Leh Trip

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Leh Trip

Post by Safarigent » Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi all,
Planning a trip to Leh with the following itinerary:
14 june: start delhi, night stay in pathankot.
15: srinagar.
16: kargil.
17: leh.
18: leh. Apply for permits and sight see.
19. Hundar.
20: pangong tso
21. Leh.
22. Sarchu.
23. Manali.
24. Kasauli.
25. Delhi.

It will be only Me and my brother in my thar.
Provisions:
1. 2 jerry cans for diesel.
2. 2l coolant.
3. 1l Engine oil.
4. Spare fuses.
5. Spare headlamps.
6. Air pump.
7. Tow rope.
8. First aid box.
9. Tool box.
10. Tyre pressure gauge.
11. 50l of mineral water, to be replenished at every staging point until reaching kasauli.
12. Emergency rations consisting of chocolate bars, dry fruits and gur.
13. Rubbish bags of polythene to collect our trash.
14. Two -17'C sleeping bags.
15. Two man tent.
16. Axe.
17. 2 knives.
18. Map set.
19. Woolen clothes.

This is what comes to mind as of now.
Anything else that you guys can think of?
Thanks,
A
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Leh Trip

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Compass, lighter/matches, flashlights, Swiss Army Knife/any good multi-tool, spade, rain gear, duct tape and phone charger. You may need a crowbar to move medium sized boulders.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Tubeless puncture kit with a tube of vulcanising paste and at least 6 tubeless puncture plugs.
A couple of LED flashlights with plenty of spare cells.
A lantern is handy if one plans to camp out
Matches and/ or a lighter
A portable stove if you plan on having hot tea/ coffee/ breakfast, I could be mistaken but I think the kerosene stoves can use diesel in a pinch. If so, would save the hassle of carrying another fuel.

Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm

I had mentioned this list in another thread...Most of the thing which you, Mack and Abhijeet have already mentioned...

Sometime back I had made a checklist of essential things that I won't like to forget while camping.. Here it is..

Essentials..

Food & Fire:
Knife: Multitool, survival knife, Axe/Kukri

Magnesium fire steel, Matches, Lighter
Stove, Cooking ware, spoon, fuel tabs, spices pouches, sauce sachet,
Cotton, Vaseline,
Ready to eat food like Maggie, soup, canned food, mtr, high energy chocolate bars et, aluminum foils, milk powder, tea, coffee, sugar sachet

Shelter essentials:
Sleeping bag, tent, mat
100 ft Para cord
Mosquito repellent
Flash Light
Candles

Water:
Water bottle, portable water purifier, iodine tablets

Toiletries:
Hand sanitizer, solar shower, tooth paste, brush, comb, shaving kit, sun screen, towel, paper napkins, wipes, paper soap, soap bar, small mirror

Communication:
Mobile with long lasting batteries, solar/ dynamo charger
Walkie talkie, Radio, batteries

Entertainment
Playing cards, Books

Fishing equipment- line, hook, bobber, sinker

First aid kit
Pills: anti emetic, anti diarrheal, pain killer, antibiotics, gauge pieces, band aid, gloves, ORS

Self Defence
Pepper spray/hand gun

Misc..

Cloth, sun glasses, watch, boot, belt, pen, purse, money, IDs, Duct tape, thread, stitching needle, bags (Zipouch), camera, Maps

I am sure you would like to add or subtract many things from the above mentioned list according to your need..

-Nishith

P.S Do upload loads of pics and share your experience after returning back :cheers:

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 pm

As a jeeper I would suggest the following:

Instead of a tow rope, carry a sling type strip with 'D' shackles on both ends. I don't know the terminology but you get this easily in Delhi. Ropes have tendency to snap. Aluminium electric cables are an alternative if you are stranded and need something in a jiffy. Secondly, carry a full set of tools, especially spanners. Even if you are not a mechanic, you can find someone who is. That's when you will require them.

And lots of water. Both for drinking and otherwise.

And of course your shades.........goggles. For this I guess you know better, but the light is harsh in those upper reaches.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

I haven't seen a jumper kit. Could prove to be very handy should the battery give up.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

plz add a mini oxygen cylinder and dnt wrryy u will av plnty of army camps en route if need be they will help u out...best of luck waiting for your pics :cheers:

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am

hi mr Safarigent i will advise you do not reah so high altitude in hurry kindly make a more stopage between 15 june and 17 june so your body can adjust to high altitude lo oxygen air.Take kamphoor(kapur) crush it and tie in cloth and breath trough it and take pills sorry i dont remember name when you start to go higher altdude and finally no alchohal thanks

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

Vikram wrote:I haven't seen a jumper kit. Could prove to be very handy should the battery give up.
:agree:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 am

BSNL sim card
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu May 30, 2013 7:51 am

I would add to this

1.Tyre valves.My tyre wallah gave me a handful for free.Should not cost you 5-10 rupees for enough to last you a long long time.

2.A dye to change the valve.It was 5 rupees for one,when I bought them.

I have had a leaking valve leave me stranded twice.Never again.

3.A small padlock with chain

4.A length of nylon rope/parachute cord

5. A roll of duct tape.

6. A couple of sachets of detergent powder( just in case)

7.Paper soap.

8.Some of the hand sanitizer bottles will leak if they tilt or fall over and are left like that,creating a mess.I have found that the ones of "Himalya" brand don't leak.

9.Sachets of your favourite brand of shampoo.Sachets don't leak like shampoo bottles do...... and you can throw away the ones that you have used.

10.Vaseline will become runny in a hot car and ruin everything kept along with it.So secure the jar in a polythene bag.

11.A hat of some sort to protect your face and neck from the sun and use a sunscreen.At high altitude the sun will burn your skin very quickly.Baseball caps will not protect your neck. I have had sun burns on the top of my ears due to baseball caps once.

12.A pair of boots as a spare.Break in your boots before you leave.No brand new boots or you will regret it.

Take it easy.Allow your body to acclimatise and even then do not go running around.The army has the best medical facilities..... in Leh.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu May 30, 2013 8:51 am

After so many of us giving you suggestions, you may as well hire a support truck with all the equipment! ROTFL

Jokes aside, ashokgodara is pretty much correct.
hi mr Safarigent i will advise you do not reah so high altitude in hurry kindly make a more stopage between 15 june and 17 june so your body can adjust to high altitude lo oxygen air.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 am

If you are stuck somewhere ...i will PM you my number , i have a local contact there in case if you need any help.
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Don't see a camera in that list, be sure to take one with lots of spare memory cards and batteries.
Sun block or cream vital at those altitudes as is a hat.
Diamox tablets, one a day every morning, along with half a dispirin.
If you get a headache stop and rest, DON'T push it.
Do not forget to drink loads of water, urine must be clear and odorless if your water level is right.
From pangong tso go to or near Chushul and try and come back to Leh via high altitude game park, beautiful sightings of Kiang (mountain ass) and the very very rare black necked crane.
Most beautiful part of the world, bar none.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am

yah diamos tablests you should have it from start and end they will help you a lot.Take a pill from start point to end in H.P .It will be no use if you takes after 4000mts aaltitude.i wish you best of luck with your thar regards ak