Rat Tales

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
a_kamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Rat Tales

Post by a_kamal » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Rat Tales reminds me of tale of destruction both direct and indirect but bothways heartbreaking .

This uncle of mine is fond of keeping birds , big cages with parakeets, lovebirds, pheasants , multiple fowl species (including some rare ones like karaknaath, meenarka etc)
The direct attack used to be on the bird feed and there was no respite from it , so he tried poison , one of the empty cage was baited with tasty titbits with lethal rat poison , by some uncanny quirk the coots mangaed to transport this titbits to pheasants and one beautfull silver and one reeves went down , adding insult was that rats seemed to relish this rat poison and flourish , these two dead birds were sent to me and i went over to hear the sad tale told above,

i suggested using traps to which he retorted that these fellows big as raabbits take the trap with them and do not fit-in the other type (mouse trap).

I had earlier advised him to use a air rifle but he was aprehensive about recocheting pellets hitting the birds, however this was the day nothing worse could happen so one of my air-rifles was put to action and result so impressed him that now every time i meet him he has some interesting tales where he has upper hand on the coots with an IHP .177

I totally agree with skeetshot on the appearance of pack is quite a sight enough to shake the staunchest buffalo hunter :) ,

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm

i just do not know what all the fuse is about ratus demestcus etc, guns to kill rats???,
nay bhai just employ couple of nagas, and your rat problems will be over,
and open a dhuba which servers ratusbambooshoots, ratuschilleus, rosted toasted fryed backed grilled BBQ ed just like the local chicken.

what more can a man ask for?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Hahaha ...Well said Nagarifle bro :) would love to come to Nagaland and taste these delicacies :)
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

arayuru_rt
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by arayuru_rt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 pm

a_kamal wrote:Rat Tales reminds me of tale of destruction both direct and indirect but bothways heartbreaking .

I had earlier advised him to use a air rifle but he was aprehensive about recocheting pellets hitting the birds, however this was the day nothing worse could happen so one of my air-rifles was put to action and result so impressed him that now every time i meet him he has some interesting tales where he has upper hand on the coots with an IHP .177 ,
Hi Kamal, we are suffering a lot with the rats. They are digging out all the mud near the basement of our house and making the ground hollow. They are not eating the rat poison and they are too big to get caught in a mouse trap. Your idea of killing rats with guns sounds good. But I have a few questions about these guns. I dont know any thing about the guns. Could you please provide me the below information?

1) Where can we buy these guns?

2) Can anybody buy these guns or do we need to get any permission or licence kind of thing to use them?

3) What kind of bullets used in them? Will they create loud sound? Are they harmful?

Thanks,
Ravi

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

get few nagas or failing that few street cats would take care of the rats
Nagarifle

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm

How could I miss this thread !!

Thank you Skeetshot for a wonderful story.

Friends,

Kolkata, thanks to its vast sewers, water supply lines, electricity supply network and piped cooking gas in some parts, all made during the British era and later followed by enormous amount of digging (unplanned on many occasions) for the country's first Metro Railway project that started in the 70s and continues to this day for widening the railway network and have been followed by further digging by telecom companies, have made rats build, rebuild and migrate from one corner of the city to the other. And, over the years they have increased in size and numbers posing threat to only only people but also buildings and structures.

Examples:
Dhakuria bridge, a 50 year old railway flyover (a five minute walk from my home )that serves as the principal road link between two parts of South Kolkata, is facing threat from rats that have dug burrows, critically weakening the concrete foundation. The government is running from pillar to post for a solution to the rat menace. If the bridge is not repaired immediately it could lead to one of the most horrible disasters we have seen. Not only does the bridge carry heavy traffic round the clock, it also stands above hundreds of shanties where poor people have been living for ages.

Rats in Kolkata get into houses, highrises, government buildings, old offices and of course markets in search of food and shelter. While they spread disease and pose threat to children they also regularly nibble at dead bodies in police morgues and mortuaries in government hospitals. The more desperate ones have even attacked patients in government hospitals. Here is an example of what they did at SSKM Hospital, the premier super specialty government hospital and medical college in West Bengal.

Man dies after his p*n*s is bitten off by rats while in hospital

By Anna Edwards
UPDATED: 18:56 GMT, 31 December 2011
Daily Mail, UK

A patient died in hospital after his p*n*s was allegedly nibbled by rats.
Arun Sandhukha, 53, from Sreerampore in Hooghly, was admitted to the new emergency ward of the at the SSKM Hospital in Kolkata, West Bengal on December 11 with pneumonia. But on December 23, when his family came to visit him, he was lying on the bed in agony, surrounded by pool of his own blood, the Asian Age newspaper reported. The relatives of the man claim rats bit his p*n*s while he was in hospital. 'No nurse was found at the scene and he was writhing in pain. His p*n*s had been nibbled by rats,' one of his relatives Bishwanath alleged to the newspaper. Later that day, at around 4.15pm, Mr Sadhukha died of his horrific injuries. The hospital authorities have admitted the presence of rats at the ward, Bishwanath claimed.

There are millions of stories and, with me the Kolkata rats have tried all their tricks. I tried poison, traps and air rifles. But success rate was minimal. On one occasion I trapped a rat in a room on the third floor of my house ( :evil: the room where I keep most of my STUFF while I live on the first floor) and tried shooting it. I missed and it ran from one corner to the next. Finally I had no option but to spike it with a goopti (a 50 buck sword cane I bought from a village fair while in school) through a tiny gap from where I could see a part of its body. I stabbed it seven or eight times but the monster wouldn't die. It kept crying at the top of its voice even as I kept it pinned to the ground. Made of soft steel, the tip of the spike got twisted into a question mark. Finally, after 15 minutes of spiking, or jabbing you could say by now, it was all quiet on the home front. I tossed it in an alley where I knew his mates were waiting. They ran towards the copse to perform the last rites. But by then I had loaded two springers. One got shot and fell. But I missed the other as usual.

The war continues. These days I am practicing hard with a pistol crossbow Santa Claus gave me on Christmas and also planning to buy some real hardware
You wanna fight you little rascals ?... you wanna fight me eh ? ... c'mon I gonna give you a war :mrgreen:

Sincerely yours
TC

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi TC DA
Thats one hell of a story.Try baiting them with fried snacks like samosa, puri, or you can try bidesi idea using peanut butter which i share with my game. The best product would be dried fish if available, know it stinks but you cant beat it. Got around 30 of those critters with IHP. Good luck TC Da & hoping to hear the story in your favour next time.
Regards Moulindu

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:09 am

do not try cheese but try grease/ fatty meat. rats love em, put rat poison in some and leave some for practice with rat gun. lol
Nagarifle

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:32 am

Has anyone tried shooting a shotgun INSIDE the coot's burrow?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:02 am

no good as the rat holes have ups and downs and bends. try smoking em out. the best way would be to get a license to smoke chars as your religious duty and puff the smoke down the rats hole. then play the flute and they will come dancing out into your cage which i hope you made before hand
Nagarifle

a_kamal
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by a_kamal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 pm

HI Ravi,

As you see from the stories , if your area is infested with rats and there are places other the rats can populate ,then it is lifetime problem nothing can fully stop them
but if the problem is specific to your house an AR is the best answer ,

1)Where can we buy these guns?
you can buy an air rifle in any gunhouse in your city
2) Can anybody buy these guns or do we need to get any permission or licence kind of thing to use them?
As of now any one can buy a airrifle , no licence required .
3) What kind of bullets used in them? Will they create loud sound? Are they harmful?
Lead or alloy pellets are used , noise is there though not loud , yes they are harmfull (they will kill rats) and can cause to humans sufficient damage even on richochetting so use a .177 AR which uses smaller pellet, shoot from a safe difference , never shoot over the boudary or fence ,never shoot towards any opening DOOR ,WINDOW, never shoot in a corner of floor or cieling unless the background can absorb the pellet, never keep the airgun loaded , never point the muzzle on aything living (pets), never keep the pellets in mouth etc etc.

For rats in home best time is night , use a torch , bait a safe area where they will converge and then practice your skill.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:42 pm

moulindu wrote:Hi TC DA
Thats one hell of a story.Try baiting them with fried snacks like samosa, puri, or you can try bidesi idea using peanut butter which i share with my game. The best product would be dried fish if available, know it stinks but you cant beat it. Got around 30 of those critters with IHP. Good luck TC Da & hoping to hear the story in your favour next time.
Regards Moulindu
nagarifle wrote:do not try cheese but try grease/ fatty meat. rats love em, put rat poison in some and leave some for practice with rat gun. lol
Thanks Moulindi and Naga.

I have tried deep fried snacks with some success in the past. But the dried fish and greasy meat sounds nice because I myself love Bombay Ducks (the dried fish you see at the fisherman's villages in Mumbai). These are easily available in packets at superstores here. Not very expensive too. Will try them the next time. Fact is, having stuck to handguns all my life I don't feel comfortable (feel free to call me lazy and old :D ) with cocking and loading and pumping spring and pneumatic air rifles/pistols. PCPs and Co2s with magazines have made their entry into India only in recent years and I don't own one yet. A few years ago, out of sheer desperation, I downed more than a dozen big rodents with .22 shorts using a pump action Winchester in the backyard of my family's country home where we store food grain. Had a blast all day actually. But you can't do that in a city and amid such built up habitation areas. ITS DANGEROUS AND NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL. Moreover, I can't even kill too many at a time because the only way to dispose the bodies is to feed the cats and crows and wait for the municipality garbage vans to arrive the next morning and take away the rest of the mess. If it doesn't come, you are stuck with a bag full of foul smelling dead rodents and your wife screaming inside your ears :lol:

Cheers

TC
Last edited by TC on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

TC open a road side dhuba, cook rats as underground[subtrainian] chicken, add some Tabasco sauce. get income from the paskey rats, is what i say.lol
Nagarifle

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Lovely "Shikaar" stories skeetshot and TC.
You guys have made this thread truly enjoyable. :D

arayuru_rt
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by arayuru_rt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 pm

a_kamal wrote:HI Ravi,

As you see from the stories , if your area is infested with rats and there are places other the rats can populate ,then it is lifetime problem nothing can fully stop them
but if the problem is specific to your house an AR is the best answer ,

1)Where can we buy these guns?
you can buy an air rifle in any gunhouse in your city
As of now any one can buy a airrifle , no licence required .
Lead or alloy pellets are used , noise is there though not loud , yes they are harmfull (they will kill rats) and can cause to humans sufficient damage even on richochetting so use a .177 AR which uses smaller pellet, shoot from a safe difference , never shoot over the boudary or fence ,never shoot towards any opening DOOR ,WINDOW, never shoot in a corner of floor or cieling unless the background can absorb the pellet, never keep the airgun loaded , never point the muzzle on aything living (pets), never keep the pellets in mouth etc etc.

For rats in home best time is night , use a torch , bait a safe area where they will converge and then practice your skill.
Thank you very much Kamal for the reply. Two more doubts I have.
1) Can we buy the bullets or pellets also from those gunhouses?

2) Is there a rifle which has night vision? In youtube I saw a video and in that, the guy was killing the rats with ease using the night vision and the target point + symbol (I dont know what they call it in guns terminology :) ). So could you please tell a model name with that facility? Also the rifle should be able to reach a target of atleast 40-50 feet.

Thanks a lot,
Ravi.