rescue and release....of a leapord

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

rescue and release....of a leapord

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:41 am

friends,
i had an oppurtunity to work with forest dept in a rescue and release of a leapord that strayed into our town.this is the first time it has happened .it was an awesome experience to be there.
regards
dr.jk
it was a usual day,working in my hospital,when my cousin came gasping "bhaiya theres a tiger in our town".i was shocked,we never had any carnivore straying into our town.i was thrilled to know,but had to to confirm.so i called up a local forest gaurd and he said it was a 'leapord'.i wanted to see this leapord somehow,so i quickly went through my patients and ran home and collected my camera .but by the time i reached the leapord was caught. but my cousin was there early and got some pictures before it was captured. following are the pics taken when it was running around.

Added in 7 minutes 29 seconds:
As i travelling, to the spot,i heard from my cousin that the leapord was caught and just 2 where injured during the ordeal.they had used a net to capture the leapord and shifted him to a cage.best part was there where no casualties and leapord wasn't harmed.

Added in 9 minutes 6 seconds:
I reached the spot and the whole place was sorrunded by people.the fortest gaurds and the police set up a perimeter around the caged leapord.i walked straight to the DFO and said i am a wildlife enthusiast and would like to have some pics.he immediatly let us and i took some pictures as it was loaded into a truck.by then the crowd gathered and everyone was eager to take a glimpse and a picture .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: rescue and release....of a leapord

Post by brihacharan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Doc,
Wow what an experience you must've had, first the news, then your rushing to the site & the pictures!!!!!
Thank providence that this leopard was not a "Man Eater"!!!!!!!
IMHO....the poor creature must've strayed into the village looking for prey as it probably couldn't find any in the jungle.....
Wonder if the forest authorities had tagged / collared the animal to track its movements : :roll:
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:40 am

What an exciting moment for you and the town dr.jayakumar. Thank you for sharing the images and story!

:D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Wonderful experience Dr. JK, but you rushed there with a camera only without your gun....

Atul

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:50 pm

yes friends thanks.
we decided to leave the leapord 15km deep into jungle the core area.we had taken several pics.the DFO was an experienced person and rest went smoothly.we then assessed the leapord,must be around 4yrs of age and his tummy was full,his teeth, build everything looked prime..there where no vets or neither collared(brihaji)as the leapord was to be released i climbed truck and lay on the roof to get some pictures of this magnificent leapord.i took several pictures when released but one last picture truly amazed me.he got out of the cage,didnt run fast ,after about 50 yards,he turned back and gave a look,lie saying,goodbye.. and dissappeared.
regards
dr.jk

Added in 1 minute :
last of the leapord..
regards
dr.jk

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
the last of the leapord.
regards
dr.jk

Added in 5 minutes 10 seconds:
Aadhaulya i saw no guns,none of the officials carried any..
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:10 pm

This is wonderful. But I can't imagine guys working without even a dart gun.

Atul

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 am

Lovely post Doc. Maarne wale se bara bachane wala hota hai.
Congratulations.
Regards prashant