tiger charge video...

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Rajat,

No idea of actual speeds etc but I remember a National Geographic article some years ago which compared the times at whcih different cats could accelerate from 10 to 30 mph, 20 to 30 mph etc against the then Chevrolet Corvette, a very fast car whatever the vintage you look at. All the cats beat it hands down. If I remember right, it said that a lion could cover a 50 metre distance in a little less than two seconds - how that compares to a tiger is something I don't know, but it should be very similar.

No wonder the Zimbabwe PH course is a two year long one which is considered one of the toughest courses in the world. Perhaps, something for someone with army levels of fitness to consider...

Cheers,

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:21 pm

I saw a video of a PH & a client in Africa who got charged by a injured leopard from 9 paces. Time taken from start of charge to the time the leopard mauled the ph, 0.7 seconds. Ph fired both barrels of the 12ga shotgun, both shots connected. Leopard died about 5 seconds later.

Ph had his rhodhesian ridgeback dog with him which had growled & warned about the leopards presense..

sat

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Me and my taigar

Post by jonahpach » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey you wildlife buffs, nice pics! I just couldnt resist posting this photo of me and Kiki (my pet mascot). For your viewing pleasure!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225 ... /DC029.jpg

Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Lovely pic, Jonah.

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:43 pm

nice pic, can you have wild animals as pets in your parts?

-N

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:59 am

Jonah,

That is so lovely a pic.Thanks.What is that, aTiger/leopard cub or a Jungle cat?Did you see, it went for the jugular! :lol: :shock:

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 am

Let me guess I can be of the mark. the cat doesnt look like Lynx or any Indian wild cat. based on its skin pattern I may render a wild guess Clouded leapord cub?

My guess based on this picture

http://www.wildaboutcats.org/indri.htm

Regards
navi

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:04 am

What a beauty!! Looks like a clouded leopard, Neofelis nebulosa.

" its a medium-sized cat, 60 to 110 cm (2' to 3'6") long and weighing between 11 and 20 kg (25 lbs 4oz to 44lbs). It has a tan or tawny coat, distinctively marked with large, irregularly-shaped, dark-edged ellipses which are said to be shaped like clouds hence both its common and scientific names. Because of its distinct skull structure it is considered sufficiently different to be the only member of its genus.

Because their major prey animals live in trees, Clouded Leopards have become excellent climbers. Short, flexible legs, large paws, and keen claws combine to make them very sure-footed. Clouded Leopards can possess tails as long as their bodies, further aiding in balance. Surprisingly, the cats can climb while hanging upside-down under branches and descend tree trunks head-first."

http://www.cloudedleopard.org/about.htm

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:44 am

On the dot! Yup its a clouded leopard alrighty. Its about 1.5 years old and almost fullgrown. Not exactly a household pet though she is as tame as cat. She was rescued from a burning forest when she was a kitten. Our wildlife NGO is now taking care of her.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:11 am

jonahpach wrote:On the dot! Yup its a clouded leopard alrighty. Its about 1.5 years old and almost fullgrown. Not exactly a household pet though she is as tame as cat. She was rescued from a burning forest when she was a kitten. Our wildlife NGO is now taking care of her.
Bless you, Jonah. We need more like you in our country.

Just as a gentle reminder with a feline of that strength......

Caution gory spectacle. Mods, kindly delete it if you deem it is not right. TIA.

http://thatvideosite.com/view/3044.html

By the dress of the keepers, I deduce that it must have happened in either Pakistan or, if not, in Afghanistan.

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:48 pm

More on the tiger charge vid.

Whole Story

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

gillgurtej
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gillgurtej » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 am

It is a great one.

The video is more clear on google.

Gurtej

stripes
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by stripes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:12 pm

gillgurtej - Can you post that Google link which is clearer?
The links I have found are all a bit fuzzy.

gillgurtej
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gillgurtej » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:47 am

here is the link

[gvideo]-5001042479898028675[/gvideo]

It only shows upto the leap but I went ahead out of curiosity to buy the whole video which only added few more seconds as it is on other websites.
I don't know if I can forward it to you and or not because it opens only from my e-mail after verifying the user.

I will say it is not worth buying it if you have even watched the other videos which are not so clear.

Gurtej Singh Gill

stripes
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by stripes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:21 am

Thank You! Very much appreciated.