How to cook and eat breadfruit?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: How to cook and eat breadfruit?

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:27 am

brihacharan wrote:> Just remembered .... In the film "Mutiny on the Bounty" - Capt. Bligh on landing in Tahiti asks his major-domo Fletcher Christian to look for Breadfruit to feed his sailors :D

> In the 1962 film - Marlon Brando played Fletcher Christian & Trevor Howard, Capt. William Bligh.
That's my favorite version, Briha. I love the beautiful cinematography and the wonderful Bronisław Kaper score. Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard, and Tarita lead a great cast. (I can't say that I ever cared for Richard Harris's work in this film, however.) This movie was famous for Marlon Brando's eccentric party behavior, and Hugh Griffith's (How to Steal a Million and Ben Hur, among other movies) behavior caused French authorities to request his immediate departure and prohibition from ever returning.

The replica HMS Bounty was built for the movie and sadly sunk off of North Carolina, trying to escape Hurricane Sandy, with the loss of two lives, IIRC.

I keep wanting to watch our copy, but my Wife feels it is too sad and hasn't been interested in my playing it. :-(
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:56 am

timmy wrote:
brihacharan wrote:> Just remembered .... In the film "Mutiny on the Bounty" - Capt. Bligh on landing in Tahiti asks his major-domo Fletcher Christian to look for Breadfruit to feed his sailors :D

> In the 1962 film - Marlon Brando played Fletcher Christian & Trevor Howard, Capt. William Bligh.
That's my favorite version, Briha. I love the beautiful cinematography and the wonderful Bronisław Kaper score. Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard, and Tarita lead a great cast. (I can't say that I ever cared for Richard Harris's work in this film, however.) This movie was famous for Marlon Brando's eccentric party behavior, and Hugh Griffith's (How to Steal a Million and Ben Hur, among other movies) behavior caused French authorities to request his immediate departure and prohibition from ever returning.

The replica HMS Bounty was built for the movie and sadly sunk off of North Carolina, trying to escape Hurricane Sandy, with the loss of two lives, IIRC.

I keep wanting to watch our copy, but my Wife feels it is too sad and hasn't been interested in my playing it. :-(
Timmy - you put the clock back, what a pleasurable rewind :D
I believe Marlon Brando later married Tarita...correct me if I 'm wrong...
Yes, the unfortunate sinking of HMS Bounty was tragic....
Speaking of Hugh Griffith - what a character ....remember in Ben Hur...after the meal he expects Ben to "Burp" an indication of having enjoyed the meal :D
Will those classics ever fade in one's memory....I doubt :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 am

Breadfruit, young ladies in grass skirts, coconut flavoured rum, golden beaches, dazzling sunrises....... I need to wake up!!

Apropos the Bounty, Captain Bligh was later "rewarded" with the governorship of Australia, then a penal settlement. The mutineers went on to found a reasonably independent country which is still an isolated paradise which does not welcome too many tourists.

By the way, one of the people killed when the replica "Bounty" went down was the great-great-(??)granddaughter of Fletcher Christian. And in the opinion of many people, the ship should have stayed in port like the old time "tall ships" used to do, and not ventured out. Moreover, she had a very very small crew to sail a three masted schooner, and relied mainly on her engines. When the engines failed, they just could not revert to sails, as they did not have anywhere near a strong enough crew. Those Royal Navy ships had crews of hundreds! And each one of them could climb up and down the shrouds like Tarzan.

And apropos the remarks on the harsh quality of life in the hospitality industry, I would like to say that the other guy always seem to have a greener lawn! No one, for example, gives me a tip!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 pm

TwoRivers wrote: Mark,
Go to Hawaii and have some "poi". Briha's recipe seems like a vast improvement. The taste of poi is normally likened to library paste, and I think that's a pretty good description.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Hawaiian "Poi" is made of "Taro" roots, a staple food among Polynesians....
In Kerala (Southern India) the Tapioca root is used to make a gruel similar to Poi...its often eaten with a tangy / sweet chutney.
They also make 'wafers' out of Tapioca....a tad harder than potato wafers but quite tasty :D
Briha

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks Briha. Now I know that what my host was serving was "poi'ulu", not "poi". I was deceived.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:36 am

I wonder how I missed this post! Thanks for all the amazing information gents.

I hope Mark has finally managed to prepare and eat the breadfruit? Hints here: [youtube][/youtube]

I think I must have passed by many displays of breadfruit in my time and mistaken them for jackfruit. They are almost identical from the outside! I have also tried savoury dishes made from breadfruit which I mistook for 'unripe' jackfruit. Not surprisingly some of the South Indian names for breadfruit it usually means/translates to a 'savoury' or 'curry' jackfruit.

This is an ah ha moment for me. I must find one and cook it as soon as possible. :D

Re the jackfruit - I learned how to cut up and prepare one from my dad - live demonstration. I found the whole thing a very tedious and messy process when finally my dad calmly asked me clean up the area! :shock: :lol:

The insides of a jackfruit have a very gluey substance which one has to fight through to get to the succulent, sweet, ripe segments. To avoid the sticky stuff one has to coat their hands up to the wrists, generously, in oil. Now, you can imagine what colossal effort it would require to finish up!

The eating of the yellow segments was simply delicious. We even roasted the seeds for some amazing snacks!

Kerala (South Indian Recipes for Breadfruit):

Recipe for Breadfruit Masala http://pachakam.com/Recipes/Breadfruit-Masala-1815

Recipe for Breadfruit Fry http://pachakam.com/search-recipe/Recip ... UIT-UPPERI

Recipe for Breadfruit Sambar http://pachakam.com/Recipes/Breadfruit-Sambar-9511
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Dear brihji,
Thank you for breadfruit preparation. I have two Qns though -
1. Where does one get the coconut vinegar ? I mean getting (USA) Apple Cider vinegar itself is a tough job in Mumbai with the Chinese Synthetic White vinegar flooding every regular store. (I typically shop at the grocer's or the Tata Star Bazaar and often settle on USA Red Grape vinegar or not at all)
2. Where does one get breadfruit - star bazaar or my roadside fruit vendors have never heard of breadfruit. (I was almost lucky to get a dragon fruit at Star Bazaar and each fruit cost a pocket burn)
BTW from your recipe I presume we "treat" it just like raw jackfruit or sweet potato, right ?
regs
A.
Hi,

Don't know about the coconut vinegar but I am into Apple Cider Vinegar export business myself......

Regards

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:34 pm

ankur_ank007 wrote:Hi, Don't know about the coconut vinegar but I am into Apple Cider Vinegar export business myself......
Regards
Wow, nice to hear that ankur_ank007 - India is expanding its ingredients! There was a time when Avocado, Olives and Olive Oil (Pomace, to First Press Extra Virgin) were unheard of. :D

Being a vinegar man you will agree that vinegar is usually a very little known, hardly used ingredient in India. It's use is mostly in three areas - Kerala, Goa and Pondicherry (and a little bit in Bengal); and derived from the most grown palms/plants in those specific areas. Historically very important - right?!

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!