The maneater that stood it's ground

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The maneater that stood it's ground

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm

SS wrote:Prashant, It seems the leopard needed a visit to the dentist and thats exactly what it got. Cheers, SS
Good one SS, only this time the dentist decided to do a house call on the leopard! ROTFL
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 pm

ck
That article is not referring to this maneaters victim.
To Excellence through Diligence.

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:54 pm

prashantsingh wrote:There was an interesting experience I had which I must share with you all.
We found fresh leopard scat at both places where the maneater had hidden it's prey. The boy and the goat.
My understanding is that the leopard does so to mark the place. Big Cat poo has a distinct smell.
The leopard probably uses the scent to locate the meal when ever it comes next.
The other reason could be to keep other animals away. Stray dogs could snatch the prey. The strong leopard smell would keep dogs far far away.
Leopards are the apex predators here. Places where they share the habitat with the tiger. The tend to hide their kill up a tree. The tiger may be the King of the Indian jungle. But the leopard here is the undisputed Prince.

Timmy. We identified the size and the sex of the maneater on the second day itself. I shared the information with the DFO.
One school of thought was that the animal was a young inexperienced female (2 to 3 yrs of age).
The other school of thought was probably the leopardess was pregnant.
There was yet another wildlifer who felt that she had young cubs and was hence not leaving the area.
When the animal was finally shot.....all these assumptions were put to rest.

Why this maneater stood it's ground. Will perhaps always remain a mystery.

Mesmerizing account of the hunt Prashantji and awsome pics too....

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Safarigent wrote:ck That article is not referring to this maneaters victim.
Whoops, sorry - I was simply surfing the net to contribute more 'meat' from the news reports to add to your story! I was intrigued by the scores of news reporters disturbing you at the 'kill' scene and yet so little actual reports from them.

I was maybe, mistakenly drawn to the article by the close dates (Jan 2015) of man-eating leopard kills and dispatch in Dehradun? :oops: :?

Dang, this area seems to be crawling with maneaters - simply overrun by them, huh?! :cry:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 pm

The article ck has posted is referring to the Dehradun maneater and has a note on another incident elsewhere in the state. You did not meet the SDO Mr Gulbir Singh, Safarigent. He was the guy who brought tea and biscuits for us when the maneater stole the bait on day 2.
. Mr Gulbir felt so guilty of the episode that he never came after that , till the last day when the maneater was shot.
Last edited by prashantsingh on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm

I actually did meet him on the 24 and 25 while staying at the FRH.
:) in the hulaboo, forgot to tell you

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:39 pm

A very interesting thread by Prashant ji!

May I ask the members who are experienced in matters related to wild cats, is keeping some vicious dog as pet in house any help to keep animal like leopard away? Read on some sites that some dogs like Rhodesian ridgebacks have been used in past to hunt lions or similar animals.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 pm

goodboy_mentor,
This particular maneater was what we today call an urban leopard.
Such leopards are found not only in this part of the country but also around the outskirts of Mumbai.
A detailed research was done on these animals using radiocollars in Mumbai.
It was found that 90% of the diet of an urban leopard is domesticated animals.
Out of this 60% is dogs.
So dogs actually make a major part of a leopard's diet.
Packs of dogs may prevent a leopard attack but a single dog stands little chance infront of an experienced big cat. Whatever the breed.

In the Himalayas there is a popular breed of dogs called "Bhutia". They are also known as the Himalayan sheep dogs. You will often find four-five of these dogs accompanieng a herd of sheep/goats.
In a pack they ward off leopard attacks. The owners put special spiked metal collars on the dogs to prevent leopards from killing them. Since Leopards tend to catch the prey from the neck.

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 pm

@goodboy_mentor:

You may want to look into getting a couple of Rampur Hounds.
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 am

Rampur hounds need a lot of space plus like all sight hounds have an enhanced natural tendency to chase anything running away from them, eg small kids etc.
My friends in rajasthan with large farms have boerboels/ridge backs/bull mastiffs to ward off such attacks...
These maybe a good starting point. So would dogo argentinos

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:44 am

Prashantji, thanks not only for the story, but also for your analysis. Who but you could draw conclusions from this data!

I find it interesting and sad to note that human pressure seems to be at the bottom of this cat's demise -- here, I refer to the poachers and the cat chipping its tooth on the snare. I could understand the tooth of an old beast cracking, like mine! :-(, but what might crack a younger animal's tooth? As I was reading through this, my thoughts went to the answer of "metal."

I also found your recounting study data about "urban leopards" interesting. Years ago out here in New Jersey, I thought that if coyotes ever took hold here, they would overrun the place. Now, 25 years later, that has happened. Maybe they have not overrun New Jersey, but they are not at all uncommon. I have seen them in the evening on the way home from work. What can they eat? There are few natural predators here and lots of small deer, rabbits, etc., gobbling up people's lawns and landscaping. There are also a lot of people with pets. I'm sure that coyotes take a good number of cats and dogs.

However, as you say about Mumbai: Thank goodness we don't have leopards here! There would be a great deal of food for them and as they are so smart, I'm sure that any urban environment is a place they would do quite well.

What a shame! We spoil the wild areas and leave trash around our own urban and suburban areas -- is it any wonder that the wildlife situation is in such a topsy-turvy state?

That cat is truly a magnificent animal. It is a shame that they cannot let her live forever, in a way, by putting her in a museum somewhere.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 am

Leopard kills dog in Mumbai apartment (video).
To me it appears that the dog struggles for one second - after that either its spine is snapped or its skull is crushed

[youtube][/youtube]

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Prashantsinghji as always what a fantastic narration! Extremely gripping.Well, congratulations to all of you gentlemen involved for successfully bagging the right animal. We hope that anyone who hunts these magnificent cats in order to save human lives also always has the same magnanimous thinking that you do sir :cheers: :cheers:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:08 am

Prashant and team,

Kudos to you all for successfully bringing this leopard down. Unfortunate but what must be done must be done.

Prashant, once again you have surpassed the high bar that you have set for yourself. What amazes me is your compassion and respect for the animal that you are bound to kill. Also is notable that you do not demonise the beast to lionise yourself. Or rush into shooting an animal to bask in the glory. You have my respect for all these traits. An honourable man worthy enough to take upon this task, given the challenges our wildlife faces.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Prashant,
> Bravo & well done :D
> Hats off to your tenacity & patience, an accomplishment worthy of honor & applause :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Briha