StingRay kills Crocodile Hunter

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
perazzi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

StingRay kills Crocodile Hunter

Post by perazzi » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Sad News indeed.

My condolences.

regds Rohit.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Sad news, indeed. The only good thing that could be said is that he died doing what he loved doing.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm

Quite distressing. I always loved his shows. He lived dangerously close to the deadliest creatures and entertained always and did educate sometimes. I loved the happy scene of his wife Teri and their pet mutt sitting in the boat and Steve in the waters hunting turtles or Crocs. Running and catching wild boars.... who would do that but an utterly insane man. All with his very boyish grinning face. I watched that programme when he caught a lot of Rattlers in the US and even attended a Tuxedo and bow-tie dinner in his trademark khakis and jungle boots. I think the shows he did was the only way he wanted to live. I really feel bad.Let the cynics Say whatever they want to, he was loved by millions of kids and adults around the planet.May his soul rest in peace. My deepest condolences to his family. :cry: :cry:

Sorry for the longish elegy folks. But, I really feel bad about it.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Its sad indeed.Those who live on the edge and like to push the limits generally die young ,but in many cases their contribution to a cause are beyond what could be accompalished by conventional methods. Just seemed to be a bit crazy to me though .What contribution he made to science and our understanding of wild life is something that only the scientific community can answer.Seems that the boring stuff contributes more to this than his antics,entertaining though they might have been.

Take care,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:33 am

A good man,
He made the most dangerous things seem so easy and comfortable because of his depth of knowledge...not easy to keep a live commentary going into the camera when facing a venomous reptile at 6"-I know , i've tried it.
RIP Steve.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

stripes
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by stripes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:09 am

What a pleasure to be able to visit this website and read the insightful and respectful reactions to the death of this admirable fellow. Some of the responses on other hunting/gun related sites had left me sick at heart, this day. Thank you GENTLEMEN!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:21 am

Nick,

To receive this compliment from you is an ultimate honour, my friend. There are few if any perfect gentlemen like you in the world, leave shooting and guns alone.

Yes, this is a sad time and we all feel bad for Steve's children. It was a sad loss and he was a remarkable man who will always be remembered.

Mehul

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Loved his Shows. One of the unlucky 19 people killed by a Stingray in last 100 years (from TOI)

RIP my friend.. :(

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

steve's tragic death

Post by sat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:38 am

I got this text message from a friend in Mumbai who's children regularly watched his programme without fail. 'Uncle steve's is going to come on TV, we have to go now', is what the kids would tell me..

text msg - "Really sad, He served the cause of animals in life and in a way in death too. He always challenged the proximity of wild animals. I remember Berty ( a friend who died in the estates in South India after a Indian Gaur/bison attacked him during a bison rescue attempt, bison was stuck in a deep irrigation ditch)
But steve was special and I guess he had to go out this way. A big loss for animal cause, I loved his enthusiatic attitude, hope he inspires many more.

sat

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: StingRay kills Crocodile Hunter

Post by dev » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:27 pm

Idea for a tribute... I will be visiting Oz In Dec(god willing). I think if our board members would like to send a signed condolence I would be happy to carry it from our board.

I can't figure out how it happened but I guess heaven needed a man like him to lighten up the harp music. I liked his antics well and can feel a bit of what his family is going thru.

I am happy to read that there are so many who loved him here.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.