Camera's and accessories.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Camera's and accessories.

Post by aftabkhan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:46 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:Aftab for sometime nikon seemed to be the choice by the professionals until recently canon seem to have taken over.whats your opine?do you carry nikon or canon on a wildlife safari or trek,what lense do you carry as alternative?what binocular you have to spot?
sorry for too many questions.
regards
dr.jk
sir,
Canon exist in market much before nikon in SLR sector. I am preferring canon for multiple reasons.
Viz
1- Canons Professional L lenses are better than its competitors. (my canon 70-200 F4 L USM gives better pictures as compared to nikon 70-300).
2- Canon t2i camera fits in my hand. i am feeling good to use its buttons as compared to nikon d5100.

Nikon bodys are cheaper than canon, i think its trap to attract customers. But nikon lenses are much much costlier than canon. It is marketing trap which compels customers to buy costlier nikon lenses for professional grade images.

As per world leading photo sharing websites FLICKR and FOTKI 61% users are canon owners (statistical data taken from camera finder option of flickr and fotki).

I am using my nikon camera for backups. my main wild life lenses are canon 70-200, canon 400 prime and nikon 70-300 (backup).
I always prefer to carry tripod and my preference is image quality. Sir, i dont have spotting binocular. I have two pairs of camouflage suits which helps me to get close to wild animals and birds.

regards
aftab khan.
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:
Moin. wrote:Dr.Saab, A Nikon D90 with a 50mm 1.8 Prime lense. learning the ropes...

Regards
Moin.
Moin and Ramdeep pictures of your camera please.
Moin,is D90 heavy to carry on trek?tell me about your experience with this camera,have you got pics which you think is awesome and why.
Ramdeep share your lenses with us.
regards
dr.jk
Well Dr.Saab its heavier and larger than the 3xxx and the 5xxx series. Is a proven workhorse since 2008 and i got a very sweet deal on the body. Got it second hand in mint condition for a steal. Will post pics soon.

Why dont you look at the D7000 prices he dropped drastically. Body was 44k last time i checked.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Dr. Saab why dont you check out JJMehta for sale forums. You get very good deals on used equipment. I brought mine through the website.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

Doc, I have a Canon EOS 500 D with 18-55 kit lens and 55-250 zoom lens (thanks to suggestions from IFG members). Tripod is a relatively cheap one from a local shop which I had purchased for my Sony Handycam. Don't have a dedicated macro lens, but a few macro attachments from ebay. I personally find 18 mm exposure with f/3.5 ok for the kind of closeups I do. Of course, I have never shot the eyes of a mosquito!! And yes, a Lowepro backpack.

I would recommend a Nikon, with its 18-300 lens. I believe Canon doesn't have a 18-300 or 250 lens, which can cover the whole zoom spectrum. Of course, 3rd party lenses are available, but somehow I feel more comfortable with OEM stuff! With a wide range of zoom, you don't have to fiddle around with changing lenses in the field.

Also, a mega zoom (non-SLR) is also good to have. Those 24X and 50X optical zoom lenses make a short work of distance!! I am actually on the lookout for a decent 2nd hand megazoom.

And as Brihaji said, I sometimes find myself taking pretty darn good pics with my cellphone.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 am

I am novice who is developing a keen interest in photography , so I am paying special attention to this thread .

I plan to buy a Canon EOS 600D Kit III (EF S18-55 IS II & EF S55-250 IS II) soon .
Product Link
essdee1972 wrote: I believe Canon doesn't have a 18-300 or 250 lens, which can cover the whole zoom spectrum.
What is your opinion on this lense ?

Canon EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Product Link

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am

FN-5-7, thanks for the link! My last search was over a year ago, probably this wasn't available then. Of course, since it costs a bit more than my current kit, I'll give it a miss for now!!!

I would still say that a full 18-200 or 18-300 would probably end up as your go to lens - the one always attached to the body. As and when my bank balance gets healther, I'll get one.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Friends,

A nice topic indeed. I am an oldtimer in photography with films :) . I am more of a collector than photographer.
Here are some of mine.

SLRs:
1. Pentax LX with 50mm 1.4 lens
2. Pentax MX with 50mm 1.8 lens
3. Nikon FM with Nikkor 50mm 1.8
4. Nikon FM2 (with beehive titanium shutter leaf) with 5 fps motordrive, Nikkor zoom 35-70, 3,5.
5. Olympus OM1 with G Zuiko 50mm 1.4
6. Olympus OM10 with 2.5 fps motordrive, 50mm F Zuiko, F Zuiko zoom 35-70, Zoom Tamron 70-210
7. Olympus OM2000 (made by Cosina) with F Zuiko 50mm 1.8, F Zuiko 28mm 2.8
8. Olympus PEN F FT with 40mm G Zuiko 1.4 + adapter for the normal Zuiko lenses - This is my prize camera
9. Minolta SRT303 with 50mm 1.4 + 135 mm 2.8
10. Praktica MTL3 with a superb Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.8 lens & a Carl Zeiss 135mm, 2.8 lens
11. Voigtlander VSL1
&
12. Olympus E500 with 2 standard zoom lenses, my only digital reflex camera bought way back in 2006.

Being an oldtimer, I still have the tripods, the short and long distance cable release, flash systems, all necessary equipments for a Black & White photo darkroom / lab.... Alas I do not have any place (anymore) to reinstall the dark room :) .

Well, I have a humble list of another thirty odd cameras mostly rangefinders and roll film cameras out of which the following worth mention because of their reputation and rarity.

1. Leica M3 with Summicron 50mm f2, Elmar 90mm, Summitar 28mm f2.8
2. Canon P
3. Voigtländer Vitessa L with 50mm f2 Ultron lens
4. Olympus 35SP
5. Rollei 35S (black body & Sonnar f2.8 lens)
6. Petri color 35

best regards
tirpassion

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 pm

@ tirpassion dada

I , on the behalf of other , like to cordially welcome you to the 21st Century where everything is digital , auto focused , auto apertured , Image stabilised and stuff . :)

On a serious note , You do have a very impressive collection . Thanks for sharing :)

The first camera I ever touched and clicked the shutter button was a RolleiFlex , which belonged to a friend of my Dad . Twin lense and 120 mm film .. hehe

F-N-Five-Seven

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm

tirpassion wrote:Friends,

A nice topic indeed. I am an oldtimer in photography with films :) . I am more of a collector than photographer.
Here are some of mine.

SLRs:
1. Pentax LX with 50mm 1.4 lens
2. Pentax MX with 50mm 1.8 lens
3. Nikon FM with Nikkor 50mm 1.8
4. Nikon FM2 (with beehive titanium shutter leaf) with 5 fps motordrive, Nikkor zoom 35-70, 3,5.
5. Olympus OM1 with G Zuiko 50mm 1.4
6. Olympus OM10 with 2.5 fps motordrive, 50mm F Zuiko, F Zuiko zoom 35-70, Zoom Tamron 70-210
7. Olympus OM2000 (made by Cosina) with F Zuiko 50mm 1.8, F Zuiko 28mm 2.8
8. Olympus PEN F FT with 40mm G Zuiko 1.4 + adapter for the normal Zuiko lenses - This is my prize camera
9. Minolta SRT303 with 50mm 1.4 + 135 mm 2.8
10. Praktica MTL3 with a superb Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.8 lens & a Carl Zeiss 135mm, 2.8 lens
11. Voigtlander VSL1
&
12. Olympus E500 with 2 standard zoom lenses, my only digital reflex camera bought way back in 2006.

Being an oldtimer, I still have the tripods, the short and long distance cable release, flash systems, all necessary equipments for a Black & White photo darkroom / lab.... Alas I do not have any place (anymore) to reinstall the dark room :) .

Well, I have a humble list of another thirty odd cameras mostly rangefinders and roll film cameras out of which the following worth mention because of their reputation and rarity.

1. Leica M3 with Summicron 50mm f2, Elmar 90mm, Summitar 28mm f2.8
2. Canon P
3. Voigtländer Vitessa L with 50mm f2 Ultron lens
4. Olympus 35SP
5. Rollei 35S (black body & Sonnar f2.8 lens)
6. Petri color 35

best regards
tirpassion
Good Lord Tirda... You can open a museum in Paris with all that jazz :)

Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 pm

aftabkhan wrote:[ Image ]
My nikon D5100(+kit lense) with canon t2i (+70-200 F4L USM)on right side.

[ Image ]
Myself with my Canon t2i (+400mm F5.6 L USM prime lens) mounted on Ball head tripod.

Regards
Aftab khan
Some serious fire power there Aftab. That 400 must be several multiples the cost of the T2i....

Regards
Moin.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Brhaji,Olly,Ramdeep,Moin,Essedee1972 and Tripassion thanks for sharing your equipments with us.
telephoto lenses like sigma,tamaron donot have vibration reducer(VR) unlike nikkor and canon telephoto lenses,does anyone have experience with sigma or tamaron?
regards
dr.jk

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote: sigma,tamaron do not have vibration reducer(VR)
They do.

aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote: telephoto lenses like sigma,tamaron donot have vibration reducer(VR) unlike nikkor and canon telephoto lenses,does anyone have experience with sigma or tamaron?
regards
dr.jk
Sigma 150 to 500 have VR. One of my friend is using this since 3 years.It is a proven lens.
At 400mm (over 400 up to 500mm picture sharpness decreases), F7.1 (sweet spot of this lens) and shutter not less than 1/250 seconds it produces sharp images.

Here are some sample images taken from Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM lense

All of the above pictures are taken by my friend MASOOD HUSSAIN.
Here is the flickr account link http://www.flickr.com/photos/hussainsgallery/
A sturdy tripod is must for this lens.

Regards
Aftab
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill - take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it has ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.

aftabkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by aftabkhan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Dr. JK sir, Sigma 150 to 500 is the next upgrade of nikkor 70 to 300. Most nikon users preferring this lense over nikon 80 to 400 (80-400 is very slow and not suitable for wildlife). And sigma 150-500 is cheaper alternative for canon users after canon 100-400 L USM and 400L USM. Its market price is around 65000.

Moin bhai, Canon 400L costs me around 1.02 lacs.

Regards
Aftab.

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:03 pm

@ aftabkhan

Truly beautiful wildlife photography .

What camera does your friend use ?

F-N-Five-Seven