on par with shooting a shotgun. You could scope them if you want though, as you use military rifles for your re-enactments, you might want to use them with open sights.

Part of the fun in hunting is getting something from the animal - deer can be eaten, so can birds. With coyotes, you could have a lovely skin for a small floor rug in your living room, something to show off and which would be a superb thing to put bare feet down on on a cold winter's day. Think about this - I am sure you'll be addicted to muzzleloading once you get started.

Cheers and good hunting!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:09 am

Heh, heh, heh..........Kick a man when he`s down - that`s my philosophy Mack The Knife. :wink: :twisted:

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:36 am

I carry a collapsible spade and dig a quick hole at the side - not in - the field I`m shooting over to dispose of the carcase. If you`re hunting in woodland there`s often not enough soil to dig deeply enough so you just have to find somewhere suitable. Putting a carcase in a dumpster is likely to cause complaints especially in the summer. There`s always the risk that someone will investigate the smell and decide that someone has shot a domestic dog - much more of a problem with Coyotes than Fox. Just leaving the carcase where it was shot is not an option.
I like the burying idea, our dumpster is emptied everyday by the garbage company, but I will still go with the burying option, if at all I get a coyote i.e.

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 am

MLs are cheap - count on spending about $ 100 to 150 on one, can be ordered by mail, and the bullets and powder and primers are also much cheaper than shooting any centrefire rifle, almost on par with shooting a shotgun.
I didn't know you could order them by mail, don't you have to fill out the FFL form 4473 to buy a muzzle loader?
Did learn about them in the hunters education course. They have MLs at the Walmart by my place - a 2 min. walk, will check them out some time.

You could scope them if you want though, as you use military rifles for your re-enactments, you might want to use them with open sights.
I don't do re-enactments, only my friend Doug does. But I do like modern military rifles : )

Part of the fun in hunting is getting something from the animal - deer can be eaten, so can birds.
I agree, and do plan on getting the pelt, maybe not the first few times - Mark said that it is sometimes difficult to skin (fur slips) when its warm out.

-N

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:56 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="2831 wrote: And $200.00 if I am not mistaken. Doesn't the BATF handle such requests?

Mack The Knife
You're right Mack The Knife, it is $200. I just asked Doug and he says it is $200 for each suppressor you buy.

Suppressors aren't cheap either.
http://www.gem-tech.com/HVT.html

And yes, I think some of the paperwork is filed with the BATFE.

I think it goes to the FBI, the BATFE, and the treasury, and I also think you have to sign a waiver allowing the "man" to inspect your guns whenever he wants to.

So I guess, I have to take back my previous statement that its an easy process.

But it is indeed possible.

-N

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:33 am

Naren,

The best news is that you do NOT need to fill out form 4473 for a muzzleloader. Except for the USA's piss pots like New York and New Jersey, you can walk into any store and buy them with a driver's license and walk out the store. I bought mine when Deepak and I went to Mike Schrank's Smoke N Gun in Waukegan, the minute I set my eyes on it. Walmart may not have as wide a range - but since you can order them online, check out the Bass Pro Catalogue and also do a web search. Also, you may find that small, family owned gun shops give you a much better price than Wal Mart does. For example, my Knight 50 costs $ 229 at Wal Mart. Mike Schrank gave it to me for $ 100 with a leather case and accessories, brand new. There are few things more fun than shooting muzzleloaders in my opinion. The clouds of smoke, the long, slow recoil and the relaxing process of loading one and shooting it are more fun than anything else that you can do with your clothes on.

Also, if you're going to use your shotgun, try and use slugs (if they are legal in your area) and you may still be able to save the skins though, of course, the hole would be much larger. That said, the slug would put them down with an authority that even a high velocity dedicated varmint rifle would not. I was surprised that you could use No 4s for hunting. In Illinois, shot larger than No 6 is not allowed because that, apparently, is the largest shot that has never killed a human being. If your gun has an Imp Cyl choke or a full cylinder, just use slugs and don't look back. They are expensive, but you could shoot your shotgun like a rifle at the coyotes and if you don;t want the rugs for your room yourself, you could give them to friends who would appreciate them. I am sure that that would make you even more popular than you already are.

Cheers and good hunting!

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:28 am

I am even more excited about muzzleloaders now. Will definitely check them out online and at local stores.

Yes, #4s are allowed here, a hunting instructor I know suggested #4 for our county, but will also look into slugs, when I go to the store tomorrow.

If I do manage to get the pelt, I would LOVE to have it at my place, and of course after I get more, I can give them to friends too.

I wonder what the laws on taking coyote furs to India are, will have to look into it.

Thanks again for the info.

I really appreciate all of you guys giving so much input.

-Naren

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:00 am

axp817";p="2857 wrote:Suppressors aren't cheap either.
Good Lord those guys are expensive!

A suppressor isn't really difficult to make and if this option is a possibility, then it could turn out cheaper.

Frankly, I am not sure if they would really be useful for those rifles that have an MV beyond Mach 1. It would kill the muzzle blast but how does one tame the sonic crack?

Extremely useful on .22lr rifles using standard velocity ammo.

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Good Lord those guys are expensive!
And Doug said they are probably the cheapest of companies out there. Most of their products go to the military and law enforcement agencies, the civilian market for suppressors isn't as big as other firearms products.

A suppressor isn't really difficult to make and if this option is a possibility, then it could turn out cheaper.
Don't know if this is allowed, some quick searching on the BATFE website should give an answer. But in the case of full-autos, which require similar paperwork, no self made modification is allowed, however easy/cheap it may be. But then again, even manufacturers aren't allowed to "make" full autos for sale anymore. Only stuff made prior to the Gun Control Act of 1986 (or whenever/whatever it was) can be sold.

Suppressors are out for me, for a very long time, since the money I would spend on a suppressor could get me another gun.
Like a nice Ed Brown Executive Carry (1911) or a Wilson, or a Nighthawk Custom, hehe.

-Naren