Telescopes, binoculars and other optics

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
abii
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Telescopes, binoculars and other optics

Post by abii » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi IFGians,
I request all those who have telescopes, binoculars and other such optics to share their experiences and photos.

Optical Telescope: Instrument used observe distant objects.

TYPES:
Refracting telescopes- suitable for celestial as well as terrestrial observations.
Reflecting telescopes- celestial objects only (because of the inverted image formed.)
catadioptric telescopes: Complex and complicated of all.

I developed interest in telescopes when i got to see Saturn rings in my school days. Now i own a celestron 70AZ refracting telescope which was bought a year ago. I proudly say that i have spent hours observing stars, star clusters, galaxies, planets like Jupiter Saturn and of course moon. Bird watching through the telescopes is another visual treat.

Magnication 35x, objective focal length 700mm and eyepiece focal lenght 20mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Telescopes, binoculars and other optics

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Here goes , what little I know about rifle scopes.

1. They are basically two types, one for air guns and other for regular fire arms.
2. The magnification starts from 2 X to i goes to really i not know how much. But I have heard of magnification of 32 X.
3. The objective lense starts from 7 to again I do now how how much.
4.The most popular ones used for hand held rifles are 3-9 X 40. as beyond 9 X the target picture shakes too much and a bipod is required beyond that magnification.

Not to forget that these come for night vision as well.

The above is my personal observation only, the experts may be able to give a clearer picture.

Photograph is attached.

The smaller one is 2 X 7 and the larger one is 3-9 X 40

Atul

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:50 pm

Rifle scopes aside, I use a Celestron G2 10X50 Porro for bird watching and "target scouting" during plinking sessions.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 pm

How and what use is it for target scouting??

Atul