Rat Tales

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Rat Tales

Post by kalashnikovcult » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Now thats a Kodak Click ! Sirji which pistol crossbow do you have ?
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Very well written little story, TC.
I enjoyed it tremendously.
Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Nice one TC :D :D :D :D
It is believed that for every human living in a town there is 1 rat.
I have never had a rat problem in my house.
Our pet dogs would (and still do) take care of them.
My grand mother never allowed me to kill them.
After all they were lord Ganesha's vahan.

There is one story I do recall .
The best Rat killer amongst our dogs was "Silky". A mix of a pomeranian and God knows what. She was a small little thing but a fantastic hunter. One day I saw her sniffing and yelping away around an old wooden cupboard. I must have been in my early teens then. I walked up to the cupboard and opened it. Almost immediately a small little mouse jumped out.As a reflex action. I quickly moved out of it's way. As luck would have it. It landed straight in Silky's open jaws. Two bites and it was dead.
It was my job thereafter to pick up the wreched little dead fellow and through it out of the house.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 am

TC wrote:Friends,

Let me share my latest encounter with one of the monsters in my backyard. On Thursday morning, shortly before entering the Puja room, the religious and always righteous lady of the house had distributed some leftovers in the alley adjacent to the boundary wall of the house for the "poor" cats and birds. This is a ritual we are all used to and I follow the food trails close to the underground drainage lines whenever I can from one of the ground floor windows that open into this particular part of the property. This time however I was absent minded... completely oblivious of the fact that I had taken my entire armory to the third floor for cleaning the day before. Reason, some people don't like the smell of gun oil and ballistol and the sight of torn oil-soaked patches scattered all over the floor and a man wiping his hands in clean hand towels instead of going for the soap dispenser first :lol:
So there I was, puffing away casually and staring through the window with no particular idea or plan of immediate action. I had to get ready and leave for office; that possibly was the only thought.
And then it happened. I looked down and there he was - looking straight into my eyes and casually munching into a piece of roti four times as big as his head. I moved, it did not. He sat there, confident and self assured. I started fuming, cursing myself for moving away all the stuff and trying to calculate how much time it would take to run up the stairs, call my mother to open the gate, get an AR, rush down and reach for the box of pellets..... "No, it won't work", I said to myself, "you nurture a pot belly and a perpetual back ache. You are not fast and fitness if not you middle name. Admit it. He is barely seven feet way, showing off his shiny coat and having lunch. And you can't do a thing. Tomorrow he will come again and enter your house, the way his family did last month."
And then something struck me. I have the pistol crossbow lying in the drawing room, hidden away from prying eyes. Suddenly energized, I rushed and came back like a lightning, the weapon cocked and a bolt in place... I inched closer to my kill. The monster looked at me... eyed the 80 lbs crossbow and kept eating. Now that's an insult, I said, and took aim. His head looked a huge as an apple from that distance. I was about to squeeze the trigger when I heard an oracle... "Darling are you trying to to take a life when I am performing puja?"
"No I am not" I lied without batting my eyelids. I always do in these situations. My life is precious to me :mrgreen:
The monster kept sitting there, now grinning at me.. ridiculing me ...
I tiptoed back to my den... hid the crossbow and this time, returned with the camera.
The monster was still there....
[ Image ]
TC wrote:
I was about to squeeze the trigger when I heard an oracle... "Darling are you trying to to take a life when I am performing puja?"
"No I am not" I lied without batting my eyelids. I always do in these situations. My life is precious to me :mrgreen:

> TC - You should have replied - "Darling, please add a prayer to the soon departed soul" :D
> After that dispatched the critter to his happy hunting grounds :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am

kalashnikovcult wrote:Now thats a Kodak Click ! Sirji which pistol crossbow do you have ?
Thanks kalashnikovcult. The pic did come out nice. Oh its not a very expensive crossbow. I bought it from G Smith for about 5k. But is darn accurate and powerful upto 40 feet with the fibre bolts. With the heavier aluminum bolts you can go upto to 60 feet.

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

xl_target wrote:Very well written little story, TC.
I enjoyed it tremendously.
Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning.
Thank you so much XL. Your post put a big smile on my face too :D :D

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am

prashantsingh wrote:Nice one TC :D :D :D :D
It is believed that for every human living in a town there is 1 rat.
I have never had a rat problem in my house.
Our pet dogs would (and still do) take care of them.
My grand mother never allowed me to kill them.
After all they were lord Ganesha's vahan.

There is one story I do recall .
The best Rat killer amongst our dogs was "Silky". A mix of a pomeranian and God knows what. She was a small little thing but a fantastic hunter. One day I saw her sniffing and yelping away around an old wooden cupboard. I must have been in my early teens then. I walked up to the cupboard and opened it. Almost immediately a small little mouse jumped out.As a reflex action. I quickly moved out of it's way. As luck would have it. It landed straight in Silky's open jaws. Two bites and it was dead.
It was my job thereafter to pick up the wreched little dead fellow and through it out of the house.
Lovely story Prashant. Thanks for sharing. I am sure you could share more stories of Silky with us. She must have been an angel :D Wish I had her now :(

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:30 am

> TC - You should have replied - "Darling, please add a prayer to the soon departed soul" :D
> After that dispatched the critter to his happy hunting grounds :D
Briha
Brihaji,
The lady happens to be the most accurate lie detecting machine 8)
And also the most dreaded prosecutor for those who violate her rules 8) 8)

I never dare to push my luck :lol: :lol: :lol:

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

TC wrote....
Brihaji,
The lady happens to be the most accurate lie detecting machine 8)
And also the most dreaded prosecutor for those who violate her rules 8) 8)
I never dare to push my luck :lol: :lol: :lol:
TC

> That "Rumbustious Rodent" must be counting his blessings...more rotis from the benevolent lady :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:47 pm

brihacharan wrote:
> That "Rumbustious Rodent" must be counting his blessings...more rotis from the benevolent lady :D
Briha

Brihaji.... he sure is :lol: :lol:

TC

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 am

That's a funny story indeed, TC. thanks for sharing.