A fixed blade on Camp

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

A fixed blade on Camp

Post by SMJ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Has anyone ever taken one with blade length of 6" or more (keeping in mind what is legally allowed) on an overnight camp?
Last edited by SMJ on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: A fixed blade on Camp

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Dear SMJ, I do Take a Khukri With me. I brought it long back. no bill Available as Some road side vendors were selling these items. blade length is approx 14''. and with handle 18'' or so.
Not specifically hike or camp sort of things but sometimes I do out with friends to some near by rivers or some rural areas, where in weekly haat ( Village Weekly market)people use to sale fresh lamb/pork or fish or some other sort of meat.
If we get something good then We cook that stuff in some nearby area and....
Khukri actually solve all the purpose so I pref. it over any chopper.
Regards

Shivaji

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 am

Hello Shivaji Dasgupta- thanks for the response. In non urban areas, I guess things work differently :)

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 pm

But for Camping and Hiking You need to go country sides/ secluded areas.
legal point is an important thing but most of the hiking/ trekking/ Camp organizers ask for at least a multi purpose knife kit. Never see anyone checking for the bills there. a lot of tour organizers are based in Rishikesh/ Dehradun/ Nainital. Most of them have a common asking for gears. and knife is among them. they also sale multi purpose as well as fixed knifes to the hikers.
I am out of sport for a long time so May be Now Legal issue is more strongly inspected by the authorities.
Regards

Shivaji

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am

a lot of tour organizers are based in Rishikesh/ Dehradun/ Nainital. Most of them have a common asking for gears. and knife is among them.

Correct, a pocket knife is mentioned - however no specifications

My question is general but if i have to be specific my intention is to find out if city folk have done so especially as we camp in the wilderness, on the outskirts of the city and just a few hours drive away. To reiterate we are referring to blades of 6" or more but within legal limits