bringing hunting trophies into india

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

bringing hunting trophies into india

Post by indian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:59 am

hi :) can anybody bring legally aqquired hunting trophies into india??i have a black bear head mount and i wish to bring it.is it legal??

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 am

indian";p="40382 wrote: hi :) can anybody bring legally aqquired hunting trophies into india??i have a black bear head mount and i wish to bring it.is it legal??
Yes it is... you'll need the correct paperwork though. A CITES/ pre-CITES Certificate should do, I'm not sure of how one would go about obtaining one though (the local Wildlife dept. maybe?) - maybe others can pitch in and direct you better on this...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: bringing hunting trophies into india

Post by indian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:48 am

i tried a lot through google but couldnt the exact info.i also have some other stuff which i would like to gift to my dad but waiting for the proper channel :roll:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Heck just bury old yogi and let it go :lol:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:35 am

by law, if the species is not an indian one, it can be brought in. any item of taxidermy, if it is of indian origin cant be brought in even if legal.
the officials in india 'bend' this rule not only to include animals like blackbuck sambar etc which are now available as game abroad but also animals which are also found in other countries as well as india example african leopard etc. it is of course to make money. as black bears are also found in india, i hope they dont give you hell for it.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:02 pm

You can bring in a hunting trophy as India is a signatory of CITES as long as the country of origin too is a signatory.In all probability the matter would be referred to the Mo.E&F. and the import cleared after it's approval

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:10 am

thanks shooter and penpusher and sorry for the late response :) the MNR(ministry of natural resources)of canada is issuing cites permits for black bear.is it enough or any other additional indian paper work is required??thanks in advance :)

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:48 pm

bhai india is a member of cites. some species cant be brought in at all. some need certificate from only the country of hunt. other species need certificate from both the country of hunt and the country into which it is being brought.
these rules dont vary from country to country (as long the country is a member of cites-india is), but depend on the species.

check on the cites website or check with mnr. about the black bear and what sub sub species it is.
whitetail afaik, requires a cites only from canada.

indian bhai aap to great ho. itney achhi trophies hai aapke paas.
if ur taxidermist is selling any, plz lemme know. hum bhi ek mangwa lenge.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi All,
Just wanted to update the law on importing hunting trophy to India. I searched a lot and called up many Government departments and ministry and the result is that I have the rules and regulations now. I have started the process (it seems my request is the first in my state) and hope to get my own trophy on the wall soon :))

To import hunting trophy to India you have to first write a letter to the Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF) of your resident state explaining the species (give scientific name) you plan to hunt and give an undertaking that you will not exhibit it in public. That is you have to say that it is meant to be placed in your house. The CCF should be convinced that there is no similar "look alike" species in India and they will then give you a permission letter. Once this is done, you have to send the copy of the letter to the Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in your state and ask for an Import License. They will then get permission from CITES India. Once you get the license you can import the trophy. If you do this all at least 3 -4 months before you go on hunting, then you can bring it in your baggage (check with your airline if they allow carriage of hunting trophy).

So all the best and wish me luck :)

Below is a sample of the letter to CCF for importing hunting trophy to India

To
Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) & Chief Wildlife Warden
Your State

Sir

Sub: Import of Hunting Trophy from USA

I will be in New York, USA from xxxx to xxxxx and am planning legal guided hunting of the species listed below. These species can be legally hunted and does not need any permits to be exported out of Unites States as hunting trophy as it does not fall in CITES and ESA as per U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
1. Odocoileus virginianus ssp. Borealis (Northern White-tailed Deer) or Odocoileus virginianus ssp. Virginianus (Virginia white-tailed deer or southern white-tailed deer)
2. Cervus canadensis (Elk or Wapiti)
The origin of the species is from United States of America. I plan to import to India as personal baggage or Freight, hunting trophy of the above species consisting of Head and Shoulder Mount with Antlers and the Skin. The purpose of the hunting trophy is for personal use at my house. This is not for public exhibition or such purpose.
I also accept to abide by any rules and regulations as per direction of Government of India / Kerala and concerned Ministries / Department in this matter.
Please consider my request at the earliest and issue me a permit for importation of Hunting Trophy.
Thanking you
Yours Sincerely

panzernain
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by panzernain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:07 pm

NairSaab wrote:Hi All,
Just wanted to update the law on importing hunting trophy to India. I searched a lot and called up many Government departments and ministry and the result is that I have the rules and regulations now. I have started the process (it seems my request is the first in my state) and hope to get my own trophy on the wall soon :))

To import hunting trophy to India you have to first write a letter to the Chief Conservator of Forest (CCF) of your resident state explaining the species (give scientific name) you plan to hunt and give an undertaking that you will not exhibit it in public. That is you have to say that it is meant to be placed in your house. The CCF should be convinced that there is no similar "look alike" species in India and they will then give you a permission letter. Once this is done, you have to send the copy of the letter to the Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in your state and ask for an Import License. They will then get permission from CITES India. Once you get the license you can import the trophy. If you do this all at least 3 -4 months before you go on hunting, then you can bring it in your baggage (check with your airline if they allow carriage of hunting trophy).

So all the best and wish me luck :)

Below is a sample of the letter to CCF for importing hunting trophy to India

To
Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) & Chief Wildlife Warden
Your State

Sir

Sub: Import of Hunting Trophy from USA

I will be in New York, USA from xxxx to xxxxx and am planning legal guided hunting of the species listed below. These species can be legally hunted and does not need any permits to be exported out of Unites States as hunting trophy as it does not fall in CITES and ESA as per U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
1. Odocoileus virginianus ssp. Borealis (Northern White-tailed Deer) or Odocoileus virginianus ssp. Virginianus (Virginia white-tailed deer or southern white-tailed deer)
2. Cervus canadensis (Elk or Wapiti)
The origin of the species is from United States of America. I plan to import to India as personal baggage or Freight, hunting trophy of the above species consisting of Head and Shoulder Mount with Antlers and the Skin. The purpose of the hunting trophy is for personal use at my house. This is not for public exhibition or such purpose.
I also accept to abide by any rules and regulations as per direction of Government of India / Kerala and concerned Ministries / Department in this matter.
Please consider my request at the earliest and issue me a permit for importation of Hunting Trophy.
Thanking you
Yours Sincerely
Great effort for doing this conclusive research. Congrats.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm

FYI
http://dgft.gov.in/exim/2000/committee/ ... 6.2017.pdf
you might want to go thru Part 8 - in page 13
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 am

Thanks @panzernain and @snIPer
I called up MoEFF & CC and they advised me to go through the local CCF who will send a letter to DGFT and they will ask clearance of MoEFF & CC and CITES. Its a lengthy process. You can see that there is a gap of at least a few months from date of import and the order. Dont want my stuff to attract demurrage / warehouse charges in customs, hence will start import process only after I get the permits. I am back from USA hunting trip and got myself a fat Whitetail deer with 12 points and at least 170 SCI. Have started the taxi process.
Btw I am planning another trip to USA by mid February before the antlers are shed. The place where I plan to go will also have ice fishing at that time. Total cost including return flight, stay etc for a 6 -7 days hunting trip will be about 3-4 lakhs INR. If anyone is interested you can pm me. If you plan ahead, you have enough time for getting a Visa also. February is the cheapest time to visit USA.
I also heard from my friends there that Visitors can buy armaments for hunting :D (y)

NairSaab
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by NairSaab » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I received a letter rejecting my application for import of hunting trophy :(
So until we have a more progressive law have to see my trophy on someones wall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm

The law has to reasonable to accomplish some purpose or goal. Have you gone through the stated policy and law? Is it reasonable to reject, is any purpose or goal is been served by rejection? Does the State have jurisdiction to bring non commercial/ private import under purview of taxation and licensing? Have you talked with your lawyer if anything can be done?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

I presume It is better thru go thru an agent.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.