the flight of the Flamingos

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

the flight of the Flamingos

Post by Lanceman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:45 pm

A Sunday morning by a nearby lake, we watch the flamingos fly in. Here is the story of an amazing sight. My lens a puny 200mm, couldn't cope, so please see the link with a view of enjoying the moment rather than the photographs. Thanks to Kshitij for this lovely moment.

http://xerxespa.blogspot.in/2016/04/fli ... ingos.html
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: the flight of the Flamingos

Post by kshitij » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Lovely images sir. The 200 held up pretty well.
Cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 pm

put up yours Kshitij, they were exquisite

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for the great photos, Lanceman.
Kshitij, we would like to see yours too.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Will do it tonight. Taken quite a bunch of pictures, haven't been able to sort through them...
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Here are few pictures that i have randomly picked up.
The sight of the birds coming in, in the thousands in an almost choreographed manner and then banking and landing in the water while still in formation was truly spectacular. This wasn't the first time I witnessed this but the experience was as enthralling as the first time I saw it. People (including me :P ) go all the way to lake Nakuru to catch a glimpse of these birds while we have a front row seat to the show right in our backyard.

When the birds flocked in formation, they remind me of the images of bombing squadrons that we see in pictures from WW2...
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_9343.jpg
IMG_9348.jpg
IMG_9909.jpg
Added in 4 minutes 49 seconds:
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_9365.jpg
IMG_9369.jpg
Last but not the least, this was the sight when we arrived on site... it had me worried that i was going to be lynched by brig and brihaji for dragging them out into the sun on a Sunday :mrgreen:
IMG_9317.jpg
Added in 5 minutes 47 seconds:
P.s
open individual images in new tabs to see the full size images.
Had to resize all images to fit the 2mb file upload limit of the forum. Hence image quality may be slightly diminished.
The images were randomly selected while giving the set a quick brush trough. Will post the rest this weekend.
This is more or less what i could get with my limited skill and equipment :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:37 am

It seems you guys had a stupendous time!! I missed the show :cry: :cry:
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:02 am

They will be here atleast one more weekend. Also today while crossing the Airoli bridge, saw the birds in the creek below in sizeable numbers.
The plus point at airoli is that you can take one of the fishing boats go to within a few feet of them without spooking them. The only con is that the boats are 2 feet by 6 feet contraptions that dont make you feel safe at all. So going in them with your camera and other gear is like an extreme sport of sorts.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

gaurav31dec
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gaurav31dec » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing. This indeed is a beautiful site. I can so relate to this as I spent 2 days following these beautiful birds at sambar lake in Rajasthan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Kshitij, superb pics, but you are embarrassing me now. Your lovely flamingo pics next to mine where the birds look like sparrows. but lets try this weekend, also lets try the boat too?

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:32 pm

We could go there early morning and try our luck with the boats and then head to the lake. Alternatively we could do it on two different days (sat/sun).
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Great photos Lanceman and and Kshitij,
The only con is that the boats are 2 feet by 6 feet contraptions that dont make you feel safe at all. So going in them with your camera and other gear is like an extreme sport of sorts.
What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:59 pm

After a long hiatus it turned out to be an unbelievable treat for me. At 8 am on that Sunday Kshitij called to say that he had sighted a flock of Flamingos near the Vashi Creek adjoining the Palm Beach Road....Excitement ran high as Lanceman, Kshitij & I drove down to the locale. Initially (around 10 am) all we could sight was a tiny group of 4 Flamingos lazily foraging in the shallow waters, Anyway out came the cameras with Tele lenses to capture this 4 some. Soon the skies darkened when a formation of 50 to 75 birds flew in like a squadron of B52 bombers and landed with precision and this was followed by several batched which finally amounted to an astounding 2500 (approx) of them.

For almost 3 hours they silently fed and curled up with their beaks into their feathers for a snooze. Chances are that they will hand around for another 2 weeks and take off to the Rann of Kutch to breed.

Both Lanceman & Kshitij have captured the saga beautifully....enjoy the visuals!!!
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Welcome back, Brihaji.