Hunting in India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Bruno
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hunting in India

Post by Bruno » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:04 am

Is there any legal hunting in India?

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 am

From what friends here have told me, a couple of years ago the state of Jharkhand sold some hunting licenses to non Indians for feral pigs. There are rumours that Nilgai hunting may be opened up. Otherwise there is no hunting at all. Farmers are allowed to shoot vermin on crop protection permits but nothing more.

Cheers,

Mehul

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Nilgai has been officially allowed to hunt in Gujarat. The process is that you need official documents from the district officials and the village sarpanch or mukhiya. And that you cannot consume the animal. It has to be buried. This has been done because the Nilgai population has exploded over the recent years and are wrecking a havoc on the crops.

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 am

Why can't you eat it, if you can kill it?

-N

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 am

axp817 wrote:Why can't you eat it, if you can kill it?

-N

Good Question..... :D I would really like to know the policymaker's reasoning behind it tho.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:05 am

conty1 wrote:

-N

Good Question..... :D I would really like to know the policymaker's reasoning behind it tho.
religious or due to tribal sentiments just like Bishnois who rever them.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:23 am

Amit,

Is this restricted to residents or can non residents take a Nilgai with the requisite documentation? I am curious as my family owns a wadi a little away from Rajkot - just wondering if something could be worked out when I visit India next.

Cheers,

Mehul

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 am

I am not real sure on what the laws are for residents or non-residents. But I am sure you could easily get a permit (tag??) to hunt Nilgai if you have a Indian Gun Licence. The only thing you would need is an approval from the village mukhiya.

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:08 pm

-N
Then the very purpose of the exercise gets defeated & it will get out of hand very fast.The fear of the law is what has spared India whatever wildlife it has left, in the patches we call National Parks/Santuaries/Reserved Forests.Though poachers have a ball of a time,especially in the jungles bordering Nepal.
Also Nilgai,though of antelope & not bovine family,is not eaten by Hindus as it has "gai" or cow in it's name,an animal revered by them.Others seem to have no such reservations.
To answer the main question though, anything is possible if u have money & connections.If so, go get urself a Royal Bengal.
As it is, I am pretty sure that the future generations would see them only in pictures & stuffed skins at the museums.
If u wish to satisfy ur hunting instinct though, give the animal a chance at least.Go get urself a maneater that is prowling the Dudhwa National Forest in U.P, in his own territory.He has 5 kills till date.
Thanks.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:25 pm

ngrewal wrote: religious or due to tribal sentiments just like Bishnois who rever them.
AFAIK Bishnois revere all kinds of animals and not just Nilgai...

Coming back to the main discussion, shooting Nilgai (Blue Bull)/ Wild Boar/ etc. has been allowed in certain areas/ states, purely for the purpose of crop protection. The theory goes that NO animal is going to be shot for sport or food, which as per current Indian law is quite illegal therefore the restriction on depositing the carcass with the authorities.

In practice however, such animals are indeed shot for sport and also eaten. Once an animal has been shot, 2-3 members from a certain caste, with expertise in butchering animals are called in to cut up the carcass. They can skin, clean, and chop a full grown Nilgai and pack it into gunny sacks within 15-20 minutes, leaving behind just offal for the scavengers to feast upon.

Also, along with everything else even game birds like partridges, quail, sand grouse etc. are off limits - but in practice, if you visit the rural residence of any large landlord in N. India, you will have the opportunity to indulge in a spot of shooting...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sniperdude
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Hunting in India

Post by sniperdude » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:07 am

Its to discourage hunting for meat, typically this niche wld soon be exploited by some enterprising young man, no doubt.
kinda makes sense though.
This way there can be no mitigating circumstances.
its stil a shame though.

sniperdude
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sniperdude » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:10 am

Kshatriya";p="1737 wrote:

-N
Then the very purpose of the exercise gets defeated & it will get out of hand very fast.The fear of the law is what has spared India whatever wildlife it has left, in the patches we call National Parks/Santuaries/Reserved Forests.Though poachers have a ball of a time,especially in the jungles bordering Nepal.
Also Nilgai,though of antelope & not bovine family,is not eaten by Hindus as it has "gai" or cow in it's name,an animal revered by them.Others seem to have no such reservations.
To answer the main question though, anything is possible if u have money & connections.If so, go get urself a Royal Bengal.
As it is, I am pretty sure that the future generations would see them only in pictures & stuffed skins at the museums.
If u wish to satisfy ur hunting instinct though, give the animal a chance at least.Go get urself a maneater that is prowling the Dudhwa National Forest in U.P, in his own territory.He has 5 kills till date.
Thanks.

Would be keen to know more about [email protected], thanx

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Hunting should be permitted in india by government. They should make certain laws that a person can shoot only males and a limited numbers in a season. The government can collect a hudge revenue from this by allowing a hunting liscence in hunting seasons for that they can charge per game you kill.

Danish

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:48 pm

Danish, the government can collect a helluva lot revenue by way of improving its direct/indirect taxation measures & collections.
Why would one like to shoot an unarmed animal with a high powered rifle, just for the adrenaline rush? Even the most ardent of the hunters in history have turned conservationists in their later years, when they realised the fruitlessness of their pursuits.
It just like a person trying to pick on a weaker one. If u like some fun try pickng someone of ur size & means.
I have been brought up with stories & trophies of shoots in the heydays of Shikar, & I even now keep 15-20 days a year for my twice yearly visits to National Parks around & let me assure u that shooting with a camera is a lot more satisfying.
But this again is a personal opinion.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Hunting in India

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:21 pm

Why would one like to shoot an unarmed animal with a high powered rifle, just for the adrenaline rush?
If you are not sure about the reason, you should try it before pontificating.

Make sure you put that tin hat on, there is going to be a bit of incoming. :wink:
I have been brought up with stories & trophies of shoots in the heydays of Shikar, & I even now keep 15-20 days a year for my twice yearly visits to National Parks around & let me assure u that shooting with a camera is a lot more satisfying.
Once again, how would you know if you haven't tried it? I fish and photograph and I'll take fishing over photography any old day. You must have fallen asleep when those stories were being told, otherwise you would realise that there is a lot more to hunting than merely releasing the trigger.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the subject before you make any more insinuations.

Mack The Knife