A fellow camper

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

A fellow camper

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 pm

In a previous thread we were talking about why camping is so popular in the USA. I surmised that one reason might be a lack of Apex predators in most of the US. Unlike India, where camping in a forest, might expose you to a predator who might view a camper in his sleeping bag as a tasty snack like pigs in a blanket.

Well, not all parts of the US are defanged and sanitised. Alaska is one of those states where there are plenty of predators who have little fear of man. Predators like bears of all kinds; black , brown, grizzled and Polar. Here is one Alaska camper who was probably wishing he had packed some extra underwear for the trip.
I hope Mr Tripathi will brush up on his American idioms and watch his grammar a little bit in the future ....., just so he doesn't make us Indians look bad. It has nothing to do with eating but it could be. It is "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you" and you can substitute "git" instead of "get" if you are south of the Mason-Dixon line. I can still hear Mrs Stan of Mrs Stan's Primary School in Kirkee, Poona (yeah, it was still called that back then) saying: "You cannot use "but" or "and" after punctuation.

Still, sitting in the comfort of a warm building, I can safely say that it is a beautiful video, enjoy:
Camper Takes Video Of An Alaskan Brown Bear Stopping To Sit And Admire The View ... Right Next To Him
AUG 12, 2015 ARCHIT TRIPATHI UNEXPECTED
Sometimes they say you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you, but every so often, the bear may just have a little sit down with you instead. Drew Hamilton is an employee of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game who was camping at the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary and Refuge. He was watching other bears fish in the river below when a huge Alaskan brown bear walks up to his campsite and sits down right next to him.

Thankfully, Hamilton kept his composure. The bear appears to be pretty calm and, although it is definitely a natural response, acting scared and screaming/running may have agitated the bear into action (and/or one or more of the other bears down in the river below). He managed to capture this incredible footage on a very close encounter, before the bear eventually walks away again.

McNeil River State Game Sanctuary and Refuge is the home of the world's highest concentration of wild brown bears thanks to the area's abundant salmon population. According to their website, at least 144 individual bears can be spotted on the river over the course of the summer and up to 74 bears have been spotted in a single encounter. In order to protect humans and the bears, visitors receive permits to access the viewing area via a lottery system.
See the original article HERE

Notice that the gun (stainless and black object in the bottom right of the frame) is closer to the bear than to him.
I'll be willing to be that he keeps it closer from now on. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: A fellow camper

Post by kshitij » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Who is this guy? The Bear whisperer?!

The video is really beautiful till the bear is sitting next to him. It looks cute too with its fluffy ears n all. It starts to get a bit scary when the bear moves closer. But it is the last frame that takes the cake!
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Nice share chief (y) The bear seemed to be fairly peaceful and no threat - I suppose the gentlemen, who obviously seems experienced in these situations, also ensured he did not alarm the bear except when it got too close!
I surmised that one reason might be a lack of Apex predators in most of the US. Unlike India, where camping in a forest, might expose you to a predator who might view a camper in his sleeping bag as a tasty snack like pigs in a blanket.
XL Target, Frankly, I fear the 2 legged predators (especially the govt ones) far more than any beast in the jungle...

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 pm

Scary. But how the guy manage to keep his cool is amazing.

Atul

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 am

Lucky bear I can say, he did not own any taxes to fish department, otherwise .............
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:15 am

Hi xl_target,
Thanks for sharing this interesting video clip....
From the looks of it - it looks like the 'Bear' had a grand party the previous night (Bears Night Out!!!!)
The way he was yawing was a true give away!!!!!!
What appealed to me was the Bear's demeanor - Cool, Casual & Content....
There ain't no Salmon popping out of the river & no tasty tit-bits around to munch (breakfast)....
Best thing is to get out of this 'Darn Quiet Place' !!!!!
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 am

@Brihaji,
see the very end of the video. The party is still very much on in that river with about 25 bears in it.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Oh Yeah!
Probably this 'Guy' had enough of it & wanted time out!!!!!!
You know how 'Parties' are!!!!!!
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:09 pm

:P
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:57 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing this incredible video xl_target :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!