Bear Goes After Its Rescuers

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Bear Goes After Its Rescuers

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 pm

This video is taken somewhere in Krishnagiri district, Tamilnadu,India. The obviously agitated bear went after its rescuers, a couple of forest guards.I am just glad that the beast wasn't set on fire or stoned to death like they did to one in Kashmir. Kudos to them for having rescued it and I am pleased that no serious harm came to them. However, that brings to focus the training they receive in rescuing wild animals.

[youtube][/youtube]

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Bear Goes After Its Rescuers

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks Vikram for sharing this video clip....
Looks like the bear was more frightened than being aggresive ... understandable because it had experienced the trauma of falling into the well...
Yes - truly happy to note that the poor critter was let loose back into the jungles & not lynched by the locals.
Briha

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 am

Then there is this issue reported in WSJ

I saw it on National geo too
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 07272.html

"ELY, Minn.—In the woods near here on a recent afternoon, a black bear lumbered toward Sue Mansfield. The 62-year-old biologist didn't try to scare the bear or look for an escape route. Instead, she opened her hand and offered the bear some pecans.

"It's me, bear," Ms. Mansfield said, as the bear she calls June scarfed up the nuts. "Yeah, hi, it's me."

Ms. Mansfield, treasurer of the Wildlife Research Institute, has developed a close relationship with the lean, 170-pound bear, since it received a radio collar in 2002 and became part of an unorthodox study aimed at re-examining commonly held beliefs about bears' behavior. Institute researchers believe that if humans changed their behavior toward bears through better understanding, both bears and humans could live harmoniously.

Now, the experiment could come to an end on July 31, the culmination of a long-running quarrel between state officials and the institute's leader, Lynn Rogers, over the familiar admonition: "Please Don't Feed the Bears.""

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 am

friends this happened close to my town.And happens often,we have had leopards,deer,wild boars falling in well and this is the first time we had a bear.we have been regularly visited by the elephants during summer.as we are experiencing severe drought,we have more and more wild animals knocking our doors especially wild boars.
but so far there has been no on toward incidence,except for an elephant killing a women last week.
the forest guard involved had few stitches and is fine now,and he is a hero :lol:
regards
dr.jk

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:55 am

He was just grouchy from being in the well. Later he cheered up when he had a lift home:
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:friends this happened close to my town.
{SNIP}
but so far there has been no on toward incidence,except for an elephant killing a women last week.
{SNIP}
regards
dr.jk
I am sorry to hear this, my prayers to the family suffering the loss.

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947