Delhi to Goa road trip

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Delhi to Goa road trip

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:57 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything of substance on the board and while I've had demands on my time, I can't but help feel guilty of neglecting my friends here :oops: . I've had to make several longish road trips (for work/ pleasure, alone/ with business partners/ with the wife & kids) in the past 12 months and since I seem to spend more time these days on road than anywhere else, thought I'd begin my "claw in" with sharing the experience of this trip with everyone here - as it happens! :)

It's a boys only trip with no real mandate other than to hit Goa and come back to Delhi within the next 10 days, (hopefully) having ourselves a good time en route, angling in a few water bodies (if the Gods bless us, maybe we'll even catch something)! Initially it was supposed to be 4 of us, but Murphy's law kicked in and we had one drop out just 48 hours before we were to depart (which is 7 AM tomorrow).

So now it's 3 men in a boat (SUV actually, so maybe we should call it a ship? :P ) and the initial agenda, so far as we've planned, is to hit Shivpuri (Madhya Pradesh) sometime after lunch and cast off by 3-3:30 PM tomorrow.

Next up is Nashik via Indore, which (I'm told) will probably be the most gruelling stretch of the journey - a 14+ hour drive with half of it (Shivpuri - Indore) over rather poor roads (which can pretty much mean anything in India). Indore - Nashik is supposed to be a super road though, lets see! We expect to just hit the sack on arrival and depart early morning for Goa, (all going well) arriving by mid-evening in Goa.

The way back is still undecided, but we've been talking about a night in Daman and then a straight drive from there to Udaipur, then on to Swai Madhopur (Ranthambhor National Park) and finally back in Delhi on the 20th.

Hoping to get in a bit of angling almost every day, including (a first for me) some shore/ creek fishing while in Goa.

Will try to keep updating this thread as it happens :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Delhi to Goa road trip

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Safe journey and keep us updated. Pics can be uploaded later, if need be.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 am

Looking forward to seeing the photos from this trip.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:35 am

do not forget to pack your puncture repair kit.

happy rolling mate
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 am

have a safe trip abhijeet.

best
moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 am

MP roads( if you can call them that) were real bad. There is highway work going on. Most of the journey is bone breaking. I did a Bangy to Ldh trip few months ago. This a vid somewhere between Jhansi and Nagpur, we took MP route while going and came back via GQ, which is a breeze BTW. Look at the Truck in front to gauge the depth of that hole :)

(Please pardon my Punyanvi there :mrgreen:)

There are many rivers in MP which look like heaven for Maral and Malhi. I hope you are carrying some scum frogs. Try your luck there.

Best of Luck and click loads of pics.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

In case you do decide to spend a night in Indore- don't forget to visit Sarafa at night- foodie's paradise!

Have a safe trip.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm

That was a scary one,Inder.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm

That was one of the scary one Vikers, my cousin told me there was another one atleast 75-100ft high which we crossed. I didn't get to experience that coz i wad dozzing that time :mrgreen: . Just to give you an Idea here is one of the pics just after crossing MP.
untitled.jpg
Some of the highway which was completed was very good but rest of it is hellish and another big problem in MP is cattle on the road. They are in tens of thousand and all of them are on roads. We must have seen atleast 50 cattle road kills but good thing about MP is partridges on the road side, saw hordes of them. If ever hunting gets legalised in India, i know where to go for some upland fun :)

-Inder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 am

Update :
Left south Delhi at around 7.15 a.m. today, entered Agra around 2 hours later, we took the new greater NOIDA expressway. An absolutely fab drive, highly recommended!

From there on it took us about an hour to wade through Sunday morning city traffic. Anyhow, 450 odd kms later, with a brief halt just after Dholpur, we reached Madhi Khera dam. This is bang in the middle of a nationall forest, about an hour before Shivpuri. The initial idea was that we'd do some angling there before crashing out at the irrigation dept. guest house. Upon reaching there, we spent an hour or more on a tour of the hydel plant and dam, leaving little time for fishing. We probably could have still managed at least an hour or more on the water, but as things turned out the power transformer at the guest house was shot and we needed to find ourselves alternate digs before dark. Wasted opportunity, but 9 more days to go, fingers crossed! :)

Tomorrow we have a 14 hour drive from Shivpuri too Nashik via Indore, so will hit the sack now and try and post again tomorrow.
Cheers!
Abhijeet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 am

Road condition so far - Delhi too Agra via the new expressway is excellent

Agra to Dholpur and to almost Gwalior is a great 4 lane road (almost throughout) some short stretches are a work in progress.

Gwalior to Shivpuri is a mediocre 2 lane highway and I'm told that this is the road condition all the way to Indore! :-P

www.gunowners.in

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 am

Wow! Abhijit,
That is not a pothole. That is an axle breaker at best or a car swallower at worst.
Does the SUV have 4 wheel drive?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 am

Goog Going Abhijeet,

Yamuna expressway have taken the pain out for going to Agra. One of the best roads in India.

Be safe

-Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks for the update.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am

There is nothing in life quite like a good road trip! Hope you are getting the chance to enjoy seeing scenery and sights, along the way, and doing a little thinking and reflection. Of course, these days there are accursed cell phones, causing the traditional places where one could hide from the world for a short time, like cars and restrooms, to become little more than a bench in the middle of a bus depot. Hopefully, you will get the opportunity to turn off the electronic leash and run free for a little bit!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman