My Ladakh trip(pics heavy)

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: My ladakh trip

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Great set of photos, Ashok. Thank you for sharing.

For your photos to be displayed here, copy the link from "direct" (e.g., http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j39 ... uxtve3.jpg) and paste it between (image tab available on your post options).

The image will be displayed in your post.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:27 am

We left srinagar and reached sonmarg in one hour.Roads were butter smooth distance between sonmarg and srinagar is 81km.
we enjoyed at sonmarg for some time then we left mighty zojily was waiting for us.Zojila pass is a gift from indian army to us it was under pak control in 1948 battle.
When there was no road to cross it were only treks where only men and mule could walk.Some got idea and army disassembled tanks and carried parts to zojila
and reassembled them and deployed tanks over there pak army could not believe this that indian army is marching towards them with tanks.When they realized it was
was true they left their posts.Crossing zojila is fun its too dusty when not raining and when raining its too slippery who dont like fun sit on back seat and keep your eyes
closed.if encounter any water stream just stop and let other cross it and make map in mind from where other vehicle crossed and follow that route.We crossed zolila
and reached drass.Road between drass and sonmarg is very bad.Drass is town where ladakh region starts.Who are vegie take your meal at drass it will be difficult to find veg food at kargil.we were in drass and we needed shelter jk tourism hotel was full packed.We found a room just apposite to sbi atm.it was just a roof over our head nothing else
i ordered my cousin bring food for me from punjabi dhaba ofcourece i was boss there i was only driver they had with some experience of driving trough hills.from here i called my friend who have completed ladakh circuit 5 times on bajaj bravo scooter whether we can take diamox tablets from here[for prevention of ams]he told me eat less and sip lot of water even its cold mix with hot water and drink it and dont let your body dehydrate and you will not need diamox
P.S note if you are visiting ladakh say good bye to your alcoholic drinks from sonmarg and if are coming from manali side leave it at manali
thanks

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:43 am

Thanks Vikram
i will edit my post tomorrow.I was waiting for your comment
i will post images of kargil war museum post tomorrow.
thanks

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 am

Beautiful photos.
Please keep posting.

Were there many petrol stations? Was it easy to get petrol?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:21 am

Nice inline images ashokgodara of your adventure. (y)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you
XL sir,CK sir
There is no problem of petrol on srinagar leh highway.for more info kindly see map i am attaching
thanks
@doubleagents download map and get it printed it will be very helpful in ladakh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:35 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Rrahulkumar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rrahulkumar » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Stop it Ashok.. I'm getting uncontrollable itch to load up my bullet nd head for the mountains once more right now...

Amazing pictures bro.. .!!!

Cheers..!
RK

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Rrahulkumar wrote:

Cheers..!
RK
Indeed, amazing.
Thank You for sharing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Rrahulkumar wrote:Stop it Ashok.. I'm getting uncontrollable itch to load up my bullet nd head for the mountains once more right now...

Cheers..!
RK
Just dont forget me for your next ladakh trip 8)

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:45 am

Here are some images from kargil war memorial at drass

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Beautiful images of awe inspiring, rugged vistas on one of the highest roads in the world! Thank you for sharing ashokgodara.

:cpix:

I wonder what that IGNITOR is besides the G3 Rifle and what is an Universal Machinegun?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 pm

beautiful pics and awesome description. Not sure if you guys are member of another forum named team bhp, there recently one post came as below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-tr ... mafia.html

Kindly read the thread. The current situation is still not cooled. So please enquire before you plan a trip there.

Hope nit hi-jacking the thread..
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:25 am

ckkalyan wrote:Beautiful images of awe inspiring, rugged vistas on one of the highest roads in the world! Thank you for sharing ashokgodara.

:cpix:

I wonder what that IGNITOR is besides the G3 Rifle and what is an Universal Machinegun?
No idea about the ignitor but the universal machine gun could be this. I can't really tell from the photo.

Czechoslovak 7.62 mm Universal Machine gun Model 1959.