Rat Tales

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Rat Tales

Post by TC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 am

I must mention here that I shoot mostly in the dead of the night at around 3.30am to 4.30am. I have shot at other times too but over the years have found these times to be the most silent and most productive as related to bag sizes.
More later....... Need to take a small trip around the compound now. Writing all this has made me want to shoot one just now.
Fingers itching.... Hope to make my pellet count.
Thanks Monty,
You are a true rat hunter :D

:cheers:

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 am

If you shut off the flashlight and waited, they would begin scurrying around in a few minutes and you could start all over again.
XL,
I remembered you saying this to me once. So I taped a maglite to a springer and had some success :D

But I still think in order to win this war our army should be armed with night vision goggles, thermal imagers, movement sensors and semi auto weapons ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

TC

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Well reading all this has inspired me to stay up the night and try my hand at shooting moving targets in the night going to give it a shot ( literally ) tonight :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 pm

nevil wrote:Well reading all this has inspired me to stay up the night and try my hand at shooting moving targets in the night going to give it a shot ( literally ) tonight :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Wake up Nevil... its morning !! How many did you get ? :D

:cheers:

TC

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi TC I think someone ratted :D on me the monsters never came out till 12.30 could not keep my eye open after that will update as I make my second kill
regards
Nevil

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:56 am

Update Gang....

Just got 2.

Happy Ratting.....

and shoot a few crows too... When you have the time.
Monish

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 am

monty3006 wrote:Update Gang....

Just got 2.

Happy Ratting.....

Monty, shooting crows is prohibited and punishable under Animal Protection Act. It is a scavenger bird. Also, please abide by forum rules.

TC

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 pm

TC wrote:

Just got 2.

Happy Ratting.....

Monty, shooting crows is prohibited and punishable under Animal Protection Act. It is a scavenger bird. Also, please abide by forum rules.

TC
Don't think crows are protected. But I agree - it's a scavenger bird and clears out a ton of garbage every day in Mumbai, including dead rats. Plus what will our dear ancestors say ... :-)

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 pm

TC wrote:

Just got 2.

Happy Ratting.....

TC

Well TC da... :oops:

As per
WILD LIFE (PROTECTION) ACT, 1972 you can only kill animals/ bird included under
SCHEDULE V and that includes
(Sections 2, 8, 61 and 62) 1.
Common crow
2{2. •••]
3. Fruit bats
2[4. ••*]
5. Mice
6. Rats \7. •••]
1 Inserted vide Noti. No. 1-4/95, dt. 5-12-2001 & corrected vide corrigendum Noti. No. 1-
4/95/WL-l, dt. 19-2-2002.
2 Vide Notification No. FJ 11012/31 /76 FRY(WL), dt. 5-10-1977

Regards,

Nishith

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Nishith,
Just saw your post and checked the laws. You are right indeed. There is no law against killing crows.
Someone told me long time ago that crows are protected and it remained in my hard disc. Will delete the data right away:lol:

As a city dweller however I personally see no good reason to kill a crow. The poor bird lives on garbage we spill on city roads, and animal carcass dumped in the open near municipal areas. Its very conscious of personal hygiene and takes bath at regular intervals. Doesn't spread disease like rats or destroy harvest. And, we don't even eat crow meat. So why kill the crows until they get inspired by Alfred Hitchcock ? :lol:
My view entirely.

This thread however sticks to Rats :lol:

Cheers

TC

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Could not find anything better.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm

veejosh wrote:

Could not find anything better.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Good one veejosh .... that's a Red Ryder BB rifle by the way... part of childhood nostalgia for many in the US

TC

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 pm

surefire way to attract rats, for trapping or as poison bait, is to use 1.Dried, rotten fish, slightly singed in fire( usu sukan mas or sidol) or 2.Dip whatever in beer/alcohol.They will come sniffing from way off..

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:06 pm

chengis gun wrote:surefire way to attract rats, for trapping or as poison bait, is to use 1.Dried, rotten fish, slightly singed in fire( usu sukan mas or sidol) or 2.Dip whatever in beer/alcohol.They will come sniffing from way off..
That sounds like a bait for a buddy of mine!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Friends,

Let me share my latest encounter with one of the monsters in my backyard. On Thursday morning, shortly before entering the Puja room, the religious and always righteous lady of the house had distributed some leftovers in the alley adjacent to the boundary wall of the house for the "poor" cats and birds. This is a ritual we are all used to and I follow the food trails close to the underground drainage lines whenever I can from one of the ground floor windows that open into this particular part of the property. This time however I was absent minded... completely oblivious of the fact that I had taken my entire armory to the third floor for cleaning the day before. Reason, some people don't like the smell of gun oil and ballistol and the sight of torn oil-soaked patches scattered all over the floor and a man wiping his hands in clean hand towels instead of going for the soap dispenser first :lol:
So there I was, puffing away casually and staring through the window with no particular idea or plan of immediate action. I had to get ready and leave for office; that possibly was the only thought.
And then it happened. I looked down and there he was - looking straight into my eyes and casually munching into a piece of roti four times as big as his head. I moved, it did not. He sat there, confident and self assured. I started fuming, cursing myself for moving away all the stuff and trying to calculate how much time it would take to run up the stairs, call my mother to open the gate, get an AR, rush down and reach for the box of pellets..... "No, it won't work", I said to myself, "you nurture a pot belly and a perpetual back ache. You are not fast and fitness if not you middle name. Admit it. He is barely seven feet way, showing off his shiny coat and having lunch. And you can't do a thing. Tomorrow he will come again and enter your house, the way his family did last month."
And then something struck me. I have the pistol crossbow lying in the drawing room, hidden away from prying eyes. Suddenly energized, I rushed and came back like a lightning, the weapon cocked and a bolt in place... I inched closer to my kill. The monster looked at me... eyed the 80 lbs crossbow and kept eating. Now that's an insult, I said, and took aim. His head looked a huge as an apple from that distance. I was about to squeeze the trigger when I heard an oracle... "Darling are you trying to to take a life when I am performing puja?"
"No I am not" I lied without batting my eyelids. I always do in these situations. My life is precious to me :mrgreen:
The monster kept sitting there, now grinning at me.. ridiculing me ...
I tiptoed back to my den... hid the crossbow and this time, returned with the camera.
The monster was still there....