Night Vision Devices in India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Night Vision Devices in India

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 am

Hi guys,

I would like to know from my well informed colleagues that what is the status of owning a Night Vision Device (NVD) in India. I searched Amazon, they have few good devices available. The NVDs available on Amazon are Sightmark Generation 1 and Bushnell Digital NVDs. The best devices are Gen3 or above. I would like know if it is possible to import a Gen3 or above, like PVS14, NVD into India? If any paperwork is required?

NVDs are great devices for outdoor activities, like hiking during night, wildlife watching or home security. I would also like to know the experiences of IFG members who have NVDs with them.

Cheers
Vikramaditya Singh.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Night Vision Devices in India

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 pm

If I am able to recall correctly, import is restricted. It means your import can or rather will get confiscated by Customs unless you have import license. But if by hook or crook you are able to import it or it is able cross the border, not aware of any law prohibiting possession of night vision devices within the country.

In order to protect their technology, the countries that manufacture night vision devices also may not allow export of 3rd generation and above night vision devices.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm

So Mr. goodboy_mentor, have you tried to get a NVD or have tried importing it yourself?

Regards.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 pm

No I have not tried to import and will not try to import because the item is restricted for import. Few years ago, had a telephonic conversation with one importer in Delhi, he had night vision devices in stock. He said these were for government departments like railways, police etc. He would sell one to me if I am able to get written permission from Ministry of Home Affairs. Dropped the idea because of the hassle involved and difficulty in convincing the Home Ministry and then taking the matter to courts with practically no solution in sight. Unless you have written permission from government or you are "somebody" whom Customs dare not touch or very experienced in dealing with Customs in "practical" manner, it will normally get confiscated and the money spent to buy it will go waste.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 am

I had also talked to a dealer in Delhi about NVDs and he told me same thing. Then it seems that people at Amazon.in are befooling us by show NVDs for sale on their website.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:09 pm

sumbriavikramaditya wrote:Then it seems that people at Amazon.in are befooling us by show NVDs for sale on their website.
Whether they are fooling or not, may or may not be true, because government rules might have changed. You have to officially verify from Amazon in written manner, if the product is already in stock located in India and what happens to your money if product is not delivered or defective etc. If product is already in stock located in India then I do not think there is much to worry(assuming the product is genuine and seller has good reputation). If the product will be imported after you make payment then what happens to your money if the product is not allowed in by Customs. Amazon should answer it officially. Also whether these products are genuine or counterfeit needs to be verified. If payment after delivery option is available, it is comparatively safer option(assuming the product is genuine and seller has good reputation).

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes, that's a good point. Lets see what can be done in this regard. I will confirm this if I plan to get a NVD in future.

Regards