Chambal : The land of the Gharial.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Chambal : The land of the Gharial.

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:30 am

Nice, Prashant. Just one question. Skimmers, hence their English name, typically feed by skimming over the surface of the water, lower beak submerged, scooping up insects and small fish. Would surprise me if the Indian variety were differently adapted.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 am

Great photos, Prashant.
It looks like it might have been a very enjoyable trip.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:17 am

Prashantji, thanks for putting the countryside into pictures for us. It helps to understand your words and appreciate the nature!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

TwoRivers wrote:Nice, Prashant. Just one question. Skimmers, hence their English name, typically feed by skimming over the surface of the water, lower beak submerged, scooping up insects and small fish. Would surprise me if the Indian variety were differently adapted.
I guess you are right.
I actually saw one digging into the sand with it's bottom up right next to this flock . Will try and crop that snap n put it here.

This part of the river devides Rajasthan from Madhya Pradesh. The river then flows into Uttar Pradesh and joins the Yamuna.
The silver lining is that the Rajasthan Govt has built a pipe line from their side of the river which supplies water to the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary.

Ashokgodara
That is a magar . You can easily differentiate the two.
The gharial derives its name from the earthen pot "gara". It has that big head with a long snout. The male has a big bulge on the tip of the nose. The moment we entered the river we saw this big male gharial. I took a couple of snaps. They have not come out well since the light was poor. Will put them up as well.

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 am

Lovely Post Prashant ! You have a great style of narration that makes the story come alive :)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:36 am

> Thanks guys for posting those wonderful pictures :D
> Makes one feel to pack one's bags & head for the Chambal!
> I fervently hope that the forest dept / wildlife authorities go all out to preserve this nature's gift to mankind....
Briha

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for posting

Spent a good amount of my life in that part of the country. Still have some property in Gwalier. I met Vijay Raheh Sidhih ( The Queen Mother) when I was 14

Morina, that's where my first driving licence was. And Chambal, that's where I got my first and only Neelgai. With Army's SLR, Funny hah..? Will write more later, those days my friend were .............Mmmmmmm Sweet !!!
Last edited by Hammerhead on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Hello Guy's.

Today, I received few more pictures from Prashant and I am posting these pictures behalf of him.
Prashant will explain to all of you guy's.

Enjoy.
Baljit

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks Baljit
1.Indian Skimmer digging into the sand to look for grub. (left)
2.Female Gharial
3. Male gharial. Check out the big growth at the tip of the nose. That differentiates a male from a female.
4. Chambal revines. This snap was taken on my last trip 3 years ago on a bright day.
5. Shergarh fort.
6.That's my father's snap taken when the bridge was constructed. Sometime in the 1960's. Madhya Pradesh had some great hunting blocks those days. That's his friend and classmate Dr Jagjit Singh from Malaysia.
7.The same overcrowded bridge today.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am

Posting some more pics on behalf of Doc-

Regards
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks Baljit and Pran for putting up the snaps.

1.& 2. Bridge
3. Riverside Camp.

Ancient Hindus considered rivers sacred. Where there were Rivers there was water and where there was water there was life.
Even today a lot of hindus (mostly living in rural areas) throw coins as offerings to the rivers.

Now for the last part of my trip.
If you zoom into the first snap (below that big water tank) , you will see a young boy on a make shift raft. The raft was made out of a truck tyre tube. When our boat was coming back to the camp I saw this boy paddling though with a magnet attached to a long string. On close observation I realised that he was fishing out coins thrown by people crossing the bridge.
When the boat got close to him I said "Paani Me Magar Hai". (There are crocs in the water).
The boy said "I know. But they don't come near the bridge. I have been doing this for a long time".
Hats Off to this little fellow.
I would never dare paddle around on an inflated tube in a Croc infested river.
But then I guess poverty forces one to go beyond and do things one would otherwise never do.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Prashantji, how large do these magars and gharials get? Will the gharials threaten people, as well?

It looks like another bridge is being built next to the first one -- is that right?

Throwing coins in the water has a benefit, at least!

This looks like a great area to explore -- do people float the river, or hike the wildlife areas?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:29 pm

timmy wrote:Prashantji, how large do these magars and gharials get? Will the gharials threaten people, as well?
It looks like another bridge is being built next to the first one -- is that right?
Throwing coins in the water has a benefit, at least!
This looks like a great area to explore -- do people float the river, or hike the wildlife areas?
Yes timmy. That's a new bridge coming up .

If I am in water I would be more scared of the magar than the gharial.

The gharial is basically a fish eater and it's long snout prevents it from eating larger game. Though it can cause much damage (to humans) with its razor sharp teeth and power......If one gets too close to them.
The big male we saw was at least 15 feet . They grow to bigger sizes. A grand uncle of mine shot a gharial way back in the 1950's which is over 16 feet. It is beautifully preserved and I have a snap somewhere sitting next to it. That fellow was shot in the Ganga Khadar.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm

am wondering, with the arid landscape and scanty wildlife, how do such populations of crocs manage to survive? will the river support enough fish flowing thro such unfertile land for the gharials..or have they both survived via scavenging on human and domestic animal carcasses?

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 pm

chengis gun wrote:am wondering, with the arid landscape and scanty wildlife, how do such populations of crocs manage to survive? will the river support enough fish flowing thro such unfertile land
You will be surprised at how fertile the land is. Wherever the revines have been leveled . There are lush green aggricultural field. Tube well irrigation.
There are a number of species of birds and animals and enough fish in the water. Lots of quail, partridge and antelopes. A couple of years ago I heard of a tigress which had strayed out of Ranthambore and reached Chambal.