Camera's and accessories.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Camera's and accessories.

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:27 am

Friends,
it would be nice if you all can share your camera's and accessories with us.Also please chip in some information about techniques,so we can learn from your experience.
regards
dr.jk

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: Camera's and accessories.

Post by Moin. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:33 am

Dr.Saab, A Nikon D90 with a 50mm 1.8 Prime lense. learning the ropes...

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Dr JK ji,
I have a Canon 550D, canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 macro, canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, ring flash adapter from apurture, tripod from sony, monopod from vanguard.
Planning to buy wide angle lens and upgrade my tripod.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

Moin. wrote:Dr.Saab, A Nikon D90 with a 50mm 1.8 Prime lense. learning the ropes...

Regards
Moin.
Moin and Ramdeep pictures of your camera please.
Moin,is D90 heavy to carry on trek?tell me about your experience with this camera,have you got pics which you think is awesome and why.
Ramdeep share your lenses with us.
regards
dr.jk

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Doc,
> You have touched upon a subject on which volumes can be written & discussed :D
> Primarily equipment depends on the type & nature of photography one wishes to indulge in....
> At the outset & in my considered opinion you should exchange notes with our fellow IFGian "Aftab" - whose work appears to be that of a professional...
> Of late I find that the new CANON EOS110 with attachments seems quite adequate for the kind of photography you have in mind - pl check this out on google with regard to its specs etc.
> Equipment apart - It's the image you capture to tell a story that's more important... because I've seen people with less sophisticated equipment capture images that's beyond description (meaning, the framing, exposure, the ideal moment / position of the subject etc)
> As the old saying goes - A good picture is worth more than a 1000 words :D
Best luck....
Briha

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:21 am

Canon 7D with
18-55
18-135
55-250
100, 2.8 macro
70-200, 2.8 L
580 EX2 Speedlite

Also a Canon 400D... !

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:04 am

dr.jayakumar wrote: Ramdeep share your lenses with us.
regards
dr.jk

I am here by posting picture of my shooting gear, forgot to mention earlier I also own a canon EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens which is I would not exactly say is a professional lens but I have taken some good pictures with it although since i got canon 100-400mm lens I have hardly used it. Right now canon 100-400 is on a loan to a friend apart from that I am posting picture of my entire gear. Have lined up few travel plans post Diwali to visit wildlife sanctuaries as they are now opening up for tourists and make good use of my canon 100-400 would be sharing pictures of that may be later this year.

Regards

Raman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ramandeep on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 shot 1 kill!

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:08 am

brihacharan wrote: > Equipment apart - It's the image you capture to tell a story that's more important... because I've seen people with less sophisticated equipment capture images that's beyond description (meaning, the framing, exposure, the ideal moment / position of the subject etc)
> As the old saying goes - A good picture is worth more than a 1000 words :D
a
Briha ji you are right in saying that but in last 25 years by the introduction of DSLRs and photo editing softwares the dynamics of the photography market has changed not only it has grown more than 100 folds in that period but have given chance to amateur or hobbyist photographer to take some of the most amazing photos. But definitely one has to have an eye for it too.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 am

Ramndeep nice camera.Is your sigma 150-400 sufficient for wildlife trek?
i still remember, during early 80's i owned a yashica 35mm film camera,it was so difficult to get wildlife pictures,all i could use it was for group snaps!!
olly,can you share your experience with your canons?
does anyone have nikkor600mm?
regards
dr.jk

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:13 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote: Ramndeep nice camera.Is your sigma 150-400 sufficient for wildlife trek?
i still remember, during early 80's i owned a yashica 35mm film camera,it was so difficult to get wildlife pictures,all i could use it was for group snaps!!
olly,can you share your experience with your canons?
does anyone have nikkor600mm?
regards
dr.jk
Is your sigma 150-400 sufficient for wildlife trek?

Doc,
> This is a tricky question....
> Remember that longer the focal length of the lens the more difficult it is to keep your camera steady for a perfect blur free picture...
> Secondly longer the focal length one has to confront aperture limitations to get the right exposure...
> Hence you need a tripod strong enough to steady your camera...
> Unless you are in a hideout confined within for hours for your subject to appear - most wildlife shots are taken on the spur of the moment - wildlife do not offer the time to compose, focus, adjust etc & shoot....
> This is my personal experience - others may have a different opinion.....
> In my considered opinion a 150 / 400 is sufficient - however a 2x multiplier attachment will make it 300 / 800 which is adequete, while at the same time both the camera & lens are manageable.
> In case you cannot lug around a Tripod for some reason - Carry a bag-rest (a cloth bag 12" x 8" filled with sand or beans) on which you can rest your camera to avoid any shake.
> BTW - I'm a Life Member of the Photography Society of India & have attended seveal lec-dems by renowned wildlife photographers & also at the Bombay Natural History Society....
> Some of the photos of wildlife we see, admire & drool over were taken by photographers who have exposed several frames to get that "One Picture" and after having waited at a water hole, bush or treetop for days together.....
Cheers
Briha

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:47 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:Ramndeep nice camera.Is your sigma 150-400 sufficient for wildlife trek?
Dr Jk ji my sigma 150mm is a macro lens my 100-400 canon is the telephoto zoom which i use for wildlife photography. It's actually a tricky question to answer that is 100-400mm lens sufficient for wildlife trek the whole thing in wildlife photography is the element of unpredictability one never knows how the the animal or bird might behave what distance might be sufficient for a perfect shot. The best shot is generally a close up profile of the subject and with higher focal length one can take pictures from a distance but for a good profile shot the aperture needs to be low or else the surrounding would also get in the focus and spoil the profile shot.
Brihaji very told about the extender which increases the focal length but it would also increase the aperture and definitely a good rest comes very handy for photography and it can double up as gun rest also. A friend who is into serious bird photography uses super telephoto canon lens with fixed focal length of 300mm and a low aperture of 2.8 in which sometimes he uses 2x extender which multiplies the focal length to 600mm and maximum aperture is 5.8 which is still decent for a good photography and he justifies that telephoto zoom are not that good for serious wildlife photography as the aperture changes with the focal length and anyways one never really gets very close to the subject in wildlife photography as either it would scare them or be dangerous to the photographer. By the end of the it's totally a matter of personal choice what lens suits the individual.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 pm

brihacharan wrote:

Is your sigma 150-400 sufficient for wildlife trek?

Doc,
> This is a tricky question....
> Remember that longer the focal length of the lens the more difficult it is to keep your camera steady for a perfect blur free picture...
> Secondly longer the focal length one has to confront aperture limitations to get the right exposure...
> Hence you need a tripod strong enough to steady your camera...
> Unless you are in a hideout confined within for hours for your subject to appear - most wildlife shots are taken on the spur of the moment - wildlife do not offer the time to compose, focus, adjust etc & shoot....
> This is my personal experience - others may have a different opinion.....
> In my considered opinion a 150 / 400 is sufficient - however a 2x multiplier attachment will make it 300 / 800 which is adequete, while at the same time both the camera & lens are manageable.
> In case you cannot lug around a Tripod for some reason - Carry a bag-rest (a cloth bag 12" x 8" filled with sand or beans) on which you can rest your camera to avoid any shake.
> BTW - I'm a Life Member of the Photography Society of India & have attended seveal lec-dems by renowned wildlife photographers & also at the Bombay Natural History Society....
> Some of the photos of wildlife we see, admire & drool over were taken by photographers who have exposed several frames to get that "One Picture" and after having waited at a water hole, bush or treetop for days together.....
Cheers
Briha
Kudos! Briha ji you have covered the points very well, I really admire your knowledge in most of the topics you talk. As a matter of fact i somehow feel my taste is very similar to yours. :) Are you interested in vintage automobiles?

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi sir,

I have two DSLRs.

1- CANON EOS T2I (55OD)
And lenses forthis body are
1-a> 18 to 55mm basic kit lens (least use).
1-b> CANON 50mm f1.8 (for low light and portraiture, i am using it rarely)
1-c> TAMRON 17 to 50mm f2.8 non VR (for low light and general purposes) this is my favorite street gear.
1-d> CANON 70 to 200 F4L USM (For portraiture, Wild life and sports photography) My all time favorite professional lens.
1-e> CANON 400mm F5.6 L USM prime lens (for birding and wildlife photography) This is my favourite among all.
I have sold my 100 to 400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM to purchase CANON 400mm F5.6 L USM prime lens and i am happy with my decision.

2-NIKON D5100
2-a> 18 to 55mm basic kit lens (sparingly used).
2-b> 70 to 300mm F4.5 to 5.6 (for backup wildlife gear)

Apart from these i am using accessories as
Chinese Carbon fiber with ball head tripod not less than professional manfotto.
67mm hoya Pro1 DHMC (for 70-200mm F4LUSM) and B+W 77mm UV HAZE MRC 010M UV filters for my professional L USM lenses.

Regards
Aftab Khan
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:01 pm

My nikon D5100(+kit lense) with canon t2i (+70-200 F4L USM)on right side.

Myself with my Canon t2i (+400mm F5.6 L USM prime lens) mounted on Ball head tripod.

Regards
Aftab khan
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Aftab for sometime nikon seemed to be the choice by the professionals until recently canon seem to have taken over.whats your opine?do you carry nikon or canon on a wildlife safari or trek,what lense do you carry as alternative?what binocular you have to spot?
sorry for too many questions.
regards
dr.jk