.22 LR best round

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .22 LR best round

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 am

Ck another empirical data supporting 22 lr is best cartridge CANT find the damn ammo and its selling at a premium :deadhorse:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:07 am

Oggie, do you really need to restrict yourself to the Ruger 10/22?

You can buy silencers in New Zealand, right? I suggest you move up to a .223 bolt action to get the range you want. You could also get a .17 HMR cheaper.

Finally, if you really need that range with a 10/22, take a look at .17 HM2. It works out to those ranges and you can fire out of the 10/22 with just a barrel change. It even will load from your 10/22 mags, that was the purpose of the round. The downsides are that it is a smaller bullet, and you might have trouble getting it to run in semiauto without a different bolt carrier (which are for sale).

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am

Hi Commonwealth,

No I don't need to be restricted to the Ruger 10/22. Personally I like the round as its cheap, effective and very quiet in subsonic version with a suppressor. Yes we can have suppressed firearms here. Having owned both the .223 in Howa and also the nifty .204 in Ruger I still swear by the .22 for pest control. Also we traditionally shoot rabbits, hares, turkeys etc on working farms with either cattle or horses and the farmer generally stipulates the use of .22 with suppressors. Interesting about the HM2 ! I did not know that so thanks :)
The issue though with the HM2 would again be the crack and also its quite a light projectile and then I'm not keen to spend any more money on upgrades as yet or its back in the dog box with the missus again !
I'm keen to chart drop path for subsonics out to 150 metres and see what happens. I suspect it'll be a huge drop off !

Cheers,

Oggie

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm afraid that I find shooting .22 LR past 75 yards, at small targets, to be an exercise in frustration if there is any kind of wind blowing, especially when shooting subsonic ammo. The ammo just doesn't have the "oomph". If you're serious about shooting between 100 m and 150 m, maybe consider the .22 WMR but then the cost savings are gone and you're better off shooting a centerfire cartridge like .22 Hornet or .223.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:30 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:
Finally, if you really need that range with a 10/22, take a look at .17 HM2. It works out to those ranges and you can fire out of the 10/22 with just a barrel change. It even will load from your 10/22 mags, that was the purpose of the round. The downsides are that it is a smaller bullet, and you might have trouble getting it to run in semiauto without a different bolt carrier (which are for sale).
A "bolt carrier" in a Ruger 10/22 ???

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:20 am

TwoRivers wrote:
Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:
A "bolt carrier" in a Ruger 10/22 ???
You have Google :p

;)

You knew what I meant, bolt assembly. I just searched and there are number of products, including simple bolt handle. As I said, might not need anything but the barrel. I have never done it so do your homework.

Have a polar bear. Alaskans get cranky when they are hungry ;) (just kidding)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 am

I may have, but a lot of guys on the forum may not.

No polar bears, only for coastal natives. But constant rain and no moose works the same way.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:59 am

ngrewal wrote:Ck another empirical data supporting 22 lr is best cartridge CANT find the damn ammo and its selling at a premium :deadhorse:
LOL! empirical :lol: How true ngrewal - any improvement since your post, I mean in the availability factor of the best damn cartridge ever made in the Universe etc.,?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!