Following the rules

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Following the rules

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 am

It is illegal to bait deer in most states. You must shoot them after fair chase.
You can call them in, waylay them on a trail, sneak up on them at their bedding area (good luck), have a team drive the woods towards you, etc. but you cannot put a pile of corn or other edible stuff out there and then sit over it to get them when they come in to feed. If you get caught baiting them, they will usually take your hunting licence and there will be civil penalties also.

Someone with a good sense of humor came up with this sign.

A guy from Pennsylvania posted this on SIG Forum
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Following the rules

Post by TC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:59 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

XL.... this is too good

Thanks for sharing

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi xl-target,
> Just loved it ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Good one. :mrgreen:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

ROTFL ROTFL
nice one

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:15 am

I recently got my wa state hunting license and I did not read this restriction, so I guess it's allowed in WA state I guess :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:48 am

Each state has its own hunting regulations, although migratory waterfowl hunting also has federal rules, as well. Federal rules apply to animals that are considered endangered.

Additionally, if one is hunting on a Native American Reservation, tribal rules will apply.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 am

Bhargav wrote:I recently got my wa state hunting license and I did not read this restriction, so I guess it's allowed in WA state I guess :)
It won't tell you that on your license. Better read the game regulations as well, before a game warden and magistrate read them to you. :D

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 am

D -

Isn't it true that you can bait, but not into the season. I think Illinois allows baiting upto 30 days prior to the season opener!!

True/False?

Cheers,
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:00 pm

I believe it is 10 days. So you can supposedly put food out but then it needs to be removed 10 days before the season starts. However, when CWD (chronic wasting disease) started to appear there was a law passed banning the feeding of deer at all so I suppose that trumps the law requiring the food removal.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Hunting a deer is legal ( with hunting permits ) , but baiting is not , is almost like killing a man is fine , threatening him is not.
Guess things are different in The Land of Brave & Funny .
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

FN,

It was only 2 or 3 generations ago that hunting was an important part of the diet to many people who lived outside of the cities, and many techniques that are effective for gathering food may not be considered that sporting in other situations.

Deer can roam over quite a bit of ground, but they are also creatures of habit once those habits get formed. Very few people own enough land to encompass a deers territory, so feeding and food plots are used to help attract them to an area. Then it is hoped that the area becomes part of the range of that animal. That is different than putting out a salt block or pouring molasses on the ground next to a hunting blind.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947