Pop 'em between the eyes: they charge when wounded

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Pop 'em between the eyes: they charge when wounded

Post by timmy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 am

Check out the Iranian war on rats. If you have not been exposed to these big devils, it will come as a shock to see rats as big as cats. However, for people I knew (most of my family) who worked in the steel mills, these varmints were a serious matter. To shovel slag in a slag pit, a double team would be sent: one to shovel, the other to hold their shovels at the ready, to whack the rats and keep them at bay. There was no use in introducing cats in the steel mills, as the rats were more than a match and would kill them.

Anyway, check this article out:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/05/world/mea ... hpt=hp_bn2
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Pop 'em between the eyes: they charge when wounded

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:31 am

Timmy,

Unable to see the video due to a slow connection but if that's 16" from tip of tail to nose, that's a normal size for India as well and we refer to them as badicoots.

The largest of the large congregate at Parliament House.

Mack The Knife

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:Timmy,

Unable to see the video due to a slow connection but if that's 16" from tip of tail to nose, that's a normal size for India as well and we refer to them as badicoots.

The largest of the large congregate at Parliament House. ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Mack The Knife
> Looking at the picture of the guy holding a dead specimen - It's a Bandicoot.
> These are the largest amongst the Rodent Species that can measure anywhere between 12" to 16" from nose tip to tail.
> Two well known species are:
1. Bandiccota Bengalences (Found in India)
2. Bandicoota Norwegica (Native to Norwary) These are migratory by nature & use shipholds to migrate. Hence finding them in Iran could be thro' their arrival there by oil freighters / tankers. Many of the oil pumping stations in India too complain of these creatures.
3. They are very aggressive by nature and attack when provoked.
4. These Bandicoots are ground animals & not climbers like the other Rodent variety called :"Ratus Ratus" = these are fairly big though not as large as bandiccots - but have very long tails whose length could be twice their body length - they climb rafters / drain pipes & many high rise buildings are infested with them, mainly due to poor garbage disposal system.
5. Shooting them on sight will not help control them - they are very intelligent and send signal to others of impending danger!
6. The only successful / proven way is to use a "Rodenticide" which contains a chemical called "Bromodiolene".
7. This chemical is odourless & non toxic to Human Beings / Livestock / Poutry etc. It is mixed with edible wax + rice or cereal (which the rodents love to eat)
8. The effect of this chemical is through causing "Intestinal Bleeding" which occurs after 24 hrs after ingestion. The Rodent bleeds internally & dehydrtes & they come out of their hiding place in search of water & die.
9. So no stink of dead rats dying in hidden crevices! They come out in the open & die. Easy disposal of dead ones.
10.This chemical is a silent killer - the rat does not know what's happening to it so keep continuing to eat the bait & die.

> The above Gyan is the result of my being associated with the marketing of this chemical based rodenticide pan India.
> BTW - The Irula Tribe of Southern India find Bandicoot Meat a delicay - They go into fields carrying a smoking mashal & long flexible canes. They blow smoke into the rodent hole & when the rodent emerges give them a swift blow on their heads with the cane. Later they are skinned & barbecued.

Briha

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:19 pm

good info Briha.

will go get the bromodiolene rodenticide and throw the burrowing 'coots in my garden a last supper party
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Got to be kidding me. Army Snipers called in for Rat Menace. :o
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
The largest of the large congregate at Parliament House.

Mack The Knife
How sad but true Mack.. Like biblical plague ruining the country.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:49 pm

supershaji wrote:good info Briha.

will go get the bromodiolene rodenticide and throw the burrowing 'coots in my garden a last supper party
> The Brand Name for this is:
1. ROBAN
2. MORTEIN

They come in the form of 'blocks' similar to chocolate bars.
Brake the cubes & put one each into their burrows - thats it!

Briha

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:34 pm

brihacharan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you confusing a bandicoot (marsupial, endemic to australia) with a bandicoot rat
They are two different species IMHO
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

I think Anand is correct. The Norwegian rats I'm familiar with, and to which the clip appears to refer, are Rattus norvegicus from the order Rodentia, but the bandicoots are marsupials of the order Peramelemorphia. This means that the animals only share the Mammalia order and above, taxonomically speaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandicoot
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:53 am

hamiclar01 wrote:
brihacharan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you confusing a bandicoot (marsupial, endemic to australia) with a bandicoot rat
You're quite correct, Hamiclar but in India those are generically called a Bandicoot
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:12 am

xl_target wrote:
hamiclar01 wrote:
brihacharan wrote:
You're quite correct, Hamiclar but in India those are generically called a Bandicoot

> Yes! In India as I had referred earlier this species are categorized as:
1. Bandicoota begalences
2. Bandicoota Norvigica
> BTW the Australian variety belongs to the same 'Genus' - however there is one theory that when the early settlers landed in Australia the ship they sailed carried 'Bandicoota Norvegica' which over a period of time got adopted to the local environment and even grew a tad larger in due course.
> Nevertheless these are pests capable of destroying agricultural crops & a threat to poultry.
Briha

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

brihacharan wrote:
BTW the Australian variety belongs to the same 'Genus' - however there is one theory that when the early settlers landed in Australia the ship they sailed carried 'Bandicoota Norvegica' which over a period of time got adopted to the local environment and even grew a tad larger in due course.
OK, let me repeat myself very slowly.

The real deal, proper scientifically named bandicoot is a marsupial.
I believe in evolution, but I'm not sure how a large rat can jump off a ship and grow a pouch to carry a joey.
brihacharan wrote:
> Yes! In India as I had referred earlier this species are categorized as:
1. Bandicoota begalences
2. Bandicoota Norvigica
Can I ask you for your references. The zoology tomes I own do not list any such animal. There is a rattus norwegicus, though.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ar5e about the scientific name. :mrgreen:

In India, big rats are refered to as bandicoots or bandis for short.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ar5e about the scientific name. :mrgreen:

In India, big rats are refered to as bandicoots or bandis for short.

Same here.LOL.

They are commonly called bandicoots in our parts too and in Telugu "Pandikokkus"-literal translation pig-rats. Huge SoBs.

BTW, When I typed "Pandikokku" in google, it automatically translated it into "Was assembled" in Estonian! :shock: Funny world.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Vikram wrote:BTW, When I typed "Pandikokku" in google, it automatically translated it into "Was assembled" in Estonian! :shock: Funny world.
No, no...they merely jumped of an Estonian ship, silly! :mrgreen: