Indian Man Plants A 1,360 Acre Forest In Assam!

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Indian Man Plants A 1,360 Acre Forest In Assam!

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Kudos to the man. I hope if our friends from Assam know of him. Especially, Nitro.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... 99930.html

Indian Man, Jadav "Molai" Payeng, Single-Handedly Plants A 1,360 Acre Forest In Assam
More than 30 years ago, a teenager named Jadav "Molai" Payeng began planting seeds along a barren sandbar near his birthplace in India's Assam region, the Asian Age reports.

It was 1979 and floods had washed a great number of snakes onto the sandbar. When Payeng -- then only 16 -- found them, they had all died.

"The snakes died in the heat, without any tree cover. I sat down and wept over their lifeless forms," Payeng told the Times Of India.

"It was carnage. I alerted the forest department and asked them if they could grow trees there. They said nothing would grow there. Instead, they asked me to try growing bamboo. It was painful, but I did it. There was nobody to help me," he told the newspaper.

Now that once-barren sandbar is a sprawling 1,360 acre forest, home to several thousands of varieties of trees and an astounding diversity of wildlife -- including birds, deer, apes, rhino, elephants and even tigers.

The forest, aptly called the "Molai woods" after its creator's nickname, was single-handedly planted and cultivated by one man -- Payeng, who is now 47.

According to the Asian Age, Payeng has dedicated his life to the upkeep and growth of the forest. Accepting a life of isolation, he started living alone on the sandbar as a teenager -- spending his days tending the burgeoning plants.

Today, Payeng still lives in the forest. He shares a small hut with his wife and three children and makes a living selling cow and buffalo milk, OddityCentral.com reports.

According to the Assistant Conservator of Forests, Gunin Saikia, it is perhaps the world’s biggest forest in the middle of a river.

"We were surprised to find such a dense forest on the sandbar," Saikia told the Times Of India, adding that officials in the region only learned of Payeng's forest in 2008.

Finally, Payeng may get the help -- and recognition -- he deserves.

"[Locals] wanted to cut down the forest, but Payeng dared them to kill him instead. He treats the trees and animals like his own children. Seeing this, we, too, decided to pitch in," Saikia said.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Indian Man Plants A 1,360 Acre Forest In Assam!

Post by striker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Jadav "Molai" Payeng :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: hats off

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Maybe this guy should give the Forest Department some lessons. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Vikram, thanks a lot for posting this. Just shows how much we as individuals can do for our environment.

This is also the sort of person, we as a group, should support and encourage. So how about we have a fund raising drive and have a member in Assam hand over the collection to Molai?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:Vikram, thanks a lot for posting this. Just shows how much we as individuals can do for our environment.

This is also the sort of person, we as a group, should support and encourage. So how about we have a fund raising drive and have a member in Assam hand over the collection to Molai?
Most excellent thought. I am absolutely in. Let us raise a little fund for this gentleman. We can request NitroExpress to do the honour and he is the right person to do it, IMHO.

Best-
Vikram

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:43 am

I am in.
To Excellence through Diligence.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 am

Great post. I would salute this man for making us realize not just our responsibilities but also capability. Self will will make you do amazing things.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am

Mack The Knife wrote:Vikram, thanks a lot for posting this. Just shows how much we as individuals can do for our environment.

mack count me in.
regards
dr.jk

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Bump.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Vikram, would you please draw NEs attention to this thread and ask him whether he would be willing to collect our contributions, in what form and to which address and whether he would be willing to go and give the amount to Molai in person.

Also, what about Veejosh? Isn't he from Assam as well?

I would like to collect atleast a lakh for Molai.

I'll get the ball rolling...

Should someone buy the Puma knife and Cabelas vest I have listed on the sale thread, the proceeds from these two items will be sent to NE or whoever volunteers to do the needful.

Guys and gals, please post your contributions on this thread but don't send the amount till such time as we have a volunteer to collect and deliver the money to Molai. The amount you wish to give is entirely left to you.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Mack,

I emailed NE just now and hopefully he will reply here.

Best-
Vikram

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks Vikram.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:13 pm

OT:
Bloody hell!
Id that actually your size??
I mean i could stitch up the holes and use that vest as a tent!
:D

Back to the thread.
Last edited by Safarigent on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Excellence through Diligence.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Mr Vikram Thanks a TON . These are the real patriotic sons of the INDIAN soil.He is definitely a BHARATH RATNA. Even forest department of a whole state has not done this . My Heartfelt best wishes to this real son of the soil. Jai Hind.

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Vikram wrote:Mack,

I emailed NE just now and hopefully he will reply here.

Best-
Vikram
Hello Gentlemen,
I have been keeping off the keybord for a while now due to injuries.
Vikram - I have replied to your mail.
Here is more on "Molai" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadav_Payeng
Regards,
NE