My dentist, the leopard slayer!

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

My dentist, the leopard slayer!

Post by SMJ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi,

Came across this old article, mentions one of our own exceptional member who's stories are riveting :cheers:
Not sure if it was shared earlier but here goes.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 837017.cms

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: My dentist, the leopard slayer!

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 am

PrashantSingh is definitely a member here.
If any of you haven't, you must read his stories.
His writing style, to me, is as riveting as Corbett or Kenneth Anderson.

When deer hunting, I would often go out at about 4:00 am so I could settle down in my spot and catch the deer coming back to their beds at dawn.
I have often noticed that one cannot see the front sight till just as the sun comes up. If you're in a valley or nullah, it might take longer that. The same thing starts to happen at dusk and pretty soon, you're left helpless, without any way to make an accurate shot.
As dawn approaches and the forest comes alive with the sound of the birds and the animals waking up, I would be unsure of any shot taken, even up close till I could see the front sight. Often, you could clearly see the deer as they stealthily made their way back to their bedding area but without a front sight, there was no way to make a clean shot. The risk of just wounding the animal or missing it totally and giving away your position was too great to take.
When reading Corbett and Anderson, I always marveled at the sheer intestinal fortitude displayed by them.
Waiting on a maneater; sitting, at night, out in the open in a chair or walking out on the jungle paths at night.
Even though I knew that I was in a part of North America where there is absolutely nothing dangerous in the woods, my imagination does play tricks on me. I would look around into the darkness and I would think; "Man, those guys had guts. I would never be able to or want to do that".

Prashant is one of those few select individuals who chooses to be out there; risking his life, without any hope of personal gain, for the benefit of others.
For this, I admire him greatly and am glad to consider him a friend.

Some of his stories are available here:
Four Leopards in four days
The maneater of Devprayag
The Pithoragarh maneater
The maneater that stood its ground
The maneating Tigres of Moradabad
The maneating Leopardess of the F.R.I

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:10 am

I have often noticed that one cannot see the front sight till just as the sun comes up. If you're in a valley or nullah, it might take longer that. The same thing starts to happen at dusk and pretty soon, you're left helpless, without any way to make an accurate shot.
very interesting fact- learnt something new; thanks for sharing it XL target (y)
When reading Corbett and Anderson, I always marveled at the sheer intestinal fortitude displayed by them.
Waiting on a maneater; sitting, at night, out in the open in a chair or walking out on the jungle paths at night.
Yes, I could not agree more. Even an experience of walking through the forests of South India at noon is completely unnerving especially as it is elephant and bear country. I can imagine these gentlemen really must have had nerves of steel in order to do what they did in such forests!

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:46 pm

That's an old article .
I subsequently had a panga with the reporter and am presently her sworn enemy
Thanks for the kind words xl. Though I do not deserve the praise .