Rat Tales

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Rat Tales

Post by skeetshot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Growing up in Bombay during the 50s, one couldn't help getting astonished by the enormous Bandicoot rats (Bandicota bengalensis) that would run all over the garbage dumps, streets and enter houses, even flats as high as 10 ten stories up.

Finally when I was old enough, my Dad presented me an ISW air rifle, which opened a new relationship with this aggressive rodent.

Nearby there was a small godown where wheat used to be stored in a small room. it had no windows and only one door as the entrance. This room always was full of these huge rats which would run in and out all the time.

I took my trusty air rifle and stood at the door, and in a short time had three of these giant rodents down.

Now, rats are intelligent creatures and once they realised what was happening, the whole horde rushed at me emitting their pig like grunts as they tried to escape to the daylight beyond.

With their large incisors, reputation for carrying all kinds of disease, and their bristly black hair and beady eyes, it was a sight to alarm even the most experienced buffalo hunter of Africa.

As the horde rushed by me, I lifted my foot and trapped the tail of one large leader and brought the barrel of my air rifle down to pump a pellet into its stinking belly.

The rat immediately grabbed the muzzle and tried to bite the barrel with such ferocity while emitting its pig like grunt, that I got startled and must have reduced the pressure of my foot on its tail, for in an instant it freed itself and was off to freedom !!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Rat Tales

Post by StampMaster » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm

:) the problem lies here too.

I have been accommodated in a flat where there is frequent visits of bandicoots in my room.

I have just thinking of doing the same frenzy act. However, i have all my armory back at home.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

skeetshot wrote:Now, rats are intelligent creatures and once they realised what was happening, the whole horde rushed at me emitting their pig like grunts as they tried to escape to the daylight beyond.

This would be quite handy in such a situation! ROTFL

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

skeetshot wrote:With their large incisors, reputation for carrying all kinds of disease, and their bristly black hair and beady eyes, it was a sight to alarm even the most experienced buffalo hunter of Africa.
Wow! Good story, skeet shot. Sounds like you need to borrow one of Buckstix's rifles, the next time you venture in there!

505 Gibbs would be just about right for one of them.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm

timmy wrote:
skeetshot wrote:With their large incisors, reputation for carrying all kinds of disease, and their bristly black hair and beady eyes, it was a sight to alarm even the most experienced buffalo hunter of Africa.
Wow! Good story, skeet shot. Sounds like you need to borrow one of Buckstix's rifles, the next time you venture in there!

505 Gibbs would be just about right for one of them.
And having one mounted like this would be a fitting finale to it. :wink: What say,Timmy?

Photo from here

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:41 am

I confess, Vikram, I hate rats! The Norwegian ones grow pretty big here, but those bandicoots in India look like monsters!

If one was mounted, I suppose it would be useful to give to someone that you weren't fond of! :-)
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

> Basically there are 2 varieties of bandicoots...
1.Bandicoota Bengalences
2.Bandicoota Norwigica
> The first one is native to India
> The second one is a traveler - mostly migrate through ship-holds worldwide
> The interesting part is that their teeth grow almost 1cms every month - hence they keep gnawing things to keep them in shape & size thereby causing extensive damage where-ever they are present...
> The Bandicoot is a giant rat of southern Asia and can be up to 40cms long, including the tail. Bandicoots pose a significant health risk to humans. The spread of many common diseases, such as Salmonella, Weil’s disease, E.coli and TB, is attributed to Bandicoots. They also carry fleas, mites and ticks and can cause acute allergic reactions.

Potential Harm:
Bandicoot rats are known to spread infections such as Salmonella, Hantavirus and Leptospirosis
Damage to stock and buildings. rodents sharp teeth can gnaw through cables, plastic, wooden doors and even mild steel.
Warehouses and silos may subside or collapse as a result of being undermined by the burrowing activities of these rodents
Contamination of foodstuffs and goods.
On the rodents underside, wet fur soaked in urine can transmit diseases to work surfaces, table tops or anywhere the rodent has climbed.
> Another interesting fact is that whenever a dominant male tries to take over a territory by challenging an older male - the females who are pregnant abort in front of them to show their obeisance to their new master!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
> The best way to get rid of them is to use a Rodenticide that contains the chemical "Bromodioline"....
It is odorless & safe to poultry, cattle & human beings....
It comes in the form of tiny cakes made of cereal & edible wax & when consumed by the rodent causes heavy intestinal bleeding leading to its death.... this takes place within 48hrs of the rodent eating it...
Another interesting fact is that the rodent becomes excessively thirsty & comes out its burrough into the open in search of water & dies - hence no foul smell emanates from its carcass that may be hidden in un-reachable places...
> The above authentic information is what I received from attending a seminar on rodent control as part of my training in marketing the product for a MNC company dealing with Crop Protection Chemicals :D
> Shown below are damages done to electrical installations...

skeetshot
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by skeetshot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am

rat.jpg
Thank you for the information, Brihacharan, quite a troublesome rodent this is.

Of course the only honorable way to dispose of this menace is with lead, preferably at 1000+ fps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:01 pm

skeetshot wrote:
rat.jpg
Thank you for the information, Brihacharan, quite a troublesome rodent this is.

Of course the only honorable way to dispose of this menace is with lead, preferably at 1000+ fps.

> Yes! Very troublesome & destructive...
> 15gr Roundheads at 30ft is truly devastating!!!
Briha

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 pm

brihacharan wrote:> Basically there are 2 varieties of bandicoots...
1.Bandicoota Bengalences
2.Bandicoota Norwigica
> The first one is native to India
> The second one is a traveler - mostly migrate through ship-holds worldwide
> The interesting part is that their teeth grow almost 1cms every month - hence they keep gnawing things to keep them in shape & size thereby causing extensive damage where-ever they are present...
> The Bandicoot is a giant rat of southern Asia and can be up to 40cms long, including the tail. Bandicoots pose a significant health risk to humans. The spread of many common diseases, such as Salmonella, Weil’s disease, E.coli and TB, is attributed to Bandicoots. They also carry fleas, mites and ticks and can cause acute allergic reactions.

Potential Harm:
Bandicoot rats are known to spread infections such as Salmonella, Hantavirus and Leptospirosis
Damage to stock and buildings. rodents sharp teeth can gnaw through cables, plastic, wooden doors and even mild steel.
Warehouses and silos may subside or collapse as a result of being undermined by the burrowing activities of these rodents
Contamination of foodstuffs and goods.
On the rodents underside, wet fur soaked in urine can transmit diseases to work surfaces, table tops or anywhere the rodent has climbed.
> Another interesting fact is that whenever a dominant male tries to take over a territory by challenging an older male - the females who are pregnant abort in front of them to show their obeisance to their new master!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
> The best way to get rid of them is to use a Rodenticide that contains the chemical "Bromodioline"....
It is odorless & safe to poultry, cattle & human beings....
It comes in the form of tiny cakes made of cereal & edible wax & when consumed by the rodent causes heavy intestinal bleeding leading to its death.... this takes place within 48hrs of the rodent eating it...
Another interesting fact is that the rodent becomes excessively thirsty & comes out its burrough into the open in search of water & dies - hence no foul smell emanates from its carcass that may be hidden in un-reachable places...
> The above authentic information is what I received from attending a seminar on rodent control as part of my training in marketing the product for a MNC company dealing with Crop Protection Chemicals :D
> Shown below are damages done to electrical installations...

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
the two varieties of bandicoots are Bandicota bengalensis and Bandicota indica. There is no such Bandicota norwagica. You are probably referring to Rattus norwagicus which is the brown rat or the norway rat.
regs
sudhaiob

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 pm

sudhaiob wrote: The two varieties of bandicoots are Bandicota bengalensis and Bandicota indica. There is no such Bandicota norwagica. You are probably referring to Rattus norwagicus which is the brown rat or the norway rat.
regs
sudhaiob
> Sorry - Spelling error (Norwegica / Norwegicus)
> The Bandicota Indica is a wild species normally found in agricultural fields, whereas Bandicoota Bengalensis foray into human habitation...
> The Irula Tribes of Southern India catch them by smoking them out of their burrows in the fields & barbecue them for consumption..... :roll:
> Bandicoots are basically terrestrial and are not climbers like the Ratus-Ratus the ones with long tails (almost twice their body length) which can climb and are found even in high-rise buildings.
> Nonetheless these rodents are dangerous pests that cause destruction to crops & property & also spread diseases.
Briha

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Mumbai is still to come over these monsters who climb up stories and cause a menace . We had some relief in 2005 when there was flooding and a snake had been carried in the building complex along with the flowing water. It consumed a good lot of them.
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

I, for once, am happy with three mongooses (I hope I have the plural correct!) that have the run of my home - no rats, bandicoots or whatever!
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 pm

brihacharan wrote:Rodenticide Bromodioline
The coot stocks food in it's burrows and doesn't eat it immediately, so the destruction continues until that piece of poisoned wax cake is consumed.

I've tried them, placed them near their burrows and they disappeared
by the next morning, but the infestation continues strong.

brihacharan wrote:The Irula Tribes of Southern India catch them by smoking them out of their burrows in the fields ...
Now, that's something that I'd really like to know.
I had asked this question before but in vain.

My house compound is infested with them.

The bandicoot's burrows normally has 2 to 3 openings. How does one smoke them out in an urban setting?
I've thought of hiring a fumigator to try smoke the buggers out. Any other simpler ideas?

I've put away my airgun now, and have brought out the 12 bore, you think a shot inside the burrow will do the trick (I'm that fed up)?

Are there any other tried and tested ways to trap these persistent vermin? I've tried gum traps, but they always seem to get away, all you have the next morning is a sand covered gum trap lying near the burrow opening!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Collect hay, paper , some coal chips and any waste paper you can lay your hands on and just make balls . Light them up and stuff them in the holes. First do a recce of all the holes which could be possible signs of an escape route which they always make.
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj