Birds in Our Backyards

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birds in Our Backyards

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

I urge you all to think from a higher orbit on this aspect.

Its not my idea but has already implemented by a gentleman in/from Gujarat.

He has a piece of land with various fruit bearing trees. The fruits are not for sale, they are meant for the birds frequenting/staying in these trees. Some time ago he made an exception to this rule for his grandchildren with a caveat that fruits can be plucked but must be consumed on location only :D

What I am proposing is that those of us who can, invest in a piece of land in a nearby/your village or where you hail from and create a mini forest over there and create an environment for the flora and fauna to survive.

As for Mombai, there will be some species which will survive and some that will perish. One can stop their perishing but that involves going head to head with builders, local goons, politicians, government machinery etc. which may not be everybody's cup of tea. If you have any greenery on your Hsg Soc, do what you can so that it is not needed for the upcoming car park, then again this may not be easy as you will soon realise, if you have'nt already, that you are living amongst un-co-operative a**holes in a "co-operative housing society" (Pun intended and aimed between their legs)

If we love these colourful avians so much, then we must strive to protect their environment.

M.
brihacharan wrote:Hi Slingshot,
> I would want you to consider this suggestion of mine seriously :D
> Looking at the enormous variety of birds that frequent 'your backyard' that too lodged & sandwiched between highrises, you should catalogue them and publish a booklet for posterity.
> Because I shudder to think that a decade from now what with land developers & builders playing havoc with open spaces - your documentation will get archived :D
> You are indeed a lucky fellow to have the Avians consider your backyard "Worth their Visit" :D
> Perhaps this might open the eyes of our fellow Citizens, NGOs & Govt. to mobilize their concern to preserve what is left from being destroyed or even obiliterated from this beautiful island city - Mumbai.
> Give it a thought :D
Briha
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm

The Red Vented Bulbul

Though I have been trying to get better pictures of the Red Vented Bulbul, the chap is really hyperactive and never gives me a good clean picture. However, after a lot of patience, he finally posed for them :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no downside to Freedom!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Hats off to you Slingshot :D
You HAVE it in you .... :D

TC

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

TC wrote:Hats off to you Slingshot :D
You HAVE it in you .... :D

TC
TC, If only these birds could sit still :) Sometimes its really pissing off when they flit off just as I have clicked...but its rather rewarding and satisfying when they finally agree to be clicked :)

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

The Pond Heron

I was really lucky to find two of them loitering aimlessly in the patch of land. These chaps seem to have no social agenda and are content to basically browse around and sometimes take to flight. Notice how they are both different in their colouration :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi Slingshot,
> Your patience with the Red Vented Bulbul has truly paid off - Nice pics :D
> On a closer look & analysis the pic sequence to me reveals....
1. OK go ahead & take your pic :D
2. Would my side profile look better???? :)
3. Well that's enough :?
4. Now ...really.... how about this (showing his butt to you) :lol:
> Keep them coming ...beak, feather and all!
Briha

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Slingshot,
> Your patience with the Red Vented Bulbul has truly paid off - Nice pics :D
> On a closer look & analysis the pic sequence to me reveals....
1. OK go ahead & take your pic :D
2. Would my side profile look better???? :)
3. Well that's enough :?
4. Now ...really.... how about this (showing his butt to you) :lol:
> Keep them coming ...beak, feather and all!
Briha
ROTFL Briha Sir...that was exactly the way it happened. You are right :)

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Now I am literally tempted to make a dash to Maharashtra State Park and Karnala Bird Sanctuary. :cheers:

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Now I am literally tempted to make a dash to Maharashtra State Park and Karnala Bird Sanctuary. :cheers:
AGN
> While overcome with temptation you are headed to MSP & KBS to make acquaintence with our feathered friends - here's a suggestion.........
> Take a 8 x 50 or better still a 10 x 50 magnification Binoculars & a book on Birds of Maharashtra by Dr. Salim Ali - in addition a note book & pencil to make note of your sighting & species identified will certainly make your trip worthwhile :D
> If the Avian Bug has truly & sufficiently bit you, then proceed to acquire a 12 0r 14 megapixel digital camera with a 300mm tele-lens to capture their image for posterity :D
> Am sure you'll thank me for it some day :lol:
> Cheep - Cheep = Cheep.........
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 am

brihacharan wrote:[SNIP]
> Cheep - Cheep = Cheep.........
Briha
:oops: I currently have "shorthand" in the "bucks" department. :oops: But then one day, some day ...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Can You Believe This???

> I read in this morning's paper that the "Sex Life" amongst Birds has gone for a TOSS :D
> The report says that (findings by ornithologists) due to the following....
1. High rates of Air pollution
2. High rates of Noise pollution
3. Presence of too many Cell Phone Towers
4. Genetically modified grains & cereals
> All the above interfere with their mating calls during spring time - The Cuckoo, Warblers, Magpies, Thrushes etc. etc. are making random mating calls - morning, noon & night & the females are totally confused :D
> I shudder to think if this is going to be the state of affairs - Our Avian Friends will soon Go Berserk & will go the way of the Dodo :roll:
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Slingshot, again, amazing pics!! The hyperactivity of the feathered friends really gets my goat, when I need to change lenses and the chap loses patience and flies off!!

AGN, I have a 40X Olympus binoc you can borrow if you try out Karnala. Wouldn't it be better, however, to wait till the Holy Ra has some mercy on us?

Briha sir, we had Mad Cow disease, how soon before we have Mad Bird disease?? The primary reason for wildlife extinction is habitat destruction, and it gets my goat every time when someone says that hunting is the culprit.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Slingshot, again, amazing pics!! The hyperactivity of the feathered friends really gets my goat, when I need to change lenses and the chap loses patience and flies off!!

AGN, I have a 40X Olympus binoc you can borrow if you try out Karnala. Wouldn't it be better, however, to wait till the Holy Ra has some mercy on us?

Briha sir, we had Mad Cow disease, how soon before we have Mad Bird disease?? The primary reason for wildlife extinction is habitat destruction, and it gets my goat every time when someone says that hunting is the culprit.
SD,
> AGN, I have a 40X Olympus binoc you can borrow if you try out Karnala.
> Careful man, he might use it for watching "Birds of a Different Kind" ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
> The primary reason for wildlife extinction is habitat destruction, and it gets my goat every time when someone says that hunting is the culprit.
> This is the saddest part of the "Blame Game" - It's easy to blame others sitting in an armchair, while it takes interest & involvement to preserve & protect :x
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Brihaji, I won't hide it here - I did buy the humungous set of lenses with the "different kind of birds" in mind!!

Re. FF's suggestion, whatever native place I had went to the "other side" in '47, so the idea of a green zone shall await the day I get enough green to buy some big place! And the uncooperative housing society turned my target shooting plot (a piece of waste land where people used to temporarily store construction debris) into a children's park. Filled it with sand, so the butterflies which used to flock in the weeds and wild grasses have now gone, and with them the few non-pigeon birds which preyed on the butterflies. I did manage to teach my kid fire making with flint & steel before it, though!

I did try making a bird house / bath / feeder just outside the window grill in my flat, but unfortunately, instead of sparrows as I had hoped, the damn nuisance pigeons started using it, so I chucked it away.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Brihaji, I won't hide it here - I did buy the humungous set of lenses with the "different kind of birds" in mind!!
I did try making a bird house / bath / feeder just outside the window grill in my flat, but unfortunately, instead of sparrows as I had hoped, the damn nuisance pigeons started using it, so I chucked it away.
SD,
> Talking of Pigeons.... read this one...
> A scientist invented a machine whose "Rays" when directed on 'Statues' could make them come alive :D
> During the inauguration of this 'Scientific Breakthrough' when all leading dignitaries were present - The scientist switched on the machine & directed its Rays on the statue of a General in Uniform...
> To the utter amazement of all present the General came to life - The media who were present shot the first question to him...
> Tell us General - Now that you have come to Life - What will be the first thing you propose to do?
> In booming voice the General said - " I'll draw my pistol & Shoot All The Damn Pigeons" who messed me up!!! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha