What would you do in a situation like this ?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: What would you do in a situation like this ?

Post by hvj1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Sam47 and SMJ,

First and foremost let us throw that 'renown shot' out of the window. Believe me it counts for zilch when faced with a man eating tiger. Thankfully I have never hunted big game and or dangerous game and never hankered for the tag either, But my friend it really takes a helluva lot of nerves to even look at a tiger dead in the eye. Probably you and me could just freeze when faced with a real life situation when we come face to face with a tiger.
I would definitely freeze more out of admiration for the majesty of the animal and may end up admiring the insides of the tiger, :lol:

I think Prashant is one of the few qualified gents on this forum who can comment sagely on the topic, while others like you, AGN and self can exercie our imaginations on 'What if situations?'

But pretty good points you both have made, no harm in exercising the imagination.

For Advertising mail webmaster
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:38 pm

it really takes a helluva lot of nerves to even look at a tiger dead in the eye. Probably you and me could just freeze when faced with a real life situation when we come face to face with a tiger.
This is true!!
A little OTT here but I hope your Koyna Chandoli project is fully up and running now :)

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Hell No! unfortunately, when I started off, I was full of zip and zim now I realise that I can only do so much.. within the time I have remaining to me (I am 55 now). Three years ago my dear wife and self have started a school and our complete focus and attention is aimed at achieving one and only one thing ' A good, stress free learning environment', Since I cannot do much for the tigers at least we try to nurture young minds, hopefully they may go on to become 'tigers' in their own chosen profession.
The environment that we have created deals with the fun and joy in learning. To cut to the chase, one way we measure ourselves is by getting feedback from the parents on 'What is the attitude of the youngsters towards their home work?' Off the 54 students enrolled in our school , 51 kids COMPLETE their homework within a few hours of reaching their homes. Only 3 kids need to be pushed by their parents.
Do you know why? Because they have a lot of FUN doing their homework. Our teachers take great pains in developing CREATIVE homework.
There are many more activities that we do in our school which are quite different, one of them is Parents' participation in craft, art and project work. This creates fantastic bonding between child and parents...
Well i could go on and on..
Regards

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Only 55! Still young sir :lol:
Sad to know the Koyna project didn't take off.. my guess is in order to succeed at environmental work in this country one (ironically) needs to have tremendous political clout. I have stayed at Koyna and have trekked through those beautiful forests around 5 years ago. Even then I could see little houses and resorts mushrooming around the buffer zone- wonder what its like now!

Good to hear about the school though- funnily enough a couple of days back, my wife and I were discussing exactly the type of learning and environment you have created as the ideal schooling we would want for our daughter. I believe schools should encourage and develop the child's natural affinity whatever it may be and not merely throw kids into a rat race with tremendous pressure to constantly get top grades!!
Our teachers take great pains in developing CREATIVE homework. There are many more activities that we do in our school which are quite different, one of them is Parents' participation in craft, art and project work. This creates fantastic bonding between child and parents...
what great ideas (y) (y) Exactly whats lacking in most schools here which only want results and top grades all the time!!

Hvj1 just a small suggestion if I may, why don't you also start or include a wildlife education program to your school if you haven't already...

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 am

SMJ
One of the hazards of creating a stress free environment in schools is that the little ones turn into real wild creatures, so much of pent up energy is relieved in the school that the teachers are pooped at the the end of the day. Yes its an excellent suggestion, we do take them out on school trips, such as the flower valley at Kaas Plateau and visit to a nearby dam and lake. This year we plan to take them to an Agro Tourism center. I think once they grow to about 10 years or so, then we could contemplate camping overnight in a reasonably safe forest. Provided the parent accompany them.
Thanks for the wonderful idea.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 pm

As I was going through some posts I came across this old but very interesting thread and re read it all in detail. I am not sure how many of the gents who have answered here are still active on IFG but reading it in details I came across some points I missed earlier
Why this more than necessary interest in "wearing traditional clothes" angle ? Will a man-eater spare me if I wear jeans and a tee and splash Old Spice on my clean shaven face ? :-)
Hi AGN, logically that should be true as wild animals would not know the difference between a pair of jeans and a dhoti lol. Circumstances today are different in villages but back then wild animals usually knew (maybe it was their sixth sense) if someone was dressed differently from the regular village folk - this was especially true of man eaters. Therefore both Corbett and Anderson when hunting man eaters have made a mention in their stories of either personally dressing in traditional clothes or making a dummy dressed in traditional clothes for the purpose of the hunt so as not to arouse suspicion!
My question to you hvj1 sir is a maneater that too one that doesn't accept animal baits must have survived many trials of shikaris.

What I remember reading in a lot of 'shikar' stories is that man eaters are opportunistic hunters- which means they will hunt man when they can as man is the slow and clumsy therefore easy prey. However they will also continue to hunt regular prey. In a lot of cases man eaters are not very easily identified and sometimes it takes a long time before they are shot. A tiger needs to eat at least twice a week - if it was killing only humans the number of people killed would be extremely high. Such a beast would not survive too long and the end for it would come very swiftly indeed. This means they were probably varying their diet and hunting other prey animals as well besides man.
First and foremost let us throw that 'renown shot' out of the window. Believe me it counts for zilch when faced with a man eating tiger. Thankfully I have never hunted big game and or dangerous game and never hankered for the tag either, But my friend it really takes a helluva lot of nerves to even look at a tiger dead in the eye. Probably you and me could just freeze when faced with a real life situation when we come face to face with a tiger.
I was wondering why I mentioned renowned shot in the first place! Something made me think of it as I know logically target shooters no matter how
good and accurate they are, do not necessarily make good hunters and vice versa. I suddenly remembered today that when making my post I had possibly thought of Nawab Shafat Ali Khan who has always been called upon in the last few years to hunt modern day man eaters and rogue elephants. He also happens to be a renowned shot in big bore!
Last edited by SMJ on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 pm

I would dig a large trench surrounding the girl and cover it with twigs and leaves and take the shot......

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello Peacelover,
I wonder who would watch your back when you are busy digging that trench. Better to pay someone to do it and then keep an eye out preferably looking over the sights. Now then that too can get tiring...you could drop your guard.

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am

Hello sir ji,
Yes sir you are absolutely right ,will dig trench by taking help ,yes I may drop my guard for sure......

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 am

I would request another hunter to accompany me and take position from a different angle.If none is willing to come, will make sure trench has some spikes in the bottom and the girl is in safe position at any cost,,,As I may get sleep or drop my guard ,still I will go ahead with the plan ,my security is a secondary matter Iam willing to take my chances .....Will carry a large double edged dager on person and I might also wear a spiked collar to my neck.....

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am

I remind me some how the Man eating tiger of Dhar District of MP. The then DM shot that beast.
Regards

Shivaji

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Sir ji Age is just a number ....I wish you all the very best may God give you Good health and wealth...so that you may keep on going for a good cause...... :-)

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi guys, is there a possibility of getting .458 Winchester cartridges in India?

Regards
Vikramaditya Singh.