Raising a Little Fund for the Forests

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Raising a Little Fund for the Forests

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:31 am

Thank you, Vikas.

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 pm

21 st March is the World Forestry Day.
Let us not waste time and start collecting the funds now.
It would be good if we can put in whatever is available right now and give it to this gentleman. Probably an initial amount which coincides with the event.

OT.
The Forest Research Institute . Dehradun . Had invited photographs for an exhibition to commemorate World Forestry Day.
A large number of photographers (amateur and professional) had sent in their entrys in three catogories 1. Landscapes 2.Nature and 3. Wildlife.
I sent 4 of my snaps in the "Wildlife" section.
My snaps have been selected and will be a part of the exhibit. Anyone in and around Doon is welcome to visit the exhibition.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Prashant,

This year it will not be possible to meet the 21st March cut-off.

Nitro Express and Veejosh have volunteered to find out and advice us how best we can support Molai. We are also looking at making this an annual event.

I think it's best we leave it to NE and VJ to decide on a plan of action, at their convenience. The POA will be posted on this thread once finalised.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Up it goes.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:31 pm

In for a penny in for a pound! Count me in folks. :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Done and thank you!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

any updates?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Just for the record, both sides of my family are major 'tree planters', my father in law plants 4-5 trees in his school each year,he has 23 trees fullgrown, mango, teak, coconut etc in just 6000 sq.ft of land with his house plonked right in the middle. My sister in Kolhapur conducts major tree planting drives on the premises of their sugar factory and private estate in Murgud, My personal humble contribution alongside my wife is 4-5 trees annually. Only last year we failed to plant anything because we were busy completing our house. This year, my wife is planning a major plantation drive behind our house. I think at least 20-30 saplings will be planted. She has already planted 4 .

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Count me in.

Cheers,
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Thank you,Amit.

HVJ1, That is awesome and I hope many more here would take inspiration from that.

Best-
Vikram

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes, but I forgot to SALUTE Molei Penyang. I salute him!

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Saw this late. If its still on please count me in.

Ice

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Iceman,

Of course you are in and thank you!

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

Gentemen,

Mack, Vikram and I have been discussing for a while now as how best we can support Mulai.

After I meet Veejosh, which should be sometime early next week and discuss the matter,we shall be drawing up a draft sustainable plan to help Mulai's effort.

In the meantime, Mack has asked me to post an update.So here it is -

Over the last weekend, as informed, I met the DFO Jorhat and the Beat Officer Majuli under whose jurisdiction Mulai's island falls.

The DFO informed me that around twenty years ago certain parts of Mulai's island was under the Social Forestry Deptt.'s afforestation program and that Molai used to be a casual labour under the Forest Deptt. involved in the afforestation program on the island.

As with all Social Forestry projects, the Forest Deptt. after sometime shifted its focus to some other area leaving the newly planted trees on Mulai's island to fend for themselves. This is when Mulai single handedly took it on himself to nurture the trees and plants on the island and extend the plantation to the other parts of his now 1300 acre forest known as Mulai Kathoni.The area experiences moderate to heavy floods almost every year which makes Mulai shift his residence to the mainland. However, once the water is down he immediately returns to the island to take care of his forest.

The DFO was of the opinion that Mulai was doing a good job as a responsible and sincere custodian of his little forest.That is, if a stretch of 1300 acre of green cover can be considered as "little”. In a way, I felt he was indicating that Mulai succeeded where the Deptt. failed.

When I asked the DFO about supporting Mulai's effort, he stated that if we can help him bring the other areas of Kartik Sapori (Mulai Khatoni is a part of Kartik Sapori) under a systematic green cover it would be great since the area is frequented by elephants, straying rhinos and other wildlife such as deer, buffaloes and sometimes big cats and would act as an extension/satellite habitat of Kaziranga NP.Moreover a herd of around 80 elephants have been moving in the area visiting Mulai's forest very frequently.

I support the team led by Beat Officer Majuli to track elephants in the riverine islands of Majuli and keep them out of human habitat. The Beat Officer informed me that the elephants have been spending prolong period of time in Mulai's island due to it's rich vegetation.

I also had a word with one of the members of my tracking team on the matter.It seems Mulai is very welcoming and a good host whenever the tracking team is in his area. Infact the tracking team uses Mulai's cowshed as a temporary camp whenever they are in the area.

I shall be visiting Mulai's area this Saturday. Shall write back once I have more information.

Cheers!
NE

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Dear Vikram,
count me in ...